Roof Rack Mounting Option.

rmilobrown

Hey Guys, I thought I would run this past the group before drilling into my hard top! My plan is to get a 60" x 54" Rhino rack for camping gear, Home Depot runs, NO roof top tents. My question is, what if I make my own mounts using hard rubber pucks on the raised ribs bolted through long metal strips from the inside. I would keep the pucks as low as possible just to clear the crown. I would use 6 to 9 mounts depending on the amount of flex in the rack. What do you think?

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
This style of roof rack always scared me with the hard top. I have zero experience and haven’t actually heard of any problems, but I would think that the hard top flexes ever to slightly. Not sure how the top would handle that with bolts and such going through. Also, if you’re not going through the top and bolting it to the c pillars, ALL of the weight will be on the hard top. Just my very inexperienced 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I mounted a Yakima rack to my hard top. It’s got the cut-to-fit aluminum channels that you could mount to a pickup truck shell. I drilled through my top to mount it. I just put on the cross bars and cage when I need them. Otherwise it’s easily removed. It works well for large and bulky, but light, items. Like skis, bikes, camping gear, etc. I wouldn’t use it for anything heavy, like a roof top tent. Here’s a few pictures, with the cage on and removed. Sorry I don’t have anything better than these. IMG_2517.jpg IMG_0096.jpg

Last edited:

jdofmemi

Now that I like.

I'm looking for an option to put a rack on, either with the top, or without.

This would work for top on, and maybe some kind of brackets to the cage for top off use.

Same idea, camping gear, etc. I have even less room thanks to the tire in the back.

rmilobrown

Thanks for the replies! I've been considering this for some time to get the lowest mount possible. Maybe someone has already tried a similar solution.

RSQCON

Do yourself a favor a take a look at the Maximus-3/Rhino rack collaboration. Maximus-3 makes the mounts and Rhino makes the rack but everything can be purchased from Maximus-3. Their kit works with or without a hard top but is not designed for use with a soft top. I recently placed an order with them however I will be using mine with a soft top. According to the Maximus-3 guys they have never had anyone do this so I am the ginnea pig. I have the brackets on and the rack is being delivered tomorrow. My plan is to sandwich the soft top between the rack and the mount. There are other companies that have racks that work with soft tops but they all extend beyond the foot print of the Jeep and I've been in some off camber situations that I would not have been able to squeeze thru using a Gobi rack. Here's a picture of their rack with no top.

Attachments

• 26756572_1363773430394611_4815328238523261345_o.jpg
    26756572_1363773430394611_4815328238523261345_o.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 234

rmilobrown

The Maximus-3 is a nice system for sure if you're going to be using an RTT! It was my original choice, but the DIY in me took over.

RSQCON

Are you planning to mount it to your hard top only or are you planning to tie the rack in through your hard top and then into the roll cage?

Tumbleweed

I bought a large Rhino Rack. I had to cut it down, lengthwise, and weld it back together. I have a 2 door with Bestop's Sunrider for Hardtop. I wanted to still be able to use the Sunrider flipped back if I chose, that's why I shortened it. I bought a 1/2' thick high density polyethylene sheet and cut & shaped it to fit between the ribs. Drilled holes to match the Rhino brackets and bolted it on. The system worked well on the Rubicon for camping gear.
I now have 8 holes in my hardtop, 1/4" in diameter. A little black RTV and you never know they are there.

Attachments

• Rack driver side view w gear.jpg
    Rack driver side view w gear.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 219
  • Rack front view w gear.jpg
    Rack front view w gear.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 217

rmilobrown

Thanks Guys, I'm planning on mounting the rack directly to the hard top using hard rubber spacers on top and heavy metal strips in the ridges inside. Super low profile, light weight, camping gear rack. Sounds OK, or do you think I'm going to tear the hard top?

RSQCON

I would not recommend the setup you mention. All the weight is supported by the top which is not meant to be structurally sound. Sure you might not put a lot of weight up there but look at the cost of a rack compared to the cost of replacing your hard top if when it cracks.

PEACEMAKER1

I would not recommend the setup you mention. All the weight is supported by the top which is not meant to be structurally sound. Sure you might not put a lot of weight up there but look at the cost of a rack compared to the cost of replacing your hard top if when it cracks.

^ Good advice. The hard top is very thin. Rhino has their backbone set-up that is very strong and pretty low profile already. Any reason for not going that route?

rmilobrown

Thanks for the advice! A 60"x40" is about $640.00. I knew I could get it lower than any of the offered mounts with some Home Depot hardware for less than $100.00 my only concern was cracking the hard top. Time to rethink this mod.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Why not a hitch cargo carrier? Keeps your stuff out of the wind, cheaper, can hold more weight, easily removed, and you don't have to drill holes in your top.

Kirkwood1

I have the rhino rack platform back bone system on our 2016 JKU and I love it! We stand up there to take photos all the time! The reinforcement of the back bone is great in my opinion! I haven’t had any problems! I’ll have to take a picture later but I’d recommend what I have.

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
We keep thinking about getting a rack, back and forth. We've decided that if we pull the trigger on this, our only choice will be LoD. It's expensive, but doesn't require any holes in the top. Top can be removed and put back easily, will hold a good amount of weight, AND has a light bar mount. Haha.

Jsouder53

Hooked
We keep thinking about getting a rack, back and forth. We've decided that if we pull the trigger on this, our only choice will be LoD. It's expensive, but doesn't require any holes in the top. Top can be removed and put back easily, will hold a good amount of weight, AND has a light bar mount. Haha.

I wish I got that one! I like how it slides back as well

rmilobrown

Thanks Guys, lots of great options out there! I ordered the 60" x 45" Rhino Pioneer, really like the design. You definitely got my attention on the mounting ideas I was considering! So, I'm eyeballing my Dominion Hi-Lift mount and decided to modify them to carry the weight of the rack. The rack is three weeks out so I have time to fab something up. I'll post some pics up as I move along with the project, wish me luck!

Top Bottom