ARB Locker for Dana 30

kundog331

As in a Rubicon take off? or build a Pro Rock 44 or Rock Jock 44?

This is my daily driver, and i feel that the dana 30 diff is on it's last leg. I was thinking, if I could find a ARB for a reasonable price, i could could get by for awhile.

You would be better off spending your money on a 44 front.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

This is my daily driver, and i feel that the dana 30 diff is on it's last leg. I was thinking, if I could find a ARB for a reasonable price, i could could get by for awhile.

For the price of a new arb locker you could find a used rubicon front axle. Depending on what you plan to do with your Jeep a Prorock 44 would also be a great option. A locker in your 30 front is only going to screw things up faster.

Why do you think there’s something wrong with the diff? And why do you believe an arb is the fix?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Why do you think there’s something wrong with the diff? And why do you believe an arb is the fix?

Exactly my thought. No chance that an axle "on its last leg" could handle the abuse. I have a feeling that the OP either doesn't understand how a locker works, or is looking for an excuse to dump money into his axle.
Either way upgrading the 30 is the wrong answer.

kundog331

Exactly my thought. No chance that an axle "on its last leg" could handle the abuse. I have a feeling that the OP either doesn't understand how a locker works, or is looking for an excuse to dump money into his axle.
Either way upgrading the 30 is the wrong answer.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. When I was installing my new driveshaft, it felt like that the front diff had an excessive amount of play in the pinion/ring gear. I haven't taken the diff cover off to investigate further yet.

If I am going to possibly rebuild the front diff, i was thinking it might be work looking for a locker. I was only looking to see what was out there for sale.

I will shift my focus on looking for a Rubicon housing and start a build from there.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Do you mean rotational play as in backlash? Or does the pinion have up/down or in/out play? If the play you are feeling is gear backlash it can be deceiving. It can feel like a lot more than it really is. Any other play should be of concern.
The general consensus is that doing anything to a D30 is just throwing money away, especially since Rubicon 44s are so easy to come by. But keep in mind, do your homework the Rubicon 44 has its own weaknesses. anything you buy should be purchased for where you want your build to get instead of where your build currently is.

kundog331

Do you mean rotational play as in backlash? Or does the pinion have up/down or in/out play? If the play you are feeling is gear backlash it can be deceiving. It can feel like a lot more than it really is. Any other play should be of concern.
The general consensus is that doing anything to a D30 is just throwing money away, especially since Rubicon 44s are so easy to come by. But keep in mind, do your homework the Rubicon 44 has its own weaknesses. anything you buy should be purchased for where you want your build to get instead of where your build currently is.

Thank You QuicksilverJK!

I am talking backlash play. It just felt sloppy. I will have to check the up/down play. I will start saving more pennies to build a solid Dana 44.

If you’re gears are worn enough to have a severe amount of backlash it would probably have to be missing teeth. And you would know if that was the case from other symptoms, so it’s probably just fine. And if it were that, a locker isn’t fix, a new gear set is. If you wanna get a locker just bc you want a locker have at it. As others have stated the 30 in a jku isn’t exactly beefy.

Top Bottom