RH 4x4 Sport Cage vs Evo Chromoly Sport Cage

TheGrendel

I'm looking at improving the safety on my JKU. I know lots of people on here have experience with one or both of these cages. I've got an opportunity to buy a used RH 4x4 set up for a good price. But, I like the cleaner lines of the Evo cage.

any pros/cons of both would be greatly appreciated.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking at improving the safety on my JKU. I know lots of people on here have experience with one or both of these cages. I've got an opportunity to buy a used RH 4x4 set up for a good price. But, I like the cleaner lines of the Evo cage.

any pros/cons of both would be greatly appreciated.

I've run both and can tell you that both are really nice. The EVO cage is easier to install and if you have a 2011-up JK, you'll have better visibility. I also think the EVO cage offers a more finished look without the interior trim and I personally like the position of the grab handles better. That being said, the RH cage is a solid cage with a nice classic look and in some ways, I like it in my 2007 JK because of it. Also, I've seen multiple Jeeps after rolling with the RH installed and it did it's job well. Not saying the EVO won't - I just haven't seen any JK with one installed roll or at least, not as of yet.

Ddays

Hooked
If ease of installation is a concern then the EVO kit may be the one you want to install. I have the RH cage and really like it. But getting the side pieces in requires you to figure out this weird push, jam, twist and shove maneuver that honestly, you just have to figure out on your own. The install video of theirs online where it just drops right in? Yeah, well that shit ain't happening :cheesy: It's kinda like figuring out that bent nails connected together trick. Once you figure how it works its a snap to do it over.
Still, the quality of the RH is top notch and I do like the round bar design over the squared stock EVO uses. Honestly I'd probably do the RH cage again if I was doing another build because of that only. I have seen an EVO cage and like everything else EVO makes it's pretty damn sweet.

TheGrendel

If ease of installation is a concern then the EVO kit may be the one you want to install. I have the RH cage and really like it. But getting the side pieces in requires you to figure out this weird push, jam, twist and shove maneuver that honestly, you just have to figure out on your own. The install video of theirs online where it just drops right in? Yeah, well that shit ain't happening :cheesy: It's kinda like figuring out that bent nails connected together trick. Once you figure how it works its a snap to do it over.
Still, the quality of the RH is top notch and I do like the round bar design over the squared stock EVO uses. Honestly I'd probably do the RH cage again if I was doing another build because of that only. I have seen an EVO cage and like everything else EVO makes it's pretty damn sweet.

haha, thanks for the tip.

wjtstudios

Hooked
That’s the next large mod on my list as well this winter. Is there any added wind noise from either? Do they both work easily with a hard top for the winters here in a Michigan?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
That’s the next large mod on my list as well this winter. Is there any added wind noise from either? Do they both work easily with a hard top for the winters here in a Michigan?

No wind noise that I've noticed with the RH kit. You may have to notch out the Freedom Panels where the knuckle attaches to the factory bar a tad. I had to do that on one side. Looks like the EVO kit fits just fine too.

EDIT: Note - something to watch for if you are running a hardtop and looking at the RH kit: Be sure to not overtighten the knuckles on the top crossbar. I did and it pinched the windshield frame just enough that it caused my freedom tops to leak air. It was so bad I had to use black Gorilla Tape to cut the wind from getting in. Pissed me off so much I took the damn top off & now only run the soft top. (Wish I would have done that from the beginning anyways.)

RH kit.jpg

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
The EVO is chromoly, and so is stronger than the steel RH uses. But at the end of the day, both are just add ons to the stock cage, which is what provides the main rollover protection.

wjtstudios

Hooked
No wind noise that I've noticed with the RH kit. You may have to notch out the Freedom Panels where the knuckle attaches to the factory bar a tad. I had to do that on one side. Looks like the EVO kit fits just fine too.

EDIT: Note - something to watch for if you are running a hardtop and looking at the RH kit: Be sure to not overtighten the knuckles on the top crossbar. I did and it pinched the windshield frame just enough that it caused my freedom tops to leak air. It was so bad I had to use black Gorilla Tape to cut the wind from getting in. Pissed me off so much I took the damn top off & now only run the soft top. (Wish I would have done that from the beginning anyways.)

View attachment 308331

Got it. I’ll make sure to keep that in mind this winter.

CCTX50

Been running RH for years and really like it. No experience with EVO but I do like the lines. When I installed my RH I you my time and did a test fit first. After all looked great I powder coated it and put back in. You will have to trip your freedom panels on the inside a little. Does not cause any wind noise. It is just a fitment issue around the knuckle. When completely installed you cannot even tell.

If I had to do it again I would go RH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

i ended up passing on the RH4x4 cage. the powdercoat was not a color i wanted. talked to couple of powder coat people. the cost of removing the old PC and reapplying would not be savie much over buying new. so, now i can take a bit more time and decide between the RH and Evo.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I was looking at them again last night. Both are great, and achieve the same thing. In the end, for me at least, it’s going to come down to aesthetics. I like the classic round tube look of the RH. But I’ve got a few months until I pull the trigger before I have to decide.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
The rock hard cage is great, no noise that I’ve noticed. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase it again for another jk, but would probably try out the EVO one just to try something different. They are both great sport cages

rockwell

I looked at both, both are nice. For me it came down to the more subtle look of the EVO. I painted it flat black, and besides the bar going across the dash, it blends in like it’s not even there. Everything on my Jeep is pretty much like that. If your the type that likes things to stand out and be accented, a painted RH would look better than an EVO to me for a classic roll bar look. Just my opinion.

TheGrendel

I looked at both, both are nice. For me it came down to the more subtle look of the EVO. I painted it flat black, and besides the bar going across the dash, it blends in like it’s not even there. Everything on my Jeep is pretty much like that. If your the type that likes things to stand out and be accented, a painted RH would look better than an EVO to me for a classic roll bar look. Just my opinion.

agree with this.

I don’t have first hand experience installing the Evo cage but I have driven two JK’S with it and compared to the RH cage in my personal 2014 JK, I can say I prefer the Evo cage for better visibility and it has a more finished look. The RH cage works great and I’m happy with it but if I had to choose I’d go with the EVO. Install on the RH was a pain in the ass for me personally.

Both are great cages, but I guess it comes down to which one you like the look of. I've had people who don't know about jeeps ask if my Evo cage was stock. One thing I do have to do is repaint the front crossbar flat since it does reflect onto the windshield at certain times of the day

wjtstudios

Hooked
Both are great cages, but I guess it comes down to which one you like the look of. I've had people who don't know about jeeps ask if my Evo cage was stock. One thing I do have to do is repaint the front crossbar flat since it does reflect onto the windshield at certain times of the day

Good point on the paint sheen. I’ll need to remember that

Top Bottom