What shocks to get

desrt4x

I have been thinking about getting new shocks but what are some opinions on the types?
Right now my jeep is not a daily driver but may go 50 miles on pavement to get to some trails. I do a lot of offroad in the cooler months which would be some rock crawling, a lot of climbing and descending. Most of the time I take washes to get to the fun stuff but the washes are mostly tore up from the side by sides so it is like a washboard.
My set up now is I have anti rock front and back with Bilstein 5100 shocks with a tereflex 3" kit.
I would like to see what people think about bipass, coilover, or reservoir 2.5 shocks.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
How much do you want to spend? Can’t go wrong with king’s, EVO specs them out specifically for your JK. Rancho makes good shocks too. Also, I would ditch the Anti-rock and go back to factory if you have it. Would help pay for your shocks

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
If you are going to go with a 2.5” bypass, the king EVO spec or the King Adjustable are the best choice. I run the adjustable, it’s great being able to adjust the Jeep to the conditions.

Coil overs are a whole nother level of commitment.

jesse3638

Hooked
I'm waiting on my new to me King 2.5's to be finished being rebuilt and revalved to Evo spec. They're replacing my 5100's so I'll tell you what I think when I get them back..;).

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

PEACEMAKER1

How much do you want to spend? Can’t go wrong with king’s, EVO specs them out specifically for your JK. Rancho makes good shocks too. Also, I would ditch the Anti-rock and go back to factory if you have it. Would help pay for your shocks

^ how much $$$ is the best question. King is great. I have heard great things about the Fox set-up too. How fast are you driving off road and how much do you really need/want to fine tune the suspension? Typically you would go with the extra bypass if you are driving fast and need more control over your dampening rates and positions. If you have the dollars to spend and the expertise to use the adjustments, then I would say you can't go wrong with King or Fox.

desrt4x

If I go out with the local club it is slow driving but we do more rock crawling, when I go out on a search and rescue it is usually moving pretty fast. So I would say like a dual sport.
Right now it is set up and works great but if I have to do a rescue that is 40 miles in the desert my shocks get real hot.
Nothing is cheap when you have a vehicle that you use like this so I am trying to figure out what may be the best shock in my case. Being that I don't know anything about shocks and valving it is going to a lot of questions.
I would think in rocks you would want a softer shock and doing higher desert runs you would want a stiffer setting?

PEACEMAKER1

If I go out with the local club it is slow driving but we do more rock crawling, when I go out on a search and rescue it is usually moving pretty fast. So I would say like a dual sport.
Right now it is set up and works great but if I have to do a rescue that is 40 miles in the desert my shocks get real hot.
Nothing is cheap when you have a vehicle that you use like this so I am trying to figure out what may be the best shock in my case. Being that I don't know anything about shocks and valving it is going to a lot of questions.
I would think in rocks you would want a softer shock and doing higher desert runs you would want a stiffer setting?

Yeah, if they are getting hot then definitely need the dual set-up. I second the others on the Kings. Go with their DTD if you can and that should enable you to tackle all your off road needs.

desrt4x

I have been looking at the DTD kit and seems like Eddie has had good luck with it. One of the shops here was saying to many moving parts which means more that can break. I think Eddie has had a few things but could be considered normal wear?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Before you go spending all kinds of money on fancy shocks, I might consider replacing your coils first. I see that you are running TeraFlex coils and from my personal experience, they are one of the harshest riding coils I've run. A majority of ride quality comes from coils and shocks help to smooth things out.

Five-N9ne

Clayton coils wouldn’t run you too much and ride pretty well. They have a solid package deal on Bilsteins too, and middle-road non reservoir Foxes

BaddestCross

Agreed on the spring idea. I do believe that Teraflex springs were designed for dump trucks. 🤣

Reservoir shocks would help the overheating issue if you're regularly doing 40 mile trips down washboard roads. If it's a rarity, save your money and get some Rancho 9000XLs. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

desrt4x

last year we had 9 calls that were a long ride at higher speeds on the whooped out washes.

It sure doesn't feel like a dump truck, but coils are cheap so I will try that also, what are thoughts on the EVO plush ride 3".

I am still going to have to change the shocks, Any thoughts on a combo setup?

BaddestCross

last year we had 9 calls that were a long ride at higher speeds on the whooped out washes.

It sure doesn't feel like a dump truck, but coils are cheap so I will try that also, what are thoughts on the EVO plush ride 3".

I am still going to have to change the shocks, Any thoughts on a combo setup?
I personally run the EVO 2" up front. Best coils I've ever run. Most here that run them wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. They are soft, so if you carry a lot of weight in the rear you may need a spacer to help with the sag.

I've also heard good things about the Rancho and Synergy springs.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I personally run the EVO 2" up front. Best coils I've ever run. Most here that run them wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. They are soft, so if you carry a lot of weight in the rear you may need a spacer to help with the sag.

This right here is spot on ^^^^

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If you’re looking at the ranchos the 7000’s are the better of the three. The 9000’s and the adjustability is kind of pointless. It doesn’t work. The 5000’s are cheap and good but the 7000’s are a bit softer for a few bucks more.

BaddestCross

If you’re looking at the ranchos the 7000’s are the better of the three. The 9000’s and the adjustability is kind of pointless. It doesn’t work. The 5000’s are cheap and good but the 7000’s are a bit softer for a few bucks more.

I disagree on the 9000s as I adjust them all the time for the terrain I'm wheeling. I just wish they improved their in-cab adjuster instead of discontinuing it.

I do, however, agree on the 7000s. It's my understanding that they hold up better in the washboards as far as overheating goes.

--

Top Bottom