Engine Swap

preeb

About to do an LS swap on my 2017 jku.
I will need a 2017 or newer engine to keep it road legal.
Of course I prefer the lowest possible millage on the donor’s engine but wanted to ask what kind of mileage range will be acceptable to your opinion?
Gen V L86 6.2lt and 8 speed tranny.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you haven't done so already, I would contact Motech as they should be able to help you out. They are here on the forum and you should be able to reach them by PM too. :yup:

JKJason

I’m really interested in this swap as well. I personally wouldn’t go over 30,000 miles, but that just my opinion. I’d personally probably tear into the motor and make sure all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

preeb

If you haven't done so already, I would contact Motech as they should be able to help you out. They are here on the forum and you should be able to reach them by PM too. :yup:

Thx. For sure.... I’m actually working with Robbie on this.
Motech will definitely do the swap but I wanted some forumites input since there is a 29K miles motor I’m not so sure about and waiting for Robbie to call me back on this

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thx. For sure.... I’m actually working with Robbie on this.
Motech will definitely do the swap but I wanted some forumites input since there is a 29K miles motor I’m not so sure about and waiting for Robbie to call me back on this

That'd probably be at the limit of where I would be looking. We were lucky in that we found a motor with only 11k on it.

preeb

I’m really interested in this swap as well. I personally wouldn’t go over 30,000 miles, but that just my opinion. I’d personally probably tear into the motor and make sure all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Makes sense. I felt 30K is on the high side for a 2017.
I will not be doing the swap myself and I trust Motech to make sure the engine is ok.
Those guys sure know what they are doing

preeb

That'd probably be at the limit of where I would be looking. We were lucky in that we found a motor with only 11k on it.

Lucky indeed.
That’s about where I wanna be on the millage and I believe it won’t be too difficult for a 2017 or 2018 engine.
Patience is a bless

Rocralr

Hi everyone. Robbie at Motech has my JKU. I bought a new crate engine/L94. They are doing the swap as we speak. Everything has been taken out and the new L94 and 6L80 transmission are in. I'm still waiting on my new Atlas transfer case. I am very excited. After mine is done it will be very close to what Moby is running. I went with the L94 as I can get it through smog in CA. Robbie and Motech has what it takes to get the swap done right. :rock:

preeb

Hi everyone. Robbie at Motech has my JKU. I bought a new crate engine/L94. They are doing the swap as we speak. Everything has been taken out and the new L94 and 6L80 transmission are in. I'm still waiting on my new Atlas transfer case. I am very excited. After mine is done it will be very close to what Moby is running. I went with the L94 as I can get it through smog in CA. Robbie and Motech has what it takes to get the swap done right. :rock:

Wish GM had crate option for the L86 but they do not.
Good luck with your swap!! Post some shots or it never happened (-;

preeb

Preeb. I did a thread with pictures of the L94 on it. You should be able to search and find it. Thanks.

Found it, thx.

Definitely the right way to enjoy your retirement.
If I may ask, what was the reason to go with the crate L94 motor?

So Motech can guarantee the swap is CA smog legal and can get it through the process in CA? Last time i spoke to Motech, they said they were working on the CA process but didn't have a solution at that time.

Rocralr

Robbie can do it on an L94 working with a one on one situation. He is also getting two vehicles ready for inspection. He thinks he can get what he needs to get them smogged with in the next yr. Everything I am talking about is over my head and I don't want to get what Robbie told me wrong. So it is best too give him a call but I think it looks good for CA.

jeepking59

Engine swap

Hi, I had an L9h installed by Motech last January. I live in Ca and I am still waiting for it to be able to pass smog inspection. I have talked to Robbie and he is working very hard to get these engines to pass Ca inspections.

Robbie can do it on an L94 working with a one on one situation. He is also getting two vehicles ready for inspection. He thinks he can get what he needs to get them smogged with in the next yr. Everything I am talking about is over my head and I don't want to get what Robbie told me wrong. So it is best too give him a call but I think it looks good for CA.

Hi, I had an L9h installed by Motech last January. I live in Ca and I am still waiting for it to be able to pass smog inspection. I have talked to Robbie and he is working very hard to get these engines to pass Ca inspections.

That is very good news... keep us posted on the results. That is the only piece holding me back.

BaddestCross

FMI... what are the extra requirements in CA compared with the Federal here? :
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/engswitch_0.pdf
You have to grab your ankles and let the State inspector fuck you up the ass 4 times but the catch is they require a biodegradable vegan lube that is made from a flower that only blossoms once every 2 years and you can only buy enough for a single use per person per bloom. Needless to say, it's an uncomfortable and time consuming process.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

fiend

Caught the Bug
You have to grab your ankles and let the State inspector fuck you up the ass 4 times but the catch is they require a biodegradable vegan lube that is made from a flower that only blossoms once every 2 years and you can only buy enough for a single use per person per bloom. Needless to say, it's an uncomfortable and time consuming process.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

They used to apply the lube with a straw, but those have since been banned, so the whole process is in limbo now.

Top Bottom