Rubicon and Loon lake

JKEmmy

Hey everyone, the misses and I are headed to Loon lake this Thursday to camp and so a little trail recon in the Rubicon! Just wanted to post up and see if anyone had good info or tips for camping there and for driving a day trip on the trail. Also if anyone will be in the area 15th to the 19th it's be cool to meet up. Let us know!

Ruvicon

We just camped Rubicon Springs on Tuesday night which isn’t too far from Loon Lake and a Bear came into our camp four times that night getting into trash and one bag. So leave your food and trash well away from your tents or hang it up out of reach.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jjlong

I'll be camping at Loon Lake with a couple of friends on Thursday before starting the trail Friday morning. Keep an eye out and come say hello! 20180512_131703.jpg

JKEmmy

Awesome thanks guys..... I'll be lookin jjlong..... Let us know if you have problems with bears. Well have our husky. Sure she'll lose that fight every time haha.

JKEmmy

Thanks Fiend , speedy,
How tough is it to buck island lake? Or to Wentworth at the y? We will probably be alone unless we head out with jjlong. So we wanna not break something that we can't make it back with.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Thanks Fiend , speedy,
How tough is it to buck island lake? Or to Wentworth at the y? We will probably be alone unless we head out with jjlong. So we wanna not break something that we can't make it back with.

Tough is a subjective term. So I’m not sure what you would call it. Neither of those is really that difficult in my opinion. I would say start cruising in from Loon and if you get to the Y and feel like that’s about as challenging as you’d like, hang a left and go out to Wentworth. Just bypass the postpile, you’ll know it when you see it. If you want more challenge hang a right at the Y and go until you feel like turning around.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Thanks Fiend , speedy,

To the Y is short. That will give you a taste of the Rubicon.

Getting to Buck Island Lake will take most of the day. Based on the description of your rig in your bio, I’d say you have the set up to do it. You will want some quality sliders and skid plates though.

Ordinarily I would strongly recommend against going alone. However, the Rubicon is well traveled, so it’s unlikely you’ll be completely on your own. All the same, try to find at least one other rig to roll with, just in case.

black pearl

Hooked
I'll be up there 17-19, but I'm only going in as far as Ellis creek on this trip.
We ran out to buck island last month, solo family trip. If you take your time and kinda scout out your lines in the more technical spots you'll be fine. Took us about six hours with multiple stops.

Top Bottom