Where have all the mechanics gone

Tanktitan

Last week I was riding a Jeep dealer lot with a salesman in his cart. An odd noise came from the cart and I commented that we needed to find a mechanic.

He said: “There are no mechanics left at car dealers. There are only people that read computers that tell them which part to take off and replace.”

I took it as true, but about an hour later, it hit me how right he was. A few months ago my 2002 BMW M Roadster, that I bought new, now with 22,000 miles, failed an emissions test. I took it to an auto parts store to ask what parts I needed for the codes it was throwing. On one code, it was one of two parts and they could not tell me which. Both were under $100. The other code was not in their system.

So I took it to the local BMW dealer who quoted me “not more than” $7750 and warned of rods blowing thru my hood. I called BS on them, I paid the diagnostic, and took it to a real mechanic who fixed it for $250.

Be forewarned.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I agree it's hard to find anyone who knows what they are doing anymore. Good mechanics at the dealer are few and far between. Luckily it has to be pretty major for me to not be able to fix it myself. In those cases I usually seem that I know someone who knows someone that can help me out. Or just Google it😉

I think it’s the overly complicated designs of new cars. They’re all different, they don’t all have the same symptoms for the same part failures. For the most part, the computer is right or close to right to get you what you need. And the obvious stuff is obvious. But the the hard to track down problems and small nuances that a mechanic used to be able to figure out quickly is rare these days. Things aren’t repaired they’re replaced. Speed shops and small mom and pop businesses still have the good guys.

IMG_1306.JPG

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I think it’s the overly complicated designs of new cars. They’re all different, they don’t all have the same symptoms for the same part failures. For the most part, the computer is right or close to right to get you what you need. And the obvious stuff is obvious. But the the hard to track down problems and small nuances that a mechanic used to be able to figure out quickly is rare these days. Things aren’t repaired they’re replaced. Speed shops and small mom and pop businesses still have the good guys.

View attachment 307603

That would be an awesome sign to have in the garage.

Bierpower

Hooked
computers that tell them which part to take off and replace.”

This is what I hated most about fixing cars. People assume that you have some magic computer that you plug in and it just spits out an error message like "replace left catalytic converter and rainbows and unicorns will fly out the tail pipe and global warming will be over". While a good scanner can be an extremely helpful diagnostic tool, it does not tell you what "part to replace". It can give you a list of symptoms. You kinda have to have a half ass clue what's going on to put the pieces together.

People would always complain about a diagnostic fees as well. "The parts store will read the codes for free." That's great, but they are in business to move parts. If you know what your doing, it can be a big help, but for most people it's a good gimmick to send you home with an armful of parts that might fix your problem.

One of the issues is their are a shit ton of shade tree mechanics who changed oil in their moms car once and now they are a master tech. I worked with one clown who said he worked at Toyota for 5 years rebuilding engines and never once used a torque wrench. These guys go and screw up people's cars and give all mechanics a bad name because, "that can't be the issue. Joe Blow from down the street just fixed that. Your trying to rip me off."

I don't mean to sound hostile this is just some of the things we would hear every other day. Now I just work on my own stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Boy, this thread hits the nail on the head.
There are a lot of parts changers, but not many actual mechanics.

In any industry it is the same, as kids are pushed to tech jobs and few are learning a trade. Those who do learn to be a real mechanic will never lack for work.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
This is what I hated most about fixing cars. People assume that you have some magic computer that you plug in and it just spits out an error message like "replace left catalytic converter and rainbows and unicorns will fly out the tail pipe and global warming will be over". While a good scanner can be an extremely helpful diagnostic tool, it does not tell you what "part to replace". It can give you a list of symptoms. You kinda have to have a half ass clue what's going on to put the pieces together.

People would always complain about a diagnostic fees as well. "The parts store will read the codes for free." That's great, but they are in business to move parts. If you know what your doing, it can be a big help, but for most people it's a good gimmick to send you home with an armful of parts that might fix your problem.

