Ball Joint Repair

Kaylasiemon

Using a ball joint press, we managed to push the ball joint stem through the ball joint so know the base is still stuck in there. I don’t think the ball joint press we rented has small enough adapters to push the bottom through the top to remove the upper ball joint. Any advice? Also, would a torch be helpful?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Using a ball joint press, we managed to push the ball joint stem through the ball joint so know the base is still stuck in there. I don’t think the ball joint press we rented has small enough adapters to push the bottom through the top to remove the upper ball joint. Any advice? Also, would a torch be helpful?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had to do the same thing recently, try this
IMG_3275.JPG

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Got a pic of that?

Torch may help. But the best thing you can do is find the closest size adapter as possible and press it out.

WJCO

Meme King
If you have a piece of junk pipe or tubing laying around that will fit, cut a piece off.

Same as the other guys said. Piece of pipe, sockets, whatever.

Better yet though is get the proper adapter. With the right one and a press that has zero flex in it these things pop right out. It also helps to whack the steering knuckle at the ball joint with a dead blow before and during pressing. Sometimes you get lucky with some tension on the press and a solid whack it’ll pop out from the shock.

jeeeep

Hooked
if you pushed the stem thru, sounds like you used too shallow of a cup or didn't have the hole of the clamp on the correct side.

what others have mentions to push out the body and remember to check the cup depth before pressing in the new ball joint or you'll ruin the ball joint

zimm

Caught the Bug
As mentioned, that sucker should be soaking wet in penetrating oil. Kroil, PB blaster, liquid wrench.... something!

Jody Treadway

I use a Matco super duty air hammer to remove ball joints. In your case, I think some sort of hammering action is going to be required so you can jarr the joint loose in the C.
Is there anyway you can borrow a compressor and appropriate air hammer?

They work every time and you don't risk injury like canhappen with a BJ press.

J

JKDream

I use a Matco super duty air hammer to remove ball joints. In your case, I think some sort of hammering action is going to be required so you can jarr the joint loose in the C.
Is there anyway you can borrow a compressor and appropriate air hammer?

They work every time and you don't risk injury like canhappen with a BJ press.

I don't think I'd use an air hammer to press out a ball joint, that just sounds like it would mar the end forging.
It's really quite simple if it's rusted in there, you just put pressure on it with the press and then tap the forging with a hammer and watch the magic happen.
Not to mention, how do you suppose you get the air hammer in there pressing straight on the upper balljoint? :crazyeyes:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I did the same thing, pushed the stem right through. I leased a Ball joint press from Advance Auto Parts. Make sure you get the big kit, it has plenty of adapters the get the job done

Jody Treadway

I don't think I'd use an air hammer to press out a ball joint, that just sounds like it would mar the end forging...
Not to mention, how do you suppose you get the air hammer in there pressing straight on the upper balljoint? :crazyeyes:

It in no way will damage the end forging unless the user does something utterly stupid. The ball joint will dislodge far sooner than any marring of the C can take place.
You don't apply the chisel (on the air hammer) straight on. Instead you go at a 45* angle from opposing sides and walk it right up out of the C. Then you simply insert the air hammer down through the opening for the upper BJ and knock the lower downward.

If it sounds like I have done it before, I have. For 20 years this October.

Top Bottom