Help with winch

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
So decided to unspool the line and respool it. Come off fine but when I'm trying to put it back on it doesnt move, it just grinds. I have tension on it. Is something wrong or am I doing something wrong? https://youtu.be/HkbYk1H3elk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I tried to move it in freespool and engaged but it does the same thing. Should I open it up and look inside?

wjtstudios

Hooked
I would try tapping the handle with a rubber mallet to make sure it is fully seated. Some times they just need to be set back a bit further to engage.

I’m not positive, but opening it up may compromise the seals. I’d contact warn first.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fusion_jeff

The assembly is sticking in freespool mode. Move the lever back and forth, tap on the handle and gear box body with a rubber mallet as you are cycling between settings. You can also try manually rewinding a some line, then slowly pull out as you are trying to winch in. These actions will usually cause the stuck assembly to return to normal.

Unless you have no warranty left, I’d avoid cracking open the gear box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Okay so I tapped it and now the lever moves 360 and doesn't really catch on anything. At one point it started to spool but then stopped. Just a lot of grinding noises

fusion_jeff

Their should only be 180 degrees of movement. Sounds like the handle is not solidly attached to the engagement lever shaft. Check the set screw(s) on the handle.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Their should only be 180 degrees of movement. Sounds like the handle is not solidly attached to the engagement lever shaft. Check the set screw(s) on the handle.

The handle is solid, don't see any screws. Just in the winch itself

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately I have no receipt, it came with the Jeep. Unless Clay still has it laying around.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
That is definitely warranting a call to WARN...
Yup. Called them and taking it to a dealer tomorrow for repair. Would have been a different scenario if not for Clay. Good to know the previous owner!

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
All fixed? Just the selector of did grind off some gears as well?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Unsure yet. I dropped it off and the place I took it to said it's their first warranty repair so I'm not expecting it to be fast but hopefully I'll hear something in a couple weeks.

Top Bottom