One of the issues is their are a shit ton of shade tree mechanics who changed oil in their moms car once and now they are a master tech. I worked with one clown who said he worked at Toyota for 5 years rebuilding engines and never once used a torque wrench. These guys go and screw up people's cars and give all mechanics a bad name because, "that can't be the issue. Joe Blow from down the street just fixed that. Your trying to rip me off."

I don't mean to sound hostile this is just some of the things we would hear every other day. Now I just work on my own stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
I hate some of my co-workers that push Parts just for the sake of pushing parts, many times throughout the day I'll send a customer home with zero Parts but with the list of codes that I pulled from their computer and possible symptoms. It's not that I don't have information I could give them, it's just that for their specific make and model I'm not going to have any idea how these codes specifically relate to common problems for their vehicle. I'm not a mechanic and I won't pretend to be one, however I will give my input where I can and try to help them out to the best of my knowledge. I'll have them do some more research then come back in when they believe they know what their problem is, because I would hate to be the salesman that sends them home with an armful of parts and one out of four work. I feel it decreases trust between Parts houses and customers when they realize they've been oversold because the employee worked with them just wanted to make a sale.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
That would be an awesome sign to have in the garage.

I was thinking the same thing. YouTube has saved me 100's if not 1000's of dollars.
Boy, this thread hits the nail on the head.
There are a lot of parts changers, but not many actual mechanics.

In any industry it is the same, as kids are pushed to tech jobs and few are learning a trade. Those who do learn to be a real mechanic will never lack for work.
It's crazy how the lack of mechanical aptitude is so prevalent today. Even the willingness to try and learn is gone. We hire seasonal employees every summer and their ability to fix or even know where to begin to try to fix anything, lawn mower, leaking irrigation, loose door hinge, simple vehicle maintenance is not there. It's getting worse every year.

Growing up with my dad is what made me who I am today. He is a person who loves to learn. Also we didn't have a lot of money so he fixed everything he could. I'd be right next to him if anything just watching. If he didn't know what he was doing he'd find a book or call someone who may know. Jimmy rig fixes were common and often better than the original..haha. Today people are so quick to call "the guy" or throw it away and buy a new one. What are we going to do when there are no more "guys" (including women who could also be employed as "the guy")?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I work in this industry daily and it blows me away more and more how many jackasses are in it. I think the lack of good mechanics is just a reflection of our culture. People are lazy, don't use their brains, and don't want to learn or improve. Seems like a lot of industries are getting more this way as culture declines.

jesse3638

Hooked
I work in this industry daily and it blows me away more and more how many jackasses are in it. I think the lack of good mechanics is just a reflection of our culture. People are lazy, don't use their brains, and don't want to learn or improve. Seems like a lot of industries are getting more this way as culture declines.
Agree 100%.

Hell, there is a fabricator of off road sliders here locally to me. I have Friday's off and was going to inquire about a part time job with them just doing the busy work and learning to weld.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
While I am no mechanic I can turn a wrench to fix something when I know what the problem is on the newer stuff.. the older stuff now that another ball game altogether no computer in it makes things a ton easier to work on at least for myself ... as the tech has gotten smarter and better we as a people have gotten less inclined to learn about the things that actually make it work in general and more focused on the codes that go into the program itself ... all the smart tech is what's doing this trade along with others in as they slowly get replaced by a computer program and a tech that only can fix it when the program tells them what part or parts to replace ..

