G2 D44 front axle trackbar issues

North45

I have a new G2 D44 front axle on my 2014 JKU and my trackbar keeps smacking the diff cover on paved/gravel road potholes. I even had the shop install a trackbar that can supposedly clear larger covers.
Would this be a lift issue? Or is there a better option. I currently have a 2.5 OME HD lift and plan in going 3.5-4 this fall.

Thoughts?

TheGrendel

take a photo. you might be better off going back to the original track bar. many have found an adjustable track bar unnecessary.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have a new G2 D44 front axle on my 2014 JKU and my trackbar keeps smacking the diff cover on paved/gravel road potholes. I even had the shop install a trackbar that can supposedly clear larger covers.
Would this be a lift issue? Or is there a better option. I currently have a 2.5 OME HD lift and plan in going 3.5-4 this fall.

Thoughts?

What track bar are you running? Do you have adjustable control arms installed?

North45

The original control arms were used. I was thinking about using the stock control arm. the caster was also checked twice once by the mech who did the I stall and then by the 3rd party driveline guy who built my drive shafts.

Attachments

• 20180814_103051.jpg
    20180814_103051.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 64
  • 20180814_103108.jpg
    20180814_103108.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 67

WJCO

Meme King
I don't know a solution without knowing exactly what's causing the contact, however Core4x4 makes a track bar with adjustable Johnny Joints at both ends and because of that, it allows you to pivot the curved part of the track bar even more forward so you can set it further away from the diff. It's not cheap though, and certainly not necessary but it may be an option if the banging is driving you that nuts and you can't find out exactly why.

North45

I don't know a solution without knowing exactly what's causing the contact, however Core4x4 makes a track bar with adjustable Johnny Joints at both ends and because of that, it allows you to pivot the curved part of the track bar even more forward so you can set it further away from the diff. It's not cheap though, and certainly not necessary but it may be an option if the banging is driving you that nuts and you can't find out exactly why.

That is good to know. But like you said I would like to know what is exactly causing the problem. One suspition I have is my springs might be sagged out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a lot of the problem is that your diff cover is HUGE. Also, if I recall, the G2 axles come with 2 mounting points for the lower control arms or maybe it was that they allowed for cam bolts to be used. How did you have your control arms bolted up?

North45

Looks like a lot of the problem is that your diff cover is HUGE. Also, if I recall, the G2 axles come with 2 mounting points for the lower control arms or maybe it was that they allowed for cam bolts to be used. How did you have your control arms bolted up?

Oh I know it is. I think because it is aluminum they over built it. I am also considering swapping it out for a steel one.

Here are the photos of the lower control arm mounting set up.

Attachments

• 20180814_120905.jpg
    20180814_120905.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 38

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I know it is. I think because it is aluminum they over built it. I am also considering swapping it out for a steel one.

Here are the photos of the lower control arm mounting set up.

Ok, you have the cam bolts and it looks like yours is set on the middle setting - most likely the default setting. You could try setting them so that you have more caster as that would tilt the top of your diff cover back and may help give you just a bit more clearance. It'll also give you better handling at highway speeds but if you're running 5.13 gears or higher and running an aftermarket u-joint style drive shaft, you could get vibes.

North45

Ok, you have the cam bolts and it looks like yours is set on the middle setting - most likely the default setting. You could try setting them so that you have more caster as that would tilt the top of your diff cover back and may help give you just a bit more clearance. It'll also give you better handling at highway speeds but if you're running 5.13 gears or higher and running an aftermarket u-joint style drive shaft, you could get vibes.

I will give that a try once back in town. I am running 4.56 gearing with u-joint drive shafts.

Top Bottom