Strong gas fumes when tank is full

2jeeps4me

My ‘16 JKU stinks up my garage with strong gas fumes when my tank is filled. No puddles of gas on the floor or sign of leaks. Any idea what would cause this ? The fumes subside after the tank is three quarters full or less. Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Light a match and the leak will be quite obvious.

(Just kidding to be politically correct in today's internet world so I don't get sued. )

Check your charcoal canister and purge valve.

JohnnyD8586

My ‘16 JKU stinks up my garage with strong gas fumes when my tank is filled. No puddles of gas on the floor or sign of leaks. Any idea what would cause this ? The fumes subside after the tank is three quarters full or less. Thanks !

When you fill up, do you let it stop on its own and call it good, or do you day F it and top it off to max? i have buddies whoe shake their trucks trying to get all the air bubbles out when filling up haha not my idea

Eloucha

Same here if u figure it out. Plz let me know. Only when I fill it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ctmartin2000

Fuel smell when tank is full

Had the same problem on a 2007 jk Sahara we purchased recently, after ruling out all evap lines for leaks with a smoke machine, I dropped the fuel tank and found that the smell was coming from cracks in the fuel pump mounting flange. Replaced with new fuel pump assembly and problem solved.

Attachments

• 2132E9CE-3D45-4AB6-9169-E260B1090185.jpg
    2132E9CE-3D45-4AB6-9169-E260B1090185.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 3A23A822-258A-4D30-BDE1-93CA39ADA08F.jpg
    3A23A822-258A-4D30-BDE1-93CA39ADA08F.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 79
  • EBEC46C2-7CFF-41EA-A97A-92108832E4EB.jpg
    EBEC46C2-7CFF-41EA-A97A-92108832E4EB.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 76

zimm

Caught the Bug
Still under warranty? I'd have the dealer find it. They have the magic smoke machine for the evap system. I wouldn't mess around with fuel fumes.

GeoWillys

I have a 15 jk Willys and had that problem. Since I have an extended warranty I took it to the dealership and they found there was an issue where the filler neck connects to tank. Don't remember what was exactly wrong but they ordered a part and installed it. No more gas fumes.

Brute

Hooked
I had a leak at where the wire for the sending unit enters the tank...also check the evap lines

Ajkaz

My 07 had this issue, I replaced the keyed gas cap (which passed smog no problem) with an OEM non locking gas cap and it went away....

Lojo

I have a 15 jk Willys and had that problem. Since I have an extended warranty I took it to the dealership and they found there was an issue where the filler neck connects to tank. Don't remember what was exactly wrong but they ordered a part and installed it. No more gas fumes.

Rubber grommet connects the two. They get cracked from heat and cold over time. Can cause fumes or even a fuel leak. I ran into a similar issue on another vehicle.

Top Bottom