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

pop2tu

I think the problem stems from that we have become a disposable culture. It’s easier to throw something away and go buy a new one, than to sit down and fix it! Another problem, you can’t hardly find parts anymore. An example, when I was young, I went to a mechanics trade school. There they taught us how to rebuild alternators, starters. Now 25 years later, helping my son work on his Jeep. His alternator went out. I couldn’t find the parts to fix it. I don’t know if it’s the people behind the counter, or the parts houses. I think there is no demand for alternator parts anymore, or parts houses can make more money selling a $150 alternator, than a $15 dollar part.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
I think the problem stems from that we have become a disposable culture. It’s easier to throw something away and go buy a new one, than to sit down and fix it! Another problem, you can’t hardly find parts anymore. An example, when I was young, I went to a mechanics trade school. There they taught us how to rebuild alternators, starters. Now 25 years later, helping my son work on his Jeep. His alternator went out. I couldn’t find the parts to fix it. I don’t know if it’s the people behind the counter, or the parts houses. I think there is no demand for alternator parts anymore, or parts houses can make more money selling a $150 alternator, than a $15 dollar part.

Yea same when I was growing up places all over had these rebuilt for sale or ya could get the parts to do it now good luck they are far an few between..

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
Tend to agree with this, my dad recently sold his Auto repair business to retire, one thing he complained about as time went on was how expensive it was to keep up with all the computers and programs needed. He’s been a mechanic for 40+ years gas/diesel, all of it,and a damn good one, just a conversation will usually put him on the issue. 2 weeks ago a buddy and I spent 5 hours at a Mercedes dealership to diagnose and fix a common part that took 10 min to change but the thing was plugged into multiple computers for 3 hours until they figured out the issue. Crazy how the technology evolves but also how the computers make it “easier”

Crazy how the technology evolves but also how the computers make it “easier”

Manufacturers want to get rid of the human element. Standardized service the same at each location, get the same answer for the same problem across the board. For the most part it’s worked for them, but any diy home garage wrenchers can quickly save a lot of money by doing a bit of research on their own.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
These days a master mechanic has to be computer savvy and considers grease under the fingernails a point of pride. I think most dealerships and repair shops can find one or the other, but rarely both. Sigh!

Gbint

Most of all of your opinions are correct one way or another. I’m one of those old Master mechanics. Still up to date and after 40 years still on the job. Us old boys still like grease under our nails and in our hair, what’s left of it. I come across the new generation of supposedly mechanics ( dealer princesses) that couldn’t diagnose them shitting themselves without a scanner. I’d suggest, after helping some locals that most guys who work on their own stuff ( do it yourselfers) become more qualified than the newbies.

jesse3638

Hooked
Most of all of your opinions are correct one way or another. I’m one of those old Master mechanics. Still up to date and after 40 years still on the job. Us old boys still like grease under our nails and in our hair, what’s left of it. I come across the new generation of supposedly mechanics ( dealer princesses) that couldn’t diagnose them shitting themselves without a scanner. I’d suggest, after helping some locals that most guys who work on their own stuff ( do it yourselfers) become more qualified than the newbies.

Thanks for you insight from within the industry. The shitting analogy couldn't be more true and was pretty funny too.

Tanktitan

It is not just the “mechanics” at dealers, it is their parts people as well. My wife’s sun visor mirror flap broke free and would not work. Using a trim panel tool I pulled it off and quickly saw two small spring steel clips had broken. They could not cost more than two cents to make. The parts guy said they did not sell them; I had to buy the whole sun visor for $250. I told him I would find them at a junk yard. He said I could probably make the with a paper clip. Yeah, wrong again. Why can’t they have a bag of them and tell me to come by and get a couple.

Good thread. As far as you tube and forums...one needs be vigilant, there's the good, bad, ugly, and down right dangerous.

Clearly this form is a well trusted site, and has provided a lot of accurate information, and a go to site.

I actually get a kick out of comparing you tube videos for a simple oil change. Cheap entertainment. Lol.

I'm not a mechanic, but an engineer who loves working on cars.

You must know your limits and play within them. Unlike any other vehical, my jeeps have fueled my thurst to learn more.

I've gotten to know a few master techs and the dealership, one fellow is a jeeper. Good guys, they have helped me out a few times and seem to be hybrids old old and new school troubleshooting.

They are the only two I will let work on my Jeep, I ask for them by name, and always bring them a coffee.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom