VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - BETTER BOOST for Your BUDGET - RANCHO JL WRANGLER Sport Lift Kit

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It always amazes me that there are people out there who would completely cheap out and buy a set of $180 coil spacers and shock extensions to lift a $30,000 to $50,000 Jeep JL Wrangler. I mean, I get that these people might be on a budget especially after making an expensive purchase like that but to spend that much money on a Jeep and then ruin its ride just to get a bit of lift - it just makes no sense to me.

Also known as a "budget boost", coil spacers will get your JL Wrangler sitting higher off the ground but they'll do so at the cost of your ride. Ultimately, you're still working with a set of really soft factory coils, ones that were never designed to carry the kind of weight you'd get from something like a heavy steel bumper and winch or a ton of gear packed in the back and with all of that weight sitting higher off the ground. Of course, shock extensions will allow you to keep your factory shocks but then, those shocks were designed to manage the weight of stock wheels and tires - NOT the significantly heavier weight of big off road tires and/or beadlock wheels and I would assume, that's the reason why most people are wanting to lift their JL in the first place.

The Rancho 2" Sport Lift is a $640 lift kit... you hear that? Just SIX HUNDRED and FORTY DOLLARS and it comes complete with new progressive rate coils, new RS5000X shocks with DRS and a host of other components that'll not only help you lift your JL Wrangler but do so in a way that will offer a much better ride, both on and off road. Heck, if you're lucky enough to buy it while Rancho is running one of their great rebate programs, you'll even be able to save an additional $100! Sure, this kit costs a bit more but really, it's just a bit and if you ask me, it's a much better way to give your JL Wrangler a bit of a boost and on a budget.

In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you'll see all that you'll get with the Rancho Sport Lift and just how easy it is to install on a Jeep JL Wrangler. You'll also get to see our initial testing of it and hear our impressions of it. We hope you enjoy it, would be grateful if you could LIKE it and would love to hear what you think about it. :cool:

What You will get with the Rancho Sport Lift
• (1) RS865B Coil Spring - Left Front
• (1) RS866B Coil Spring - Right Front
• (1) RS867B Coil Spring - Left Rear
• (1) RS868B Coil Spring - Right Rear
• (2) RS55065 RS5000X Front Shocks
• (2) RS55066 RS5000X Rear Shocks
• (2) Front Bumpstop Extensions
• (2) Rear Bumpstop Extensions
• (2) Front Sway Bar Link Extension Brackets
• (2) Rear Extended Sway Bar Links
• (1) Emergency Brake Relocation Bracket
• Installation Hardware

What You Will Need
• 10, 13, 15, 18, 19, 21, 22, 24mm Sockets & Wrenches
• 1/2, 9/16" Sockets & Wrenches
• Crescent Wrench
• Ratchet
• Ratchet Extension
• Ft. Lb. Torque Wrench - 250 lb. Capacity
• (2) Vicegrips
• Floor Jack
• Jack Stands
• Wheel Chocks

NOTE: This video is just a highlight of what will need to be done in order to install the Rancho Sport Lift on a Jeep JL Wrangler. It is important for you to reference the instructions that Rancho provides with this kit to ensure complete and proper installation.

Andy5160

Hooked
Super cool write up as usual, Thank you guys .
Two questions I have is that first I noticed some rubbing marks on the lower control arms curious what causes it and the second in not a question but rather an observation and could be just me but I would most likely not install the bolt attaching the factory break lines to the relocation bracket pointing towards the fuel line unless there is plenty of room back there.
Once again Thank you and can’t wait to see trail tasting [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Super cool write up as usual, Thank you guys .
Two questions I have is that first I noticed some rubbing marks on the lower control arms curious what causes it and the second in not a question but rather an observation and could be just me but I would most likely not install the bolt attaching the factory break lines to the relocation bracket pointing towards the fuel line unless there is plenty of room back there.
Once again Thank you and can’t wait to see trail tasting [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

1. The rub marks you see are from our tires making contact with them ever so slightly at a full turn. This is mainly from the fact that we're running 13.50 wide tires on wheels with 4.75" of back spacing. I could easily eliminate it by adjusting the steer stops but then, the rubbing really is so slight, I don't feel it's necessary.

2. The relocation bracket keeps the e-brake cables away from the fuel lines but relocating them does cause the e-brake handle go way up high before it starts to engage. There are definitely benefits to relocating the cables but I don't know how much it's necessary with just 2"-2.5" of lift.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Coolio! Looks simple enough.... $600 - 2" coil lift to run 37's.... Real happy for you JL owners.... Real F'n Happy. :doh: LOL
Seriously though, great video.... was there a height change at all compared to EVO's spacer lift?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Coolio! Looks simple enough.... $600 - 2" coil lift to run 37's.... Real happy for you JL owners.... Real F'n Happy. :doh: LOL

:cheesy:

Seriously though, great video.... was there a height change at all compared to EVO's spacer lift?

As a matter of fact, we got a bit more lift up front and measurably more in the rear or at least, when compared to what we were seeing with factory coils and coil spacers. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nice install video, looks simple enough. Kind of hard to beat the price, the height looks good with the 37’s too. Looking forward to the wheeling video.

Thanks! For what you get, I personally think this is a much better buy if you're on a budget. Working on the off road test now :)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Two things, what’s up with the breather tube? Is there a hard tube coming out of the axle then the soft tube?

IMG_6342.jpg

And I need that torque wrench. Lol looks way nicer than my current.

Great informative video as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Two things, what’s up with the breather tube? Is there a hard tube coming out of the axle then the soft tube?

Yes. And, the soft tube has a bigger tube around it :crazyeyes:

And I need that torque wrench. Lol looks way nicer than my current.

Great informative video as usual.

LOL!! Tekton makes surprisingly nice tools and for a reasonable cost. This thing is WAY NICER than the Craftsman that it replaced and I'm very disappointed to say that.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Yes. And, the soft tube has a bigger tube around it :crazyeyes:

LOL!! Tekton makes surprisingly nice tools and for a reasonable cost. This thing is WAY NICER than the Craftsman that it replaced and I'm very disappointed to say that.

Interesting on the breather tube.

I have been buying tekton to replace my tools that were stolen. Nice stuff so far.

Does that torque wrench only go to 150ft lbs?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting on the breather tube.

I have been buying tekton to replace my tools that were stolen. Nice stuff so far.

Does that torque wrench only go to 150ft lbs?

While they do make one that only goes up to 150, the one I got goes up to 250.

Bruduc

Great job once again 👍
The front come with 9000, rear 7000, but you keeping the 5000 ??? What's the difference between all those, if you change the 5000 will it be better as you seem to feel it a bit harsh ?

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Great job once again [emoji106]
The front come with 9000, rear 7000, but you keeping the 5000 ??? What's the difference between all those, if you change the 5000 will it be better as you seem to feel it a bit harsh ?

The kit comes with 5000x. Are you referring to the shock images you saw on the shock boxes? Rancho uses the same box for all their shocks, with pics of each shock on different sides.

Bruduc

The kit comes with 5000x. Are you referring to the shock images you saw on the shock boxes? Rancho uses the same box for all their shocks, with pics of each shock on different sides.

Yep, when Eddie unbox in the video we can see the shock code number on it, that's why I was asking, but your explanation of the package box make sense, didn't know they used the same box.
Thanks
But the question about difference remains 😉

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great job once again 👍

Yup, what notnalc68 said, Rancho uses the same box for all their shocks. If I showed them rotated in a different way, you'd see an image of a different shock :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom