Synthetic Rope ?

Allenn

I’m wanting to change from cable to synthetic rope on my winch. Winch currently has 65’ of 3/8” cable if I switch to 3/8 rope can I fit more on the drum? Only lengths I’ve found is 50’and 100’ I’d like to have around 75’ if possiable. Even replacing back to 65’ would be fine, but I haven’t seen it sold in that length. I may not be looking hard enough. Thanks in advance.

Yes. I’m guessing you have a 12k badlands bc I think that’s one of the only winches that have that short of a cable? If so you can fit about 95’ of synthetic on it. Remove the stupid springs and back ‘tension’ bar from it, it’s pointless and limits the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Allenn

Yes. I’m guessing you have a 12k badlands bc I think that’s one of the only winches that have that short of a cable? If so you can fit about 95’ of synthetic on it. Remove the stupid springs and back ‘tension’ bar from it, it’s pointless and limits the cable.

That is it. Thanks guys for the replies.

Allenn

So remove the two springs and then the bar in the back they are connected to correct ? Just leave front and back bar that keep the winch together ?

Correct. They added that feature a few years ago because they kept getting returns from people that have no idea how to wind in a winch rats nesting it and bending the top cross bars. With the solenoid box mounting there it would also end up cracking the plastic. So they added the “tensioner” and went from 90’ of 3/8” to 65’ so they can make sure you don’t eff it up and want a refund. You may need a couple washers to take up the space of the connection bars So you can tighten correctly. Remember synthetic is stronger so you don’t need 3/8” rope to get the same weight rating. And ditch the roller fairlead for a hawse.

Allenn

Correct. They added that feature a few years ago because they kept getting returns from people that have no idea how to wind in a winch rats nesting it and bending the top cross bars. With the solenoid box mounting there it would also end up cracking the plastic. So they added the “tensioner” and went from 90’ of 3/8” to 65’ so they can make sure you don’t eff it up and want a refund. You may need a couple washers to take up the space of the connection bars So you can tighten correctly. Remember synthetic is stronger so you don’t need 3/8” rope to get the same weight rating. And ditch the roller fairlead for a hawse.

Thanks for the info will do.

Top Bottom