Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Went to look at a trailer...

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSQCON View Post
    Pintles are also a big no no when it comes to off-road trailers as they are limited in movement and can cause the vehicle to flop if the trailer goes.
    Curious where you heard this. Pintle hitches where standard for any rough terrain for many many years, that is why nearly every military trailer made came with one. Noisy as hell, but by the time I'm concerned that the trailer will flop I would already be concerned without one.
    I do like the looks and design of the newer off road hitches though, and will likely be converting mine to the Max Coupler in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverJK View Post
    Curious where you heard this. Pintle hitches where standard for any rough terrain for many many years, that is why nearly every military trailer made came with one. Noisy as hell, but by the time I'm concerned that the trailer will flop I would already be concerned without one.
    I do like the looks and design of the newer off road hitches though, and will likely be converting mine to the Max Coupler in the near future.

X2
    I always thought the pintle hitches we're the way to go off road...

They probably were but the new multi axis hitches are the way to go now. Consider this with a pintle...your off-road and coming around a bend with an off camber turn. You have to swing wide because of your trailer and with everything leaning your trailer flops. In this situation the pintle can contact the hitch and be enough to cause your tow vehicle to roll. With the new multi axis hitches the trailer has far less of an impact on the tow vehicle.

Pintles are great for 20k flat decks pulling a skid steer, not so great off-road

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    I agree that the 3 axis hitches now are better for allowing a trailer to flop without affecting the tow vehicle, but a safe driver wouldn't allow the trailer into a situation where it is likely to flop.
    The only reason that I am likely to upgrade is to get rid of the slop front/back that drives me nuts with the clunking.

Nothing but a Thing Overland_stormtrooper's Avatar
    Pintle may be a bit outdated but it's what I have .. thus far both on an off road this thing has tracked dead on in my tracks .. loud at times yup but it's just one more off road clunk and deadens the noise I get from my B.A. rack ...

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12