Advice on what I can do with budget.

LUCCHESE

Before I start asking any crazy questions. Would roughly $6,000 be enough to start putting 37s on my JKU. Or Should I start with 35's and build my jeep so I can upgrade to 37s? It's a 14' JKU Sport.

Goal right now is basically DD, camping. Nothing crazy. I honestly probably don't need 37s, but I want them, and would like to do more difficult wheeling later on.

Original goal was either a 2.5'' lift or a 4'' lift with 37x12.5x17 bfg ko2s on basic mat black pro comp wheels. (I did pick these due to good reviews, but also the weight of the tire) Hoping it would help with wanting to make that leap.

I have no mods on my jeep currently. Top priorities are complete suspension to handle either set of tires, tires, wheels, gearing (depending on the advice I get) Rear bumper and tire carrier. Maybe a locker for the rear if I am going to regear.

My biggest problem is that I love the way 37s look. I live in Houston, and there are SOOOO many jeeps on a basic 35 set up, and I hate the way it looks. I do want a functional jeep. I just have a learning curve, and need to do some mods before I feel comfy enough to take on tougher terrain. So either a mall crawler 37s set up, or a super mean 35 set up...

I am asking with the budget because I have read a lot, and I have taken in a lot of information. I just still don't feel comfortable enough with the information as there is SO much of it. Sometimes doing research actually makes it worse. So many options, and combos and ways to do shit...

Anyways, this is my first venture into doing stuff for real on my jeep. Also, my first time with any of this. SO any information would be useful.

I really don't wanna have to do something twice. Also, I will have more money in the future. I just am curious what I can do with that initial installment.

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Put a spreadsheet together. I think you’ll find that going to 37s the right way is going to be a challenge with a $6k budget. You’ll burn through that on the lift and tires alone. You’ll want a regear, at least a front drive shaft, and some C gussets on top of that. A big brake kit is recommended (though not necessary). And if you’re paying someone to do all the work, it will be expensive. Realistically, expect it to cost more like $10-12k all said and done.

WJCO

Meme King
I would say stick with 35s, but if your heart is set on 37s, you'll likely do it anyways up the road so start saving now. Otherwise you will spend the money twice. Being that you have a D30 up front, that really isn't an ideal axle for 37s. Dynatrac offers a Trail Leader package that comes with a complete front ProRock 44 axle and a rear locker with stronger rear shafts. If my goal was 37s, I'd start there myself.

ninemmbill

Put a spreadsheet together. I think you’ll find that going to 37s the right way is going to be a challenge with a $6k budget. You’ll burn through that on the lift and tires alone. You’ll want a regear, at least a front drive shaft, and some C gussets on top of that. A big brake kit is recommended (though not necessary). And if you’re paying someone to do all the work, it will be expensive. Realistically, expect it to cost more like $10-12k all said and done.

Agreed, looking at 37's myself. With the jump from a 35 to 37" tire comes a lot of changes.

HatcHJeeP

I did a Rock Krawler 3.5 inch mid arm X factor lift with 35 inch tires. With that lift I can go up to 40s later on. But for now I can enjoy my Jeep while I’m saving up for everything that needs to be changed when I go up to 37s. I spent around $4500 for everything, but I got a ridiculous deal on rims and tires and installed the lift myself.

LUCCHESE

I have done a mini spreadsheet and I think I knew it was gonna be to much, but I didn't wanna believe it, ahah. I'm sure i'm not the first one to feel that way. It was looking at like 42-4500 just for wheels, tires, lift, and drive shaft. Where I could definitely get more out of my money by going with 35s.

LUCCHESE

I did a Rock Krawler 3.5 inch mid arm X factor lift with 35 inch tires. With that lift I can go up to 40s later on. But for now I can enjoy my Jeep while I’m saving up for everything that needs to be changed when I go up to 37s. I spent around $4500 for everything, but I got a ridiculous deal on rims and tires and installed the lift myself.

I'm thinking this is what I should do. That gives me the extra wiggle room for bumpers and other cosmetics like lightning and what have you. I like the look of yours. Plus it would give room to grow, as you said.

HatcHJeeP

I’ve had my lift and tires on for almost a month now and have taken it out every weekend and I’m extremely happy with it. For shocks I went with Fox.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I would say stick with 35s, but if your heart is set on 37s, you'll likely do it anyways up the road so start saving now. Otherwise you will spend the money twice. Being that you have a D30 up front, that really isn't an ideal axle for 37s. Dynatrac offers a Trail Leader package that comes with a complete front ProRock 44 axle and a rear locker with stronger rear shafts. If my goal was 37s, I'd start there myself.

