New front axle or re-gear

Corey18

I’m finally looking into re-gearing and adding a locker (I have a 2014 jk sport) Do I re-gear the Dana 30 and lock the rear? Or should I save up and replace the Dana 30 with a 44 locked and lock the rear ? It is kind of a daily but also not since I commute on my motorcycle most of the time any advise would be appropriated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Depends what tire size you are aiming to run.
If you're just looking at a set of 33s or 35s I'd consider doing something like a TrueTrac in the front, and an actual locker in the rear.
If you're going up to 37's then I'd probably invest that money into a new axle as you mentioned.

Bierpower

Hooked
I’m finally looking into re-gearing and adding a locker (I have a 2014 jk sport) Do I re-gear the Dana 30 and lock the rear? Or should I save up and replace the Dana 30 with a 44 locked and lock the rear ? It is kind of a daily but also not since I commute on my motorcycle most of the time any advise would be appropriated.

Save for the 44. Anything you do with a 30 that would require lockers has a good chance of bending your axle ends and then your just looking for a 44 while your broke from building a 30 and none of the parts transfer. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

E2do7

I run a Dana 30. Spartan locker up front and Eaton Elocker in the rear. BTW. I run 37s. Just wheel smart and be easy on the skinny pedal. Screenshot_20180613-165724.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

fiend

Caught the Bug
If you’re not going beyond 35s and don’t want to spend a bunch of money, do the regear and lock the rear. It’s pretty rare that you need front and rear lockers. If you later decide to dump in a bunch more money and replace the front axle, the only wasted cost will be the front regear.

Corey18

Thanks for all the advise, I really think I’m going to lock the rear and keep the Dana 30 haven’t had problems with it yet and I’ve ran some difficult trails!

jdofmemi

I would recommend to get a selectable locker for the rear, like an ARB, or an Email locker. Short wheelbase with a locker is not well mannered for a daily driver.
Regear the front and then start saving for an upgrade to a 44. If you are lucky you will be able to get it before your 30 gives up, then you have something to sell to ease the cost of the 44.

jesse3638

Hooked
I would recommend to get a selectable locker for the rear, like an ARB, or an Email locker. Short wheelbase with a locker is not well mannered for a daily driver.
Regear the front and then start saving for an upgrade to a 44. If you are lucky you will be able to get it before your 30 gives up, then you have something to sell to ease the cost of the 44.
Are you talking about a full time locker because you can get a Rubicon 2dr and it has lockers?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

13jkdune

I’d look at ox locker as well i love my ox lockers they have been great on the Jeep’s I’ve had them in

Don’t be scared to wheel a 30 just be smart that’s all

Corey18

Yeah I’m looking into Eaton E-locker for the rear just leave the front and maybe gussets if they are worth it?

Jsouder53

Hooked
Yeah I’m looking into Eaton E-locker for the rear just leave the front and maybe gussets if they are worth it?

I’m planning on regearing my 30 in the near future and definitely c gussets! But as soon as I have the money, that prorock will be on order [emoji106] just wheel smart with that 30. What do you plan on regearing too?

Corey18

I’m planning on regearing my 30 in the near future and definitely c gussets! But as soon as I have the money, that prorock will be on order [emoji106] just wheel smart with that 30. What do you plan on regearing too?

Man would I love a ProRock but very pricy! I was thinking either 4.56 or 4.88 but the local shops all recommend 4.56

Corey18

What size tires are you running or plan to run? Also do you have heavy mods such as bumpers or skid plates?

I’m running 35s and have a rather heavy setup, so I’ll be going with 4.88s.

Planning on 35s but you know you always want to go bigger lol I’m relatively lightweight besides my bumpers, winch, tire carrier and few skids. I am automatic which is also why I’m thinking of going with 4.88, I heard the autos need more help.

jdofmemi

I would go with 4.88 as well, with the situation I see here, especially if you see 35s in your future.

98XJ06LJ

I have wheeled multiple D30's over the years and can definitely say that 35's are doable if not locked. Regear the 30 for now. Leave it open and run 35's if you want. Just save some cash for a 44 if you ever want to go bigger on the tires. As others have said, just wheel smart. Not to much skinny pedal. Pick your lines.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom