Are STT Pros $335 better than Trail Grappler?

phillypete

I am in the process of some pretty serious work to my 2013 JKU, all in support of going to 40" Tires. Based on all the positive reviews on here I started looking at the Cooper STT Pros, but in the process found a deal on the Nitto Trail Grapplers for about $335 less for the set of 5.

Considering I'll probably get 3 years out of this set of tires $335 isn't a huge deal. However right this second $335 could be reallocated to other areas of the build and make a significant difference.

My Jeep usage is primary daily driver, about 20 miles each way on interstate. About 2 weekends a month of offloading at various Midwest ORV parks: loose rocks, light mud (I try to avoid it). After this phase of the build I'd like to make some trips to the desert and Rockies.

So, based on my usage will the Cooper out perform the Nitto enough to justify the extra expense?

Thanks,

Pete

jesse3638

Hooked
I am in the process of some pretty serious work to my 2013 JKU, all in support of going to 40" Tires. Based on all the positive reviews on here I started looking at the Cooper STT Pros, but in the process found a deal on the Nitto Trail Grapplers for about $335 less for the set of 5.

Considering I'll probably get 3 years out of this set of tires $335 isn't a huge deal. However right this second $335 could be reallocated to other areas of the build and make a significant difference.

My Jeep usage is primary daily driver, about 20 miles each way on interstate. About 2 weekends a month of offloading at various Midwest ORV parks: loose rocks, light mud (I try to avoid it). After this phase of the build I'd like to make some trips to the desert and Rockies.

So, based on my usage will the Cooper out perform the Nitto enough to justify the extra expense?

Thanks,

Pete

Having not used either I don't have much to offer, however those are my two choices when I got to 37's. At $84 cheaper per tire I'm probably going to go with the Coopers.

Exodus 4x4

When you look at them, which one would rather see on your Jeep?

Point being, they’re both good quality tires so it comes down to what you like. I’ve run both and have been happy with both. If I had to choose between the 2 I’d choose the Nitto because I just prefer the tread pattern over Cooper.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK07

I’ve had both (TG in 35” and STT in 37” & 40”) and based on that experience, I prefer the STT Pros. The TG seemed to get noticeably harder in winter and it made for a rough ride. Not sure if the TG in 40” is a softer compound but that would make it a tough choice for me. Like Exodus, I do like the TG overall look more, especially in 40”. Assuming the TG tread was softer in 40”, I might jump on that deal. Bottom line, both great tires.

Exodus 4x4

I’ve had both (TG in 35” and STT in 37” & 40”) and based on that experience, I prefer the STT Pros. The TG seemed to get noticeably harder in winter and it made for a rough ride. Not sure if the TG in 40” is a softer compound but that would make it a tough choice for me. Like Exodus, I do like the TG overall look more, especially in 40”. Assuming the TG tread was softer in 40”, I might jump on that deal. Bottom line, both great tires.

Now that you mention it the 35’s on the shop truck seem harder after a year. The 40’s not so much and could have a different compound being made in Japan.

BaddestCross

The Trail Grapplers in 35s are load range E and have super stiff sidewalls. Their 37s are load range D and are softer. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Nittos as they have a great track record (literally) and have held up amazingly well for a M/T... Ask Mel which one he prefers. 😎

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom