Can EVO Short Lowers Work with 'Stock' Suspension

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Howdy,

I suspect the answer is, Yes. However on the chance it's No, thought I'd ask.

Stitch is a '15 JKU Rubicon w/57K, running an EVO leveling lift. He's developed a case of steering pull toward the left. 0-50, basically neutral. Go past 50 MPH, it gets pretty healthy by 75MPH. Need a constant ~2lb pressure on the steering wheel to stay on track. Gets real old after a while. And, with a 4-5000 mile trip coming up, am working to resolve the problem.

Tires are Goodrich T/A KO2s, rotated twice since this showed up. The problem really didn't seem to appear until after replacing tie rods, drag link, and steering damper ~3 months ago. Did my own alignment, then took it in to Belle Tire for alignment as well, no change. Figured, 'maybe' I'd not gotten toe-in right.

About now, pushing 60K, I expecting ball joints will become an issue soon. They do not seem to be bad right now, no wobbling, nor did Belle Tire see anything wrong.

There is no obvious damage to suspension, such as an impact suggesting a control arm might be bent. However Belle Tire's diagnostic print out did suggest a fair number of measurements in the red. Toe-in's basically a tire-wear consideration. As I understand it Camber and Caster are the two that will actually impact direction. Of those, Caster's the only one I can impact.

Certainly interested in folk's inputs. I've read other 'steering pull' threads in the forum. They've not helped me resolve my problem.

So, I'm considering a set of EVO's Enforcer Series Adjustable lower control arms (EVO-1064). I expect they should work just fine on my basically stock JKU.

Thoughts appreciated.

JT...

Attachments

• BT Diagnostics LR.jpg
    BT Diagnostics LR.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Did they correct your toe in? Your driver side camber indicates a failing ball joint I believe. You can use the evo lower control arms to adjust the caster because they are adjustable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JKbrick

I don’t think camber is even adjustable on our jeeps and I also don’t think you can adjust caster from side to side with a solid axle. But I could be wrong, this is just my understanding of a solid front axle

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
I don’t think camber is even adjustable on our jeeps and I also don’t think you can adjust caster from side to side with a solid axle. But I could be wrong, this is just my understanding of a solid front axle

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Other than a failing ball joint as noted in another response, you’re correct. Stock axle camber is not adjustable.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Did they correct your toe in? Your driver side camber indicates a failing ball joint I believe. You can use the evo lower control arms to adjust the caster because they are adjustable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The adjustability is what I’m after for that reason.

First test will be stabilizer. I’m already leaning toward ball joints next weekend regardless. It’d be interesting to see the readings afterward.

jesse3638

Hooked
The adjustability is what I’m after for that reason.

First test will be stabilizer. I’m already leaning toward ball joints next weekend regardless. It’d be interesting to see the readings afterward.
You cannot adjust caster independently of each side on a solid axle. Terraflex's instructions say to make one arm longer by an 1/8" if I remember correctly to put "cross caster". This simply places the axle in a state of torsion only creating the potential of it breaking.

As mentioned a pressurized stabilizer, like bilstein, fox, etc. will cause a pull to the left. Pull it off and go for a drive and see if it's still there.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Did you get a pressurised steering stabilizer? That will push you to the left.

Thanks for the suggestion. Hadn't thought the steering stabilizer would have such an effect. Removed it today. Sure enough, straight-track, no pull to the left, as it should be.

Just need to shop for a different stabilizer now.

:)

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks for the suggestion. Hadn't thought the steering stabilizer would have such an effect. Removed it today. Sure enough, straight-track, no pull to the left, as it should be.

Just need to shop for a different stabilizer now.

:)

Find an OEM take off. There is nothing wrong with that. I'm running rough country as it was cheaper than an OEM. I think it was $50 with a relocation bracket to move it up. Seems to be working fine.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Crux of the problem was the stabilizer I originally selected. Planning to do lift and tires next year, thought i'd just buy one unit now that would work then (Rancho RS7000). Talking with Rancho today (forgot, they're in my backyard), they said, yep, that one's for big tires/lift...not suitable for sub-35s.

Fortunately it's an inexpensive item to rectify. Since I'm brushing 58K now, and I expect to do another 5K miles in the next 5 weeks, I'm going to go ahead and replace ball joints this weekend as well.

So, when Stitch grows up, maybe he'll get the RS7000 put back on :).

BaddestCross

Crux of the problem was the stabilizer I originally selected. Planning to do lift and tires next year, thought i'd just buy one unit now that would work then (Rancho RS7000). Talking with Rancho today (forgot, they're in my backyard), they said, yep, that one's for big tires/lift...not suitable for sub-35s.

Fortunately it's an inexpensive item to rectify. Since I'm brushing 58K now, and I expect to do another 5K miles in the next 5 weeks, I'm going to go ahead and replace ball joints this weekend as well.

So, when Stitch grows up, maybe he'll get the RS7000 put back on :).
I may be wrong, but I think the 7000 is pressurized as well. I went with the 5000 because it's oil filled. It worked great with my 35s and also now with my 37s. Also, it's only $50.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Top Bottom