Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: E or D Rated Tires?

  1. #1
    Been Around the Block krdadlamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    300

    E or D Rated Tires?

    We have to stay with the 18" wheels we have.
    Two friends have sliced their sidewalls this summer (One on Ds not aired down, the other Cs aired down to 15psi) so I'm worried about sidewall strength.
    Most of what I'm seeing for tire choices is this:
    37/12.5/18 E Rated
    37/13.5/18 D Rated
    D rated tires are significantly cheaper
    We Have:
    Heavy bumpers, and a winch
    Usually carry good amount of tools and gear
    Adding rock sliders
    Adding Trail Leader package

    Is the extra expense of the E rated tires worth it, or will the D rated tires sidewall strength be sufficient?

  2. #2
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    27,961
    Umm what tires were they running. There are a lot out there.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES


    2012 Jeep Wrangler

  3. #3
    Been Around the Block krdadlamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Umm what tires were they running. There are a lot out there.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Both BFGs. Does that say it all?

  4. #4
    Resident Smartass OverlanderJK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    27,961
    Quote Originally Posted by krdadlamb View Post
    Both BFGs. Does that say it all?
    KM2’s? Yeah kind of.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES


    2012 Jeep Wrangler

  5. #5
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    49,257
    Yup, BFG's aren't exactly known for their sidewall strength.

    If there's any chance you could sell your 18" wheels, you'd be doing yourself a HUGE favor especially being that you'll have so many more tire choices and at a more affordable cost.

  6. #6
    Hooked I-Eat-Mud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    183
    I personally won’t buy bfg tires anymore due to bad personal experience with weak sidewalls.


    Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

  7. #7
    Been Around the Block krdadlamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Yup, BFG's aren't exactly known for their sidewall strength.

    If there's any chance you could sell your 18" wheels, you'd be doing yourself a HUGE favor especially being that you'll have so many more tire choices and at a more affordable cost.
    I understand completely.
    There's a long story behind how we got the wheels we have and why I can't get rid of them. Sentimental value to my wife.
    That being said, was just wondering if the E rated tire is still the best for airing down and wheeling?

  8. #8
    Administrator wayoflife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    Posts
    49,257
    Quote Originally Posted by krdadlamb View Post
    I understand completely.
    There's a long story behind how we got the wheels we have and why I can't get rid of them. Sentimental value to my wife.
    That being said, was just wondering if the E rated tire is still the best for airing down and wheeling?
    E's will have the thickest sidewalls and offer the most protection. That being said, they will also offer a firmer ride. Being that you have 18" wheels, it's be worse being that you're only going to be running 37's. Also, not all tires with a load range E will have the same durability.

  9. #9
    Been Around the Block krdadlamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    300
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    E's will have the thickest sidewalls and offer the most protection. That being said, they will also offer a firmer ride. Being that you have 18" wheels, it's be worse being that you're only going to be running 37's. Also, not all tires with a load range E will have the same durability.
    Thank you for your straight forward answer. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I need to hear.

  10. #10
    Fresh Catch ninemmbill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Henderson Nevada
    Posts
    15
    I have been running the 35" Nitto Terra Grappler M/T's on my rig. They are E rated on an 18" rim. I have been very happy with them. I know the weight rating is overkill for my JK but I am happy with the extra bit of sidewall strength I gain. I am also giving up a little flex when I air down due to the stiffness and rim size. It's not the best setup, but depending on the type of wheeling you do you may be fine with something similar.

Similar Threads

  1. BFG KO2 tire question D or E rated
    By justin mazzon in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-30-2018, 05:29 PM
  2. Trail Rated - Just Not for the Rubicon
    By wayoflife in forum Jeep Renegade
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-23-2014, 05:25 PM
  3. Umm...Trail rated?
    By Capita in forum Jeep JK Wrangler
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2013, 03:14 PM
  4. Airing Down E rated tires
    By KernHydro in forum General Off-Road Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 07:13 AM
  5. Trail Rated Video by Jeep
    By wayoflife in forum Jeepin Life
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS