Upgrading to 35s

ElDunas

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum, new to Wranglers in general. I have a 2011 Jk Unlimited Sport with 33s on no lift. I wanted to upgrade to 35s. My question is, what upgrades do I need to make before I can put on the 35s. I’ve heard that I have to lift it, also heard I need new differentials, I was told I need to re-gear. Was just looking for someone with a bit more knowledge to put me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Stotch

Caught the Bug
What are you wanting to do with it? Daily driver? Trail rides? Rock Crawling? Is it an auto or manual?

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum, new to Wranglers in general. I have a 2011 Jk Unlimited Sport with 33s on no lift. I wanted to upgrade to 35s. My question is, what upgrades do I need to make before I can put on the 35s. I’ve heard that I have to lift it, also heard I need new differentials, I was told I need to re-gear. Was just looking for someone with a bit more knowledge to put me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Welcome. I’m no pro by any means but you could probably get away with a leveling kit from EVO or 2” sport from Rancho to fit 35s. I’d suggest a re-gear, especially being that you have the 3.8. I’d also suggest getting C gussets. Really it all depends on what type of wheeling you do and what your future plans are.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
If the stock wheels are still on the jeep you'll need to address the backspacing, either new wheels or quality spacers.

GTJeeper

Welcome to the forum, I currently have 35’s on my jk. I have the same engine as you with auto and the factory 3.73 gears, as well as the Dana 30 up front. It’s definitely not quick, but it’s a Jeep I don’t expect speed. It does alright on the highways and I still get decent mpg because of that. I’ve done some mild to moderate wheeling without issue but I do plan to truss and gusset the front for extra strength. My point is you don’t necessarily need to regear, it is a good option though.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
It will be my daily and I’ll do light trailing nothing serious. It’s an auto.

With the 3.8L auto and 3.73 axles, 35s will make accelerating a chore. It would still be drivable though. Re-gearing isn't cheap though, so if you aren't wheeling a lot it probably isn't worth the investment. If you just put them on there with nothing else done, you'll probably tear up your fenders with the tires. You could get a small budget boost and/or trim your fenders and you'd be OK. The C gussets would again be recommended, but you might be OK without. If you hit a big bump in the trail or a pot hole in the road those bigger tires may cause something to bend.

If this is going to mainly be on the road and light trails, I'd get a budget boost ($200-ish) and gussets ($60 + labor) and call it good.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Almost forgot, you may also have clearance problems when turning if you put them on stock wheels.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Pretty much what everyone said lol I would suggest a minimum of a 2 inch lift and wheels with 4.5-4 BS or quality spacers.

If you go with a lift more than 3.5-4 inches, you’ll have to address driveshaft replacement just as a heads up.

Top Bottom