Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing vacuum actuator

Removing vacuum actuator

My front axle acuator for 4wd seems to be locked in even in 2wd if I remove the actuator does anyone knows if it will leak ?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just my opinion, remove your front driveshaft until you figure this out. Your mpg will take a crap

I appreciate the help yeah itís sound no matter what I put the transfer which is the problem

Have you checked the switch? I had to replace one on my Wagoneer once.

I havenít seen a switch maybe thatís what the problem is where is yours at ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz89YJ View Post
    I havenít seen a switch maybe thatís what the problem is where is yours at ?

Mine was the actual vacuum switch on the center console that actuated 4wd. I guess I'm not sure how it's set up on a yj.

Fresh Catch
    Did you figure this out? I had a 90 YJ and that system is vacuum actuated by shifting into 4x4 if I remember correctly there are 4 vacuum lines that run under your Jeep red/yellow/blue/green goin to transfer case it’s been a while and black for the 4x4 lite Anyway is your 4x4 lite on you dash on? Or have you raised you jeep to verify the axle is locked? The reason I ask is the 4x4 light can be on and the axle not locked. It’s common for the vacuum system to leak and not lock but I guess if your lines are crossed you could always be locked or just indicating. There is a mod that you can do that uses a cable system to engage the 4x4 manually if your vacuum system is bad..that being said and if memory serves me right it’s not dry there and you can’t pull it without fear of fluid loss. The common problem is the diaphram that actuates the lock sleeve dry rots and fails . I don’t have the service manual for that Jeep anymore I gave it to the new owner for his reference. Great video on YouTube that explains how it all works Hope this helps

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Last edited by Shadowfire; 09-17-2018 at 01:57 AM.
    IF aint broke fix it until it is or you are!

Fresh Catch

Edit

Had to correct some mistakes but I think thatís correct now

Thank you for your help no the light doesnít come on at all no matter where I put the transfer case in Iím thinking my whole system is just bad.

Fresh Catch
    I think the actuator on the axle has 4 vacuum lines the black one turns the light on or off and the 2 yellow and a green you can disconnect those and see if any of them have vacuum same at the transfer case Red is the supply Yellow and green are the actuator on off blue is simple a vent these are easily accessible under your Jeep my Jeep was carbed and my lines ran down the passenger side with A T @ the firewall across to the carb follow them from the Xfer case up they are in a protective sleeve fuel injection Jeeps may be different.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast