Putting a CB in the JKU

prionic1

Not sure if this is the right place. I saw a CB/Race Radio section, but I don’t think I’ve graduated to that level of posting permissions yet.

Anyhow, I’ve ordered the things I think I need, I hope I’m not forgetting anything.

Really hoping I don’t start an electrical fire, lol. Is there anything I can do that I shouldn’t due to warranty concerns?

Radio will be above the rear view mirror will 12v coming from the 12v power adapter which intercepts the power from the 12v plug in the dash console. Antenna will be run to the rear tire carrier with a quick disconnect so I can keep it off to fit in the garage when not wheeling. It seems like it should be pretty simple. I did not get a SWR meter as the radio has one built in, but maybe I need one anyway.

I’ve ordered:

Uniden Bearcat 980 ssb
Firestik FS CB Antenna - 4'
Teraflex JK Jeep Wrangler CB Spare Tire Mount
Firestik CB Antenna Quick Disconnect
3-Pin CB Power Cord with Fuse
Premium RG8X CB Coax - 9' or 18' - 18'
Quardratec 12v power adapter for JK
Rugged Ridge JK CB Radio Mount

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rogerk93

One thing when you are installing is make sure the antenna has a good ground. Take off any powder coat on the brackets that could prevent that. Teraflex old brackets didn’t let the antenna ground without you removing some of the powder coating but they fixed that problem by leaving the mounting holes and under the bracket where it contacts the tire carrier bare so just check that to make sure yours is the same.

boardsurfer

I think you're missing a piece there. You need the stud that connects to your quick disconnect on one side, and the coax on the other.

Like this here.

Also if you use the links in the CB section to buy from Amazon, the forum gets some support which is always cool.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
The tailgate is a tough place to get a solid ground. I ended up using a 1” engine block ground strap on mine to get my SWR down to 1. You would have a better luck using a tail light mount to get a solid ground.

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I agree with the statement above. Tailgate is a rough place to get a good RF Ground. Here is what I did.

Attachments

• IMG_1197.jpg
    IMG_1197.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_1198.jpg
    IMG_1198.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_1193.jpg
    IMG_1193.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 355

prionic1

wow thanks for the info!!! that certainly helps. come to find out, yes there is an adapter I was missing for the quick disconnect. turns out the cb/race radio is recommended products not a posting place, and there are links there... learning all kinds of stuff. it’s different navigating the ios app vs web browser, lol.

in regards to getting a good ground, what is the metric for measuring that and how would I measure it?

RSQCON

The tailgate is a tough place to get a solid ground. I ended up using a 1” engine block ground strap on mine to get my SWR down to 1. You would have a better luck using a tail light mount to get a solid ground.
What was your SWR before adding the grounding strap? I may need to do this as well.

wjtstudios

Hooked
What was your SWR before adding the grounding strap? I may need to do this as well.

I was in the 3-4 range. I run an AEV tire carrier with the jack mount and my antenna mounts to that. So my grounding strap looks like this. Image1532606352.569612.jpg

It goes down to a bolt on the frame and directly to the bottom of the antenna. Every season I need to regrind the frame where it attaches to keep a good ground. Salt destroys everything.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
If you haven't ordered the rugged Ridge mount yet, I have one for free just lying around my garage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

RSQCON

Yeah I'm at that 3-4 range. When I get back from Rubicon that will be my project I just need to find a way for a cleaner install

prionic1

I managed to get the antenna mount sanded where it contacts the antenna and the tire carrier. Not sure if I want to sand the tire carrier or not yet. I've also gotten a long grounding strap and will be attaching that to the antenna mount and then finding somewhere to run that down to the frame hopefully. Can only do a little bit each day so hoping to have it working by Friday so as to be able to test it out this weekend.

The mount is now attached to the tire carrier and antenna attached. Little bit at a time. :D

wjtstudios

Hooked
There is a bit of witchcraft to it. The unfortunate side is technology has greatly evolved past the vhf 5watt cb radios. Most clubs still use them, but the new GMRS radios are almost fool proof and Midland has one that is 40 Watts. The range and clarity are amazing compared to vhf and it is a simple plug and play. I have to imagine that’s where things are going.

prionic1

There is a bit of witchcraft to it. The unfortunate side is technology has greatly evolved past the vhf 5watt cb radios. Most clubs still use them, but the new GMRS radios are almost fool proof and Midland has one that is 40 Watts. The range and clarity are amazing compared to vhf and it is a simple plug and play. I have to imagine that’s where things are going.

While I certainly don't doubt that the tech will change at some point seeing as how everything else is changing so rapidly now, it would appear that most folks still use the CB. Just trying to get what folks are using. If we end up using something else that works better in the future, that's what I'll be using then. :D

wjtstudios

Hooked
While I certainly don't doubt that the tech will change at some point seeing as how everything else is changing so rapidly now, it would appear that most folks still use the CB. Just trying to get what folks are using. If we end up using something else that works better in the future, that's what I'll be using then. :D

That’s the dilemma. I’m running both right now until everyone upgrades!

JKbrick

Wonder if that is the same as my Motorola fire radio?

Top Bottom