Fender Flare Decision Struggles

MDK210

Yes it's another fender flare thread but it's been over a year and I still can't decide.

Steel - heavy, prone to rust, possible fitment issues, may require cutting
Aluminum - expensive, limited manufacturers, may require cutting
Plastic - flimsy based on material, possible fitment issues, prone to fading

I know a lot of folks are running cut stock fender flares but I can't bring myself to do that. Every aftermarket seems to have some type of issue whether it's cutting half your Jeep apart to fit or cheap material that flaps around in the wind. Are there any companies who make a true bolt that aren't on all the typical Jeep websites cause it feels like I've seen them all.

TheGrendel

what exactly do you want? if you want plastic and not factory, then MCE is your best bet. evo makes good steel fenders. so does Metalcloak. PSC makes good steel and aluminum. Nemesis Industries makes some really good looking flares in aluminum and steel. (the rest of their stuff looks like crap imo).

MDK210

forgot about that one. it's a good choice and the one thing I wish i had ordered on my 2017.

Plastic and aluminum are preferred. I was looking at the Mopar high clearance but they cover up the badging on the hood ever so slightly (Willy's, Rubicon, etc) from all the photos I've seen. Not a big deal to some but for the money they want it seems bush league. Wish I could get the JL high fender flares.

I'll check out MCE, thanks.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Yes it's another fender flare thread but it's been over a year and I still can't decide.

I know a lot of folks are running cut stock fender flares but I can't bring myself to do that. Every aftermarket seems to have some type of issue whether it's cutting half your Jeep apart to fit or cheap material that flaps around in the wind. Are there any companies who make a true bolt that aren't on all the typical Jeep websites cause it feels like I've seen them all.

I like the look of the Nemesis Industries fender. I want to color match. Maybe you could look into buying a set of factory take offs and trim them and see if that works for you. Should be able to find some on the inexpensive side.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I think in the long run plastic may be a better choice. The steel and aluminum look good but the plastic won’t rust. When you factor in road/trail debris like rock constantly hitting the steel, it’s going to open the door to rust. The aluminum in the same conditions will get pitted up, and plastic may get pitted but it won’t rust, and if you hit something on the trail like a rock or tree it will at least give and bend a little rather than potentially smash you whole fender with a rigid style one like aluminum or steel.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

enfielded0405

Drawbacks across the board. I absolutely hate faded car plastics so I am systematically pulling all the plastic I can off the Jeep. I went steel. Yes it can rust but nothing I can’t keep up with some rustoleum.

TheGrendel

Plastic and aluminum are preferred. I was looking at the Mopar high clearance but they cover up the badging on the hood ever so slightly (Willy's, Rubicon, etc) from all the photos I've seen. Not a big deal to some but for the money they want it seems bush league. Wish I could get the JL high fender flares.

I'll check out MCE, thanks.

yes the Mopar flares are stupid expensive for what they are. the best thing about them though is that most times they rip off with no damage and can be easily reattached.

Benito

Caught the Bug

Not really sure what you mean about cutting, but I have installed a set of Crawler Concepts Steel fenders, and a set of Nemesis Aluminum fenders, and the only thing that requires cutting is your fender liners if you plan on re-using them. If you mean you have to drill some new holes and enlarge existing holes and install nutsert a then you are correct, and the only way you will be able to put stock fenders back on will be to bolt them into the nutsert a and leave some of the mounting hardware from the aftermarket fenders. The nemesis, Crawler Concepts and the Poison Spyder fender all install the same.

I like the look of the Nemesis Industries fender. I want to color match. Maybe you could look into buying a set of factory take offs and trim them and see if that works for you. Should be able to find some on the inexpensive side.

I just had my nemesis fenders paint matched and I also had the Crawler Concepts paint matched, they both looked sharp!

IMG_5616.jpg

IMG_2938.jpg

jesse3638

Hooked
If you want flat style fenders start with cutting the stock fenders. If you don't like the look and want the stock ones back you can buy new ones for under $400 or probably find some used for less or free. When you're looking at anywhere from $600-$1400 for aftermarket I'd start with free and go from there.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
If your planning on getting aftermarket fenders why not try cutting your stock ones first? Plastic will bend when hit, so that’s a plus. Steel or aluminum could cause body damage with a good hit. I wouldn’t worry about rust if you go with steel, that’s what paint is for.

clos0791

I think Nemesis has the best looking, and fitting, fenders out there. They are super expensive but worth it. I'm saving my pennies and I plan on buying them in a couple of years. I removed my plastic fenders and installed cheap, light, steel fenders for now. Actually, really happy with them for a temporary solution. After removing my plastic ones, I could never go back to them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

MDK210

Thanks for all the info and the informative post that said, "Yawn!". When I referred to cutting it was what PS aluminum flares have you do, cut/trim some of the wheel well.

I was looking at the Shittybilt XRC steel fenders for like $200 but I'm not sure. What do you guys do with that gap that gets exposed behind the front tire when you remove the plastic liner?

J

JKDream

If your planning on getting aftermarket fenders why not try cutting your stock ones first? Plastic will bend when hit, so that’s a plus. Steel or aluminum could cause body damage with a good hit.

Don't most of these manufactures provide extra reinforcements that prevent this?
I know Poison Spyder has some plating that goes in between the tub and fender.

TeresaBobbyHaft-roll-L.jpg

Advertisement from their website.

BaddestCross

Don't most of these manufactures provide extra reinforcements that prevent this?
I know Poison Spyder has some plating that goes in between the tub and fender.

View attachment 307777

Advertisement from their website.
Poison Spyder and maybe EVO (I couldn't ever get a definitive answer when I was looking into it) are the only fenders to my knowledge that provide those reinforcements. All the others I've seen just bolt to the body. I plan on going with the PSC when I can afford them. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom