Lone Pine Weekend Alone

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Instead of heading down to the madness that is known as TDS, Cindy and I decided to change things up this year and head up north to Lone Pine for some well needed alone time. Along the way, we made a stop over at Pearsonville to say hello to the Uniroyal Gal, explored the shores of the Owens Dry Lake, spent some time at an abandoned airfield, wheeled up into the Inyo Mountains and went hunting for 235 million year old Ammonite fossils before calling it a night. Before heading for home the following day, we decided to take a long cut home to play on some rocks and explore some old mines. Here are some pics from our trip, I hope you enjoy.

Shot of us heading up the beautiful 395...
main.php

Stopping to say hello to the Uniroyal Gal in Pearsonville...
main.php

main.php

Of course, Pearsonville is also known for being the "Hubcap Capital of the World"...
main.php

Time to ditch the pavement and do some exploring...
main.php

Our first stop was over to the old Cottonwood Charcoal Kilns along the shores of the ancient Owens Dry Lake...
main.php

It sucks that they have to be fenced off like this but, I do understand that without it, the yahoos would destroy it...
main.php

Down by the waters of the not so dry Owens Dry Lake. In recent years, the DWP was forced by the EPA to help prevent the air pollution created by blowing dust and part of that solution was to divert some water back into the lake...
main.php

main.php

Beautiful divided sky overhead...
main.php

Our next stop for the day was to check out the old Manzanar Airport which was abandoned back in 1956...
main.php

main.php

Mother nature reclaiming the land...
main.php

X marks the spot! Section of the airfield that is relatively intact....
main.php

Exploring the surrounding area, I found this old glass vial partially buried in the dirt complete with rusty tin cap and some kind of white pills inside...
main.php

Leaving the airfield, we headed up into the Inyo Mountains to do some fossil hunting...
main.php

Shot looking down a cool looking wash as we hiked the rest of the way to the fossil beds...
main.php

Fossil hunting is hard work!! After spending a couple of hours digging through the rocks, we were only able to find a handful of Ammonite specimens, aquatic creatures that lived in an ancient sea over 235 million years ago...
main.php

Shot of some Fishhook catus with the Sierra's in the background...
main.php

After our fun at the fossil beds, we decided to hike up to an old mine high up on the mountain side...
main.php

It was a hell of a hike but well worth it. Because it was hard to get to, it was also is incredible shape - no trash, no bullet holes and no signs of vandalism...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Watching the last of the sunlight illuminating the eastern ridgetops...
main.php

With the sun down for the day, it was time for us to head back down the mountian...
main.php

main.php

Home for the night...
main.php

More pics below...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The following day was so beautiful, we just couldn't head back for home without doing some more exploring first. Here's a shot looking east across the Panamint Valley...
main.php

Rubicat posting for a shot...
main.php

main.php

Ahhh, a road less traveled...
main.php

Time to air down...
main.php

Tessa soaking in the sun...
main.php

And we're off - heading up the Argus Range...
main.php

Cool!! An old mine to explore...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

This goes a long way down...
main.php

Working our way up the canyon...
main.php

main.php

Beautiful folds in the rock formation...
main.php

It's play time...
main.php

main.php

It's been a while for Rubicat so she decided to do some stretching...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Sizing up a temping tub/waterfall...
main.php

main.php

While it was totally doable, there was definitely the potential for damage or a break and, being that we were by ourselves, we decided to play it smart and leave this obstacle for another day when we have friends along...
main.php

Working our way further up the canyon...
main.php

So many routes to explore and so little time in a day to explore them all...
main.php

Way cool! Our destination for the day - the old Defense Mine...
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Exploring the extensive network of tunnels...
main.php

Looking up one of many vertical shafts...
main.php

So, what do you think... would you go in?
main.php

Posing for a shot before heading out...
main.php

Working our way down the mountian...
main.php

A really sad sight we came across along the way...
main.php

Making a stop to check out some huge concrete pads...
main.php

main.php

Almost off the mountain, we came across an old Volvo...
main.php

Kicking up some dust as we head back to pavement...
main.php

The end of a great day out in the desert. Now, only 5 more hours till we get home...
main.php

I hope you enjoyed our weekend trip up to Lone Pine and back. :cool:

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Looks like a really fun trip I would love to do that once I get my lift! :thumb: 

Ray ⛺

Last edited:

Hellfire

Awesome pictures! One of these days I'll have to head down south to check this place out.

I'm waiting on the gates to open up in the mountains just north of you. Snow wheeing is all I can do right now.

Oysterman

Anybody else on the East Coast get crazy jealous when looking at a trip like this?

That looks like an awesome trip. Thanks for sharing.

conifers4

Anybody else on the East Coast get crazy jealous when looking at a trip like this?

Our Western friends sure are lucky.

Great writeup, love to admire the pictures. Love, another jealous city slicker

Rivertoys

Awesome photos of a beautiful trip. That trip has been on my bucket list for a while. Is the location of those fossils in a guidebook somewhere?

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
That is a really cool area! Is the fossil dig area just an off the map kind of thing? Looked like those were pretty good ammonites :yup:

I love the geology out there. Lots of great pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Beautiful photos and I love the background and history with them. It makes the trip so much more.
I thought sure you were going to tackle the flexy rock climbs solo, but "with age comes wisdom.":thumb:

gtony12

Caught the Bug
WOW! awesome pictures, I spent about 6 months in Lone Pine working at Owens Dry Lake Bed. Suck I never had a chance to explore the area but also I didn't have my Jeep then.. Great place to explore thank you for sharing!! :thumb:

Chiromancer

Certainly something I needed to see! Glad to see you guys out there doing what you love and enjoying life! Quite a beautiful dog too!

Again, thanks for being out there promoting what you love!

White_JKU

Very jealous .. You would think that since GA is mostly woods and open land that's we would have tons of places to wheel... Definitely not the case whatsoever.

Top Bottom