Turbo in a flat four

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
The problem with turbos in Jeep's and any off-road vehicle is the lack of power in the low end. Imagine having to rev the engine harder than usual and having the turbo spool up and giving a surge of power halfway up a climb. This could end up being uncontrollable. Ideally a supercharger is the most ideal for trail use because of the balance of low end and high end power but the whine on the trails is also freaking annoying.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

Turbos can work great if they are done correctly and have supporting modifications. Smaller turbine housings can spool at very low rpm and have great torque advantages. Should you put one on your flat four? Only you can answer that question. Pistons,rods,compression ratio,cam selection all come into play in order to set it up correctly. How much boost and at what rpm etc etc etc. It’s a really general question. If you want to just bolt it on and go then the answer is probably no. Done right turbos are very efficient power, but there’s a lot to do with that internals and tuning to make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Turbo done correctly is awesome in a Jeep. The 4 cylinder engine... not so much. Upgrade to a 4.0l or look at engine swaps. For the money to turbo and standalone or piggyback it you would get further with spending hat money on a better starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom