Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: MPG Towing

  1. #11
    Been Around the Block RSQCON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    People are always telling me what great mileage diesels get....
    They do get pretty good mileage but it's not really about their weight when unloaded it's what they do when towing. I currently have a Ram 3500 Mega cab with a mild 3" lift in the front and 1" in the rear running 35" tires on stock 3.42 gears. I get 15-17mpg everyday driving but I've pulled a 36' 5er weighing 14k and now my PJ buggy hauler with Jeep weighing 10k. I get 10mpg all day long...I could do better if I didn't pull 70mph up the grades without breaking a sweat. I lost 2-3 mpg when I went from stock tires to 35s but loaded and unloaded.

    I will be selling the Ram and getting a 2019 Suburban that has the L96 6.0. I'm not crazy about the motor but it's the only motor they put in the Suburban 3500HD so we'll see how it does towing.

  2. #12
    That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    14,186
    Quote Originally Posted by RSQCON View Post
    They do get pretty good mileage but it's not really about their weight when unloaded it's what they do when towing. I currently have a Ram 3500 Mega cab with a mild 3" lift in the front and 1" in the rear running 35" tires on stock 3.42 gears. I get 15-17mpg everyday driving but I've pulled a 36' 5er weighing 14k and now my PJ buggy hauler with Jeep weighing 10k. I get 10mpg all day long...I could do better if I didn't pull 70mph up the grades without breaking a sweat. I lost 2-3 mpg when I went from stock tires to 35s but loaded and unloaded.

    I will be selling the Ram and getting a 2019 Suburban that has the L96 6.0. I'm not crazy about the motor but it's the only motor they put in the Suburban 3500HD so we'll see how it does towing.
    The 6.0 wonít pull like a diesel, but itís strong, and reliable. It like gas, though.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

  3. #13
    Been Around the Block RSQCON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    316
    What does your old man get with his 6.0 not towing? One great thing about that motor is it does NOT have all the new cylinder deactivation or automated fuel management than the new GM motors are getting. I'd be happy with 9mpg towing I just hope I get 17 or better around town.

  4. #14
    That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    14,186
    Quote Originally Posted by RSQCON View Post
    What does your old man get with his 6.0 not towing? One great thing about that motor is it does NOT have all the new cylinder deactivation or automated fuel management than the new GM motors are getting. I'd be happy with 9mpg towing I just hope I get 17 or better around town.
    Itís a 2003 crew cab, regular bed 2500 Chevy. I drove it for a few weeks. It gets 14 to 17, depending on how hard you drive it. It has well over 100,000 miles on it, and heís only replaced the starter, and the flywheel cracked, but the mechanic said heíd never seen that happen on one before.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

  5. #15
    Knows a Thing or Two Dale72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jackson MS
    Posts
    875
    20170123_133653.jpg3863.jpgWhen I was delivering these it depend on the trl and the wind on the mpg I got. With out the trls I could go about 650 miles on a tank but with a trl about 300 miles per tank

    Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

  6. #16
    That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    14,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale72 View Post
    20170123_133653.jpg3863.jpgWhen I was delivering these it depend on the trl and the wind on the mpg I got. With out the trls I could go about 650 miles on a tank but with a trl about 300 miles per tank

    Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    No kidding. The wind can be a bitch. Seems like Iím never lucky enough to get a tailwind.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

  7. #17
    Knows a Thing or Two Dale72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jackson MS
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    No kidding. The wind can be a bitch. Seems like Iím never lucky enough to get a tailwind.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Yeah plus my big heavy foot. The bottom one empty weight was just under 18,000 lbs

    Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

  8. #18
    That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Madison, MS
    Posts
    14,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale72 View Post
    Yeah plus my big heavy foot. The bottom one empty weight was just under 18,000 lbs

    Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Lol, thatís one reason my mileage was worse between Dallas & Mississippi. I had my foot in it!


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

  9. #19
    Knows a Thing or Two Dale72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Jackson MS
    Posts
    875
    Yeah you were ready to get back home

    Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

  10. #20
    Fresh Catch sourdough's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    93013
    Posts
    24

    Lead Sled

    delete delete delete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sourdough; 04-29-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone towing with a 1/2 ton?
    By RockinAZJK in forum Tow Rigs
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-10-2018, 09:37 PM
  2. 2008 towing vs 2017 towing
    By wanderer in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-07-2017, 03:46 PM
  3. 3.6 jku towing
    By Pyro1415 in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2015, 12:33 PM
  4. Toy towing
    By bigtrucker52 in forum General Jeep Stuff
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2015, 02:53 AM
  5. Towing help
    By M_Savage in forum Jeep Show & Tell
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 12:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
ďwayoflifeĒ is a moniker that Iíve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS