sPod vs. RacePak SmartWire PCM

AcydDrop

While this doesn't specifically apply to off-road gear (since these things can be used anywhere), this was a forum that looked like it was the place to ask this sort of question... Sorry if it's not.

We'll be purchasing a 2018 or 2019 Jeep JLU, and have been going over our usual list of Jeep upgrades. One of those always includes wiring for all the new bits and bobs we put on the Jeep (lights, etc and etc). In our present 2017 we had a RacePak Street Smartwire Power Control Module on hand and used that. They're easy to wire a whole lot of stuff very quickly, and neatly. That said The RacePak thing is spendy and I've been looking at the offerings over at sPod. Specifically their Bantam w/ Touch Screen product. It's still spending but it's less than 1/2 the cost of the RacePak unit and it appears you can chain them up and really build a nice system with it.

My question is does anyone have any personal experience with sPod that can let me know if they're any good? I like the apparent flexibility and that I don't need to run a million cables through the firewall and how these sorts of devices keep it simple and and neat.

Thanks In advance!
-- Stephen (the Mr.)

WJCO

Meme King
While this doesn't specifically apply to off-road gear (since these things can be used anywhere), this was a forum that looked like it was the place to ask this sort of question... Sorry if it's not.

We'll be purchasing a 2018 or 2019 Jeep JLU, and have been going over our usual list of Jeep upgrades. One of those always includes wiring for all the new bits and bobs we put on the Jeep (lights, etc and etc). In our present 2017 we had a RacePak Street Smartwire Power Control Module on hand and used that. They're easy to wire a whole lot of stuff very quickly, and neatly. That said The RacePak thing is spendy and I've been looking at the offerings over at sPod. Specifically their Bantam w/ Touch Screen product. It's still spending but it's less than 1/2 the cost of the RacePak unit and it appears you can chain them up and really build a nice system with it.

My question is does anyone have any personal experience with sPod that can let me know if they're any good? I like the apparent flexibility and that I don't need to run a million cables through the firewall and how these sorts of devices keep it simple and and neat.

Thanks In advance!
-- Stephen (the Mr.)

Short answer: Spod sucks hairy, sweaty donkey balls.

Long answer: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/15125-sPOD-Honesty-Integrity-and-the-Lack-Thereof

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The Smartwire system is amazing and so easy to set up but way overkill for adding accessories to a Jeep. If you are building a custom all standalone Jeep project then I'd say do it all day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

AcydDrop

Short answer: Spod sucks hairy, sweaty donkey balls.

Long answer: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/15125-sPOD-Honesty-Integrity-and-the-Lack-Thereof

Whoa damn, I stepped in it with the sPOD question, I guess I'll just stick with my tried and true RacePak stuff. I had no idea the owner of sPOD was such a douche or I would never have asked my question. Thanks for the heads up (of course I probably should of just searched before posting, that's my bad). Just wow.

-- Stephen

AcydDrop

The Smartwire system is amazing and so easy to set up but way overkill for adding accessories to a Jeep. If you are building a custom all standalone Jeep project then I'd say do it all day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

After reading the debacle Eddie had with sPOD I'm just going to stick with RacePak, plus it integrates with VNET and you can do some useful automation with it. Thanks. I guess I should learn the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it". :thumb:

WiscoHR

How many accessories are you planning to add? You could always just order your JLU with the tow package which includes the aux switches. Then you have 4 prewired switches all ready to go without having to install anything.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AcydDrop

Switchpros are excellent, easy to install, have super customer support and are a WAL vendor!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

They look really simple to install, and not especially complex which is good too (old engineering thing KISS). I'll definitely look into these.

Top Bottom