Went to look at a trailer...

prionic1

Looking for a trailer that could serve as a platform for trail, camping, overland style trailer I thought I'd go check out the m1101/m1102 trailers that you can find in auctions or for sale around. I found one for a decent price and pics looked good. I was excited to check it out.

When I got there and walked up to the thing... HOLY COW... those things are MASSIVE. Pictures do not do them justice.... even if I were to take the bed off of the thing... it's still considerably wider than the track of the JK.

Well back to the idea of building what I want. I think that's the route to go anyhow. There really isn't anyone who makes exactly what I want and the ones that come close are super expensive. It won't be cheap to build either, but it SHOULD be cheaper and also tailored to exactly the way I want it.

Oh well... just know, if you haven't seen an m1101/m1102 trailer in person, know it's MUCH larger than the photos lead you think... at least that was the case with me.

fiend

Caught the Bug
What do those weigh? In addition to the physical size, I’d be concerned about weight. JKs are not exactly purpose built tow vehicles.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Those are really big for a jk. I have a M116 that I shortened to a 4x8 bed and the axle width is very close to matching the JK. Tracks great, but the pintle hitch is gonna have to go, it's way too noisy off road.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Looking for a trailer that could serve as a platform for trail, camping, overland style trailer I thought I'd go check out the m1101/m1102 trailers that you can find in auctions or for sale around. I found one for a decent price and pics looked good. I was excited to check it out.

When I got there and walked up to the thing... HOLY COW... those things are MASSIVE. Pictures do not do them justice.... even if I were to take the bed off of the thing... it's still considerably wider than the track of the JK.

Well back to the idea of building what I want. I think that's the route to go anyhow. There really isn't anyone who makes exactly what I want and the ones that come close are super expensive. It won't be cheap to build either, but it SHOULD be cheaper and also tailored to exactly the way I want it.

Oh well... just know, if you haven't seen an m1101/m1102 trailer in person, know it's MUCH larger than the photos lead you think... at least that was the case with me.

Check the GSA government auctions. Since you're not looking for something ready to go there are several on there which may be what you need to get you going on your build.

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/

Edit: I didn't check before I posted the link but it appears what I was looking at last week may have ended. If you're diligent there is always stuff on there.

Last edited:

prionic1

I’m tempted to just buy a pneumatic rivet setter and build a similar trailer to the m1101, actually closer to the Schutt xventure... very similar trailers, but the Xventure is the fancy civvy suv version.

A lot of work for sure and certainly more expensive than a mil trailer that just isn’t what im really after, but i think it’s maybe worth it in the end.

Last edited:

RSQCON

It might work for you in the overland setting but we just got off the Rubicon and came across a guy in a JKU pulling one of those trailers. We was running 40s and locks and the trailer had a title hitch loaded with a moderate amount of gear. It did not go well for him. The weight of the trailer was pushing him around and when we finally came across him on Cadillac Hill he was stuck. We ended up disconnecting the trailer and using a winch on a rig behind him to reposition the trailer while he repositioned his Jeep and then reconnected. I would avoid those based on size and weight issues.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Having a m101 and pulling it for the last few weeks on this trip I'm on .. my opinion is this while a trailer is nice it's also a pain as it has me somewhat limited to where I can an cant go .. now granted once I'm in a spot for a few days it isn't a issue but without it I would have more places available overall to camp.. as for the mileage only a slight drop in the flats but once in the hills an mountains that is when you'll know you got it ..

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

prionic1

RSQCON and Overland_stormtrooper, That’s certainly the impression that I got when I saw one in person. I think a build that’s tailored in size and weight for the JK is a better route for me, even if it’s a lot more work on the front end to design and acquire the proper tooling.

RSQCON

Pintles are also a big no no when it comes to off-road trailers as they are limited in movement and can cause the vehicle to flop if the trailer goes.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Pintles are also a big no no when it comes to off-road trailers as they are limited in movement and can cause the vehicle to flop if the trailer goes.

Curious where you heard this. Pintle hitches where standard for any rough terrain for many many years, that is why nearly every military trailer made came with one. Noisy as hell, but by the time I'm concerned that the trailer will flop I would already be concerned without one.
I do like the looks and design of the newer off road hitches though, and will likely be converting mine to the Max Coupler in the near future.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Curious where you heard this. Pintle hitches where standard for any rough terrain for many many years, that is why nearly every military trailer made came with one. Noisy as hell, but by the time I'm concerned that the trailer will flop I would already be concerned without one.
I do like the looks and design of the newer off road hitches though, and will likely be converting mine to the Max Coupler in the near future.

X2
I always thought the pintle hitches we're the way to go off road...

RSQCON

They probably were but the new multi axis hitches are the way to go now. Consider this with a pintle...your off-road and coming around a bend with an off camber turn. You have to swing wide because of your trailer and with everything leaning your trailer flops. In this situation the pintle can contact the hitch and be enough to cause your tow vehicle to roll. With the new multi axis hitches the trailer has far less of an impact on the tow vehicle.

Pintles are great for 20k flat decks pulling a skid steer, not so great off-road

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I agree that the 3 axis hitches now are better for allowing a trailer to flop without affecting the tow vehicle, but a safe driver wouldn't allow the trailer into a situation where it is likely to flop.
The only reason that I am likely to upgrade is to get rid of the slop front/back that drives me nuts with the clunking.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
Pintle may be a bit outdated but it's what I have .. thus far both on an off road this thing has tracked dead on in my tracks .. loud at times yup but it's just one more off road clunk and deadens the noise I get from my B.A. rack ...

Sent from my SM-G892A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom