Do Jeep Wrangler owners use chains in snow?

Joe98

In most ski resorts are signs saying "cars beyond this point must have chains".

Do Jeep Wranglers need chains in snow?

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I live in the mountains of SoCal and most of the time just having a set with you is enough. That said I have run into one instance the CHP wouldn't let me pass without having them on the Jeep. When I bough the Jeep they had me sign a piece of paper acknowledging that chains aren't supposed to be used..

TrailHunter

Hooked
I live in the mountains of SoCal and most of the time just having a set with you is enough. That said I have run into one instance the CHP wouldn't let me pass without having them on the Jeep. When I bough the Jeep they had me sign a piece of paper acknowledging that chains aren't supposed to be used..

I vaguely remember seeing something like that too.

duktrx

I bought 4 ice breaker chains, so if shit gets real I can go anywhere. I carry them during winter months to stay legal, but have yet needed them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
In most cases (in the sierras) by the time that chains become mandatory on 4x4 vehicles they shut the road down. Usually 4x4 with M+S tires (nearly every tire you can buy in these sizes) is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bear_JT

Hooked
I’ve never had a situation with my Jeep where I needed chains but, I could see where you might need them to be able to legally get through a road.

wanderer

let me tell you a story

It was 1978 I was going up skiing ( snowboards had not yet been invented) and it had dumped the road to big bear was jammed packed. I was sitting in line in my Jeep golden eagle CJ7 304 v8 fulltime 4wheel drive ...... and these guys come down the other way in a cj5 they seeme and pull up along side a few hi hellow how do you like etc. and they asK " why are you in line?"
I say " must be an accident up there?"
They say, " no just a bunch of idiots putting on their chains, you can just go on up"
So i did eight miles of a open topped tunnel with snow plows drifts 10 feet on either side
Got to the front a chp takes a look and waves me through
pulled up to snow summit front row right in front of the ticket window. Best parking spot ever at a ski resort.

Do jeeps need chains? hah hahhahhhahhhhaaahahaa Good one!

Mozarkid

Do bears sh!t in the woods?
Does ice give a rats backside what you're driving?

Ever been wheeling in the winter on slick, frozen mud?
Chains? Absolutely!!! Big fat ones... made from 3/8" transport chain.

WJCO

Meme King

Welcome to WAYALIFE. This one time at band camp, a bear shit in the woods.

Mozarkid

I should clarify that chains like I made should never be used on the street...
That said, chains do have their place (the street legal kind) and shouldn't be taken for granted.

Trail JK

I’ve been waved through all snow chain check points. I seem to remember something about never putting chains on a Rubicon also. Maybe someone can clarify.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Never used chains myself. I think that in most situations go you can get by without them (legally) is your tires are triple peak rated.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Seems like they close the roads if a 4x4 with snow/mud tires can’t safely make it.

However, I have used chains on more remote roads that aren’t plowed. They work best when there’s a layer of ice under the snow.

sm31

In most ski resorts are signs saying "cars beyond this point must have chains".

Do Jeep Wranglers need chains in snow?

Seems like quite a few different answers have been provided and the thing is, they're probably all right depending on the conditions. Since it's not just about snow chains anymore, my experience on pavement is...

Snow: Jeeps are great. 4WD, good clearance, aggressive tires... but this formula is not exclusive to jeeps. Chains and/or studs aren't really necessary.

Snow/Ice mix: Just as the condition implies, YMMV. I run winter rated and studded A/T tires for 7 months of the year due to these conditions.

ICE: As in solid ice. The kind the kids are breaking out their pond skates for. Sorry to say but jeeps just really suck. Studs or chains help "suggest" the direction I wish to go in but it's not like I'm driving rings around people. The only vehicles with half a prayer in this situation have a very low COG, AWD, and skinny little studded Hakkapeliittas... aka Subarus. I'm not a fan of them but they are superior to jeeps on solid ice because we have a lot working against us. Higher COG, relatively light weight compared to big 4x4 trucks, fat tires that distribute the weight, and the really good snow tires aren't made in the larger sizes we prefer. And for the pre-JK crowd, no anti-lock brakes, etc. All those factors contribute to very poor performance on ice. Chains give some of it back but not as much as I expected (or hoped).

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Seems like quite a few different answers have been provided and the thing is, they're probably all right depending on the conditions. Since it's not just about snow chains anymore, my experience on pavement is...

Snow: Jeeps are great. 4WD, good clearance, aggressive tires... but this formula is not exclusive to jeeps. Chains and/or studs aren't really necessary.

Snow/Ice mix: Just as the condition implies, YMMV. I run winter rated and studded A/T tires for 7 months of the year due to these conditions.

ICE: As in solid ice. The kind the kids are breaking out their pond skates for. Sorry to say but jeeps just really suck. Studs or chains help "suggest" the direction I wish to go in but it's not like I'm driving rings around people. The only vehicles with half a prayer in this situation have a very low COG, AWD, and skinny little studded Hakkapeliittas... aka Subarus. I'm not a fan of them but they are superior to jeeps on solid ice because we have a lot working against us. Higher COG, relatively light weight compared to big 4x4 trucks, fat tires that distribute the weight, and the really good snow tires aren't made in the larger sizes we prefer. And for the pre-JK crowd, no anti-lock brakes, etc. All those factors contribute to very poor performance on ice. Chains give some of it back but not as much as I expected (or hoped).

Probably the most thorough/ correct answer on here for the subject . As I would expect given you are in Alaska. That is one thing people do tend to forget is that something that holds true most of the time in any given climate could be totally wrong for another. Given most of my snow driving is in the sierras, my answer was slanted heavily toward the type of snow that we get here.

Top Bottom