Would that bow his budget?

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Do you plan on installing the lift yourself or having a shop do it? That will make a big difference.
So anywhere from $1500-2k for 37s, depending on lift it can range from $700-3k. Can get by with the evo lift that comes with lower control arms for around $1200 I believe. Gears can be up to 2k as well. Unless you find someone doing a deal for around 1k.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

^^^this^^^ Buy once cry once.

jesse3638

Hooked
Plan where you want to go and build towards it. That was my plan. I spent more on a lift because I knew I may end up going to 37's. I'm running 35's now and have been. My mistake was getting 1310 drive shafts. Should have went 1350 from the beginning. To comfortably and reliably run 37's there is much more involved than simply throwing on a cheap 3" lift wheels and tires and going for it.

BaddestCross

Definitely build with an end goal in mind so you don't have to buy twice.

I gusseted my front axle to run 35s for a year while I was saving and collecting parts to move to 37s. Buy the best parts you can afford and don't skip steps that may cause you trouble and more money down the road.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

TrailHunter

Hooked
Like stated above.... build towards 37's because that's clearly your goal. But with a minimal budget you will waste a little bit of dough on the D30. Here's a thought.. go with a 3" stage 1 EVO lift w/ draglink flip.... 35's.... Re-gear to 4.88, lock the rear, gusset the front. Buy the 17" wheels now that you will use with the 37's.... 3.5 or 4" BS. Then when you're financially ready, get a PR44 and 37" tires and address fenders. Remember there will be other things to do other than suspension that you could do before or after the lift.... bumpers, skids, sliders, compressor etc.... But if you plan on going with bigger axles (44/60, 60/60, or 60/80) front & Rear.... maybe just wait, save your money and do everything once.... In the meantime you could do a EVO budget boost, run 33's and go have some fun.

jesse3638

Hooked
Like stated above.... build towards 37's because that's clearly your goal. But with a minimal budget you will waste a little bit of dough on the D30. Here's a thought.. go with a 3" stage 1 EVO lift w/ draglink flip.... 35's.... Re-gear to 4.88, lock the rear, gusset the front. Buy the 17" wheels now that you will use with the 37's.... 3.5 or 4" BS. Then when you're financially ready, get a PR44 and 37" tires and address fenders. Remember there will be other things to do other than suspension that you could do before or after the lift.... bumpers, skids, sliders, compressor etc.... But if you plan on going with bigger axles (44/60, 60/60, or 60/80) front & Rear.... maybe just wait, save your money and do everything once.... In the meantime you could do a EVO budget boost, run 33's and go have some fun.

^^^This^^^ You don't need to have 37's or 35's to be able to go out and wheel. You'll be surprised where your Jeep will take you. You could always focus on sliders and skids and then go wheel and see what it can do. That may give you a better idea of where you want to go as well.

Tanktitan

Jeeps are incredibly capable stock. I would figure out what you are wanting to do that you can’t do now, then plan your build to function for that purpose. There are trade offs in most builds. You may not want to DD 37’s if you never need them. Conversely 37’s are just what the doctor ordered if you plan on serious off roading. When you decide, save up to do it all at once. You will break fewer things that way.

LUCCHESE

Based on a lot of responses and self reflection, I think I may actually humble the hell out of myself and rock 33s. I want 37s, but to be honest, I don't need them, nor do I feel I am a capable driver to use them(off road and climbing that is). I think starting at 33s with a complete set up would be more beneficial than a half assed 35/37s. Plus, I honestly think 35's would be the biggest tire I would need for a while It seems good body armor makes up for the difference in tire size of a 35/37.

Putting it out on the forum really helped me sort out my thoughts of wants and needs. Realizing that I can make a very capable rig with 33s.. and have extra in my budget vs no money left and needing more to come.

Thanks for all the awesome advice. I strongly agree I should probably just get out there and start seeing what I can/want to do, and going from there. Plus it seems where I live, and what I would currently do, there is no need to invest that money into something that may not get its value in usage. If I didn't live in Houston, and had access to more rugged terrain, I'd probably set up for 35s. However, I think 33s will be a good place to start, and isn't hard to transition to 35s.

With that being said, I have decided to start small, and work my way up! Thanks again for the advice and for not being dicks about it :D

Jsouder53

Hooked
Awesome conclusion! Stepping up tire size over time is what most people on here have done and you really learn how to handle your Jeep over the terrain you are taking on. Plus saves you money for the beginning stages of your build [emoji106] I’m planning for 37s a couple years out [emoji23] I’m dying to have them after today! But I don’t have a front axle capable to handle 37s or money for an axle currently.

Top Bottom