JL 2.5 Lift Shock extensions or longer shocks?

jmercmon

I am going to do a 2/2.5 inch spacer lift (Looking at RC right now) to the WW's Jeep and the question I have is Shock extensions or longer Shocks .... what are the pros and cons, Is one better than the other, why?

Thanks for everyone input.
J

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to do a 2/2.5 inch spacer lift (Looking at RC right now) to the WW's Jeep and the question I have is Shock extensions or longer Shocks .... what are the pros and cons, Is one better than the other, why?

Thanks for everyone input.
J

Having run coil spacers and shock extensions, I would recommend that you save your money. If you can afford to spend just a bit more, I would HIGHLY recommend the Rancho Sport lift instead. It's what I just upgraded to and let me tell you, the ride it provides is SO MUCH BETTER! And so that it isn't missed, this kit only costs $640. If you take advantage of their rebate, you'll save $100 more! I will be posting up a video on this lift on Tuesday.

jmercmon

Having run coil spacers and shock extensions, I would recommend that you save your money. If you can afford to spend just a bit more, I would HIGHLY recommend the Rancho Sport lift instead. It's what I just upgraded to and let me tell you, the ride it provides is SO MUCH BETTER! And so that it isn't missed, this kit only costs $640. If you take advantage of their rebate, you'll save $100 more! I will be posting up a video on this lift on Tuesday.

I assume your speaking of this lift kit:
http://www.gorancho.com/products/su...pension-system-rs5000x-shocks-rs66122br5.html

jmercmon

Yes :yup:........

Ok, so this my be a really dumb question .....Jeep belongs to the WW (Wonderful Wife) and I want to do this right, I am just the wrench guy, I have a GMC Sierra All-Terrain and when I lifted my truck I had to take it and get an alignment after, do I need to do this with the jeep? The wife does drive it daily.

jmercmon

Ok, so this my be a really dumb question .....Jeep belongs to the WW (Wonderful Wife) and I want to do this right, I am just the wrench guy, I have a GMC Sierra All-Terrain and when I lifted my truck I had to take it and get an alignment after, do I need to do this with the jeep? The wife does drive it daily.

I found my answer in the manual for the kit, it recommends and alignment.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I found my answer in the manual for the kit, it recommends and alignment.

Actually, unless you install aftermarket adjustable components, the only thing an alignment shop will do is recenter your steering wheel and take your money. This is something you can do yourself, within minutes and using a 15mm wrench. Save your money and do it yourself.

Here's a write-up I did on how to do it.
https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...NT-END-ALIGNMENT&p=12268&viewfull=1#post12268

jmercmon

Actually, unless you install aftermarket adjustable components, the only thing an alignment shop will do is recenter your steering wheel and take your money. This is something you can do yourself, within minutes and using a 15mm wrench. Save your money and do it yourself.

Here's a write-up I did on how to do it.
https://jlwrangler.com/showthread.p...NT-END-ALIGNMENT&p=12268&viewfull=1#post12268

So all them measurements the manual about caster, chamber and toe-in etc do not need to be adjusted or checked? I'm just asking here ... I know a Jeep is a different animal from my Truck, I did see your article on the steering wheel already and that looks super easy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So all them measurements the manual about caster, chamber and toe-in etc do not need to be adjusted or checked? I'm just asking here ... I know a Jeep is a different animal from my Truck, I did see your article on the steering wheel already and that looks super easy.

Unlike the old TJ Wrangler which was made between 1997-2006, the JK and now the JL have tie-rods that are connected to the knuckles and NOT to the drag link. This means that your toe will NOT change due to a lift being installed. Also, Wranglers have solid front axles and so there will be NO camber that you can adjust. Again, caster will be off a bit but at just 2" of lift, it won't be enough to be a problem for MOST people. IF you feel flightiness at highway speeds and want to address it, the drop brackets you were asking about will help correct that. Your steering wheel NEEDS to be recenter. Failure to do so will cause your Jeep's computer to think your in a slide and the ABS/EPS will kick in on you.

jmercmon

Unlike the old TJ Wrangler which was made between 1997-2006, the JK and now the JL have tie-rods that are connected to the knuckles and NOT to the drag link. This means that your toe will NOT change due to a lift being installed. Also, Wranglers have solid front axles and so there will be NO camber that you can adjust. Again, caster will be off a bit but at just 2" of lift, it won't be enough to be a problem for MOST people. IF you feel flightiness at highway speeds and want to address it, the drop brackets you were asking about will help correct that. Your steering wheel NEEDS to be recenter. Failure to do so will cause your Jeep's computer to think your in a slide and the ABS/EPS will kick in on you.

Thanks, sorry for all the questions. I have scrolled down and read all your other items on Toe in and caster on the link you sent. Initially I had only seen the steering correction ( I may have seen it in one of your videos and not read it). So now I better understand whats going on with the front suspension. Thank you!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, sorry for all the questions. I have scrolled down and read all your other items on Toe in and caster on the link you sent. Initially I had only seen the steering correction ( I may have seen it in one of your videos and not read it). So now I better understand whats going on with the front suspension. Thank you!

Glad to be of help :cool:

Top Bottom