First time to Rubicon

AKJ33pR

A few members of our group, Southeast Jeep Club from Juneau, Alaska will be hitting the Rubicon Trail on September 4th. Is there a preferred town to stay the night before? We see Georgetown and Placerville are common stops the night before but aren't sure which is better or favored. Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

gsxrdoc

Hello AKJ33pR. First off, good luck with your trip and hope all goes well. While I can't speak to which is better or preferred, I can share our recent experience. We stayed in Folsom, CA on a Wednesday night, and left for the trail Thursday at approx 3 AM and it took us about 1h 45 to get to the Loon Lake staging area. Placerville is about 25 miles closer, so it should be a little shorter. Georgetown is about 40 miles to trailhead, and South Lake Tahoe is about 70 miles to trailhead. Georgetown is definitely the most remote area of all. Again, good luck and hope this information helps a little.

Rooster jk

We have a group of 10 jeeps headed to the Rubicon from Texas on Sept 7th. We are camping at loon lake the night before the trail. Then we are headed to Utah to sand hollow to play. Good luck and safe travels

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Juneau is a hell of a long run to the Rubicon, I think you get the award for most dedicated. We are heading that way today from Tucson, made it to Bishop last night. We have 7 Jeeps and are staying in Georgetown tonight. It’s our first time too. Are there any recommendations for can’t miss places for food or adult beverages we should put on our list? Safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

oneOone

10 days till we ship AKJ33pR. Hope the rest of group is ready.... Black pearl, I’ll have to look up South Lake Tahoe.

We will have six jeeps driving via highway 101 /1. Should be a blast. We plan to hit rubicon, then billy bob, prison hill or some others around Reno area. Have three days after rubicon. Then head to Oregon sand dunes for a few days then some trails in Washington, Walker valley and moon rocks or something.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Ruvicon

Our group just stayed at South Lake Tahoe on Sunday night before hitting the Rubicon via Loon Lake. It’s about 75 miles, but SLT has much to offer as far as hotels or restaurants. We camped at Buck Island Lake, then Rubicon Springs the 2nd night. Had a blast!

Top Bottom