Jeep won't start!! (not battery)

Dempsey

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that the Jeep has been starting to struggle to start up occasionally. The worst cases occur when i briefly turn the jeep off, like when I'm getting gas and then try to start it up. This morning it didn't start at all after getting gas. However when i drive it to work and park it for about 10 hours, then try to start it up there usually isnt a problem.

It is not a battery issue, i have checked that. When I turn the key in the ignition my dash lights up, radio turns on, and my headlights will light. But the engine attempts to turn over, and will keep attempting to turn over for as long as i hold it there. However it will not start. There are no abnormally loud noises that i have noticed.

I spoke with some co-workers about the issue and they had the thought that it was my starter being overheated (i do live in Texas and it has been +100°F lately, and my commute to work has increased this summer from 30 mins a day to about 1 hr 45 mins a day). Wanted to know what the Wayalife community thought before i go buy/ replace a starter.

wjtstudios

Hooked
You should have the battery tested first before you rule it out. It may have a bad cell that still gives enough power to run the accessories but not turn over the engine. The battery terminals can also become corroded and a not allow enough juice to flow.

When you try to turn it on, are there any noises? Clicking? Does it try to turn over, but then not start?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dempsey

You should have the battery tested first before you rule it out. It may have a bad cell that still gives enough power to run the accessories but not turn over the engine. The battery terminals can also become corroded and a not allow enough juice to flow.

When you try to turn it on, are there any noises? Clicking? Does it try to turn over, but then not start?

I had the battery checked and cleaned the terminals. i probably should have mentioned that.

Noise is hard to describe. Its not a clicking. It sounds like normal, but it just wont "catch" and fire up.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I had this problem a few months with my 2011 and turned out to be my starter. I was lucky enough to have it finally crank and took it to an auto store to cinfirm.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Dempsey

Is the engine actually cranking but not starting or is it struggling to crank?

I went out to the parking lot to check it and listen to it. Started up no problem. Did it 3 times in a row.

When it doesn't start however, it seems to me that the engine is cranking but not starting.

Slimebones

As previously stated, if it is turning over, it is not the starter or battery. Pull a spark plug wire and attach to remote spark plug to check for spark. If spark is evident, look for problem in fuel delivery.

DogHouse

I posted this in another thread:

Not sure what the actual cause is but mine does the same thing every now and then. Next time just turn the key to run hold your foot on the brake and put the transmission in Neutral and try to start it again, should fire right up. Mine has been doing it since I bought it back in October of 2015. I think it has something to do with the parking pawl in the transmission.

Bierpower

Hooked
I posted this in another thread:

Not sure what the actual cause is but mine does the same thing every now and then. Next time just turn the key to run hold your foot on the brake and put the transmission in Neutral and try to start it again, should fire right up. Mine has been doing it since I bought it back in October of 2015. I think it has something to do with the parking pawl in the transmission.

If this works you have a bad park position sensor in the center console. It doesn't read that the shifter is in park so the computer disables starting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Correct. Mine will start to crank. It sounds like the starter binds up and is not able to turn. Throw it in neutral and then it cranks right up.

Yep. Mine does this every now and again as well. Smacking the shifter up to park or shifting down to neutral works for me as well.

The OP is saying that the engine continuously cranks as if it should start but doesn't fire.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Dempsey

OK, so update: It started it up this past weekend (still struggled to start) and the check engine light came on, so i took it to two different auto parts stores to have them run the code. Both came back with P0222. Which is "Throttle/Pedal position sensor 'B' electrical circuit input signal had low voltage for a predetermined period of time."

Anyone have experience with this code?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
OK, so update: It started it up this past weekend (still struggled to start) and the check engine light came on, so i took it to two different auto parts stores to have them run the code. Both came back with P0222. Which is "Throttle/Pedal position sensor 'B' electrical circuit input signal had low voltage for a predetermined period of time."

Anyone have experience with this code?

No experience with that code. But I do know that (3.8) will not start if throttle is pushed. Some use this to crank a little longer, and get rid of dry start clatter.

Top Bottom