Rubicon trail planning help

Sk8convict

We are trying to plan a trip to the Rubicon trail last week of August .
Coming from Texas it’s a 2 day day drive.
Is it best to get a hotel in South Lake Tahoe?
Is there gas between there and loon lake trail head? We are planning on getting there Saturday night, hotel sat and Sunday night trail Monday camp monday and Tuesday night back to South Lake Tahoe until Saturday morning.
Drive home.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Is there gas between there and loon lake trail head? We are planning on getting there Saturday night, hotel sat and Sunday night trail Monday camp monday and Tuesday night back to South Lake Tahoe until Saturday morning.
Drive home.

South Lake Tahoe would be a good place for you to stay, especially if you’ve never been. I think it’s only about 60 miles to the Loon Lake trailhead from the last gas station in SLT. If you’re wanting to get gas as close as possible to that trailhead, pass Icehouse Road by about 5 miles and get gas in Fresh Pond.

jesse3638

Hooked
Drive home.

When I ran it 2 years ago we all fueled up in SLT ran the trail and had plenty when we came off.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

toyotire

have you thought of starting on the other end and coming out at Lake Tahoe ? We stayed at Georgetown American River Inn it was nice and easy to hit the trail.

jesse3638

Hooked
have you thought of starting on the other end and coming out at Lake Tahoe ? We stayed at Georgetown American River Inn it was nice and easy to hit the trail.
Thats what we did. Stayed in South lake. Got up early and drove the hour or so to the trail head. Spent 3 days on it and ended I'm South lake a few mins from our hotel. After that many days put there having to drive an hour to where we started would not have been fun. Plus the Riva is there where they serve up rock hard wet Woody's. Great way to finish it up..haha.

Edit: What overlander said.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

RSQCON

I know it's a long drive from Texas but imo it would be a crime to spend 2 nights in town before hitting the trail. My suggestion would be to spend Saturday night in South Tahoe. It's a little more than an hour drive to Loon Lake and you'll have plenty of fuel as long as you fill up in Tahoe. Anyways I would get on the trail Sunday and make it to Buck Island. Camp at Buck Sunday night and then spend Monday and Tuesday night at Rubicon Springs. Sounds like you've never been before so don't rush yourself on the trail enjoy it.

Last year we did 1 night at Buck and 3 at the springs and I thought it was perfect. This year we are doing 1 and 2 because we are going to run Fordyce as well.

Sk8convict

South Lake Tahoe would be a good place for you to stay, especially if you’ve never been. I think it’s only about 60 miles to the Loon Lake trailhead from the last gas station in SLT. If you’re wanting to get gas as close as possible to that trailhead, pass Icehouse Road by about 5 miles and get gas in Fresh Pond.

Thanks

Sk8convict

I know it's a long drive from Texas but imo it would be a crime to spend 2 nights in town before hitting the trail. My suggestion would be to spend Saturday night in South Tahoe. It's a little more than an hour drive to Loon Lake and you'll have plenty of fuel as long as you fill up in Tahoe. Anyways I would get on the trail Sunday and make it to Buck Island. Camp at Buck Sunday night and then spend Monday and Tuesday night at Rubicon Springs. Sounds like you've never been before so don't rush yourself on the trail enjoy it.

Last year we did 1 night at Buck and 3 at the springs and I thought it was perfect. This year we are doing 1 and 2 because we are going to run Fordyce as well.

Well we’ll get to SLT late Saturday night.
Gonna spend a day out of the truck to stretch out after a 24hr drive. Monday and Tuesday nights camping come off trail on Wednesday.
We have friends from Washington and Sacramento meeting us for the trail.
Gonna spend the rest of the week at Lake Tahoe. Think we may just rent a house for the whole week

gsxrdoc

This may be the same as Speedy_RCW already mentioned, but there is a Chevron at Hwy 50 and Old Carson Rd, which is probably 3-5 miles past Ice House Rd coming from SLT. We just did this last week and ended up with a bit over 1/4 tank when we came out in Tahoma. As mentioned already, definitely don't rush and enjoy it. Good luck with the planning.

Sk8convict

This may be the same as Speedy_RCW already mentioned, but there is a Chevron at Hwy 50 and Old Carson Rd, which is probably 3-5 miles past Ice House Rd coming from SLT. We just did this last week and ended up with a bit over 1/4 tank when we came out in Tahoma. As mentioned already, definitely don't rush and enjoy it. Good luck with the planning.

Thanks.

Top Bottom