Re-gear is inevitable

WillyRockIt

Been a while since I posted but I hope to get some good advice. Just changed my diff fluids again and more spider gear pieces a plenty. Since I tow occasionally and plan on 37’s I might as well re-gear from my stock 3:73’s. Also thinking lockers while I’m at it depending on cost.
Off hand I’m thinking 4:88’s and E Lockers.
I have a 44 rear and 30 front. If I just re-gear
and wait on the lockers will I still have to replace the bad spider gears?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
If you really think the locker is necessary, do it at the same time. I would not recommend locking the front though with a Dana 30. You can get a loaded carrier with spider gears for about 100 bucks I think and just do that for the front.

Since you're considering 37s, the Dynatrac Trail Leader package is a really good option.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Like WJCO said, your front should be upgraded To run 37s. Search the forum, there has been slot of discussions about that recently. As far as gear ratio, I am very happy with my 4:88s and 37s. Mine is a 15’ with the 3.6. I drive it every day and it’s great on the road and especially the trail.

MDK210

I have a Willy’s as well and like the others said I wouldn’t do a locker up front until you upgrade the axle. Shops in my area want about $2K w/install to re-gear and if I decide to do that before a front axle upgrade I would either keep an open diff or TrueTrac LSD in the front D30. IMO it’s better to save the re-gear cash and run a bigger front axle not to mention be honest with yourself when it comes to lockers...do you need them or simply want them? Granted I’m not “hardcore” and yes lockers would make certain things easier but they aren’t chump change and my current setup gets me where I want to go for now. When my time comes I’ll be looking into something more convenient, I don’t want to have a separate air compressor for lockers so maybe I’ll run TrueTrac’s front/rear or some type of E-Locker’ish setup.

Also, I live at high altitude and while running a lightweight 37 is doable on 3.73’s I personally wouldn’t run a 37 simply cause it’s on a D30. The lightest 37 is the BFG K02 weighing in at 69lbs but it’s also one of the smallest diameter 37’s. I just recently went from running a 67lb 35” tire to a 61lb 35” tire and there is a noticeable difference for sure. Braking and acceleration are improved but mostly the braking. I’m sure for those 2 weeks running those 67lb tires my D30 was like WTF is this ha. Those weight differences might not sound like a lot but add 5lb+ to each of your arms year round and it would suck. Difference is your body would adapt but the Jeep will just slowly eat itself.

Last edited:

WillyRockIt

If you really think the locker is necessary, do it at the same time. I would not recommend locking the front though with a Dana 30. You can get a loaded carrier with spider gears for about 100 bucks I think and just do that for the front.

Since you're considering 37s, the Dynatrac Trail Leader package is a really good option.

I haven’t needed lockers so far but I’m sure they’d be useful at some point. My thinking is instead of a trac-loc rebuild kit plus gears, might as well throw in a locker and eliminate the clutch packs and spider gears all together?

I am a little leery of locking the D30 as well. Just looking for opinions on that too. Also a $6k plus Dyna would be sick but way out of reach right now.

WillyRockIt

Like WJCO said, your front should be upgraded To run 37s. Search the forum, there has been slot of discussions about that recently. As far as gear ratio, I am very happy with my 4:88s and 37s. Mine is a 15’ with the 3.6. I drive it every day and it’s great on the road and especially the trail.

Agreed on the need to upgrade. Just looking ahead and not sure a new axle is in the cards anytime soon. Glad the 4:88 are working for you. Mine is a daily driver as well.

WJCO

Meme King
I haven’t needed lockers so far but I’m sure they’d be useful at some point. My thinking is instead of a trac-loc rebuild kit plus gears, might as well throw in a locker and eliminate the clutch packs and spider gears all together?

I am a little leery of locking the D30 as well. Just looking for opinions on that too. Also a $6k plus Dyna would be sick but way out of reach right now.

37s on a D30 is really a stretch no matter how you look at it, especially with a locker. So if you are really set on 37s, do it right. At the same time, it would suck to spend the money regearing twice, so really think this through.

WillyRockIt

I have a Willy’s as well and like the others said I wouldn’t do a locker up front until you upgrade the axle. Shops in my area want about $2K w/install to re-gear and if I decide to do that before a front axle upgrade I would either keep an open diff or TrueTrac LSD in the front D30. IMO it’s better to save the re-gear cash and run a bigger front axle not to mention be honest with yourself when it comes to lockers...do you need them or simply want them? Granted I’m not “hardcore” and yes lockers would make certain things easier but they aren’t chump change and my current setup gets me where I want to go for now. When my time comes I’ll be looking into something more convenient, I don’t want to have a separate air compressor for lockers so maybe I’ll run TrueTrac’s front/rear or some type of E-Locker’ish setup.

Also, I live at high altitude and while running a lightweight 37 is doable on 3.73’s I personally wouldn’t run a 37 simply cause it’s on a D30. The lightest 37 is the BFG K02 weighing in at 69lbs but it’s also one of the smallest diameter 37’s. I just recently went from running a 67lb 35” tire to a 61lb 35” tire and there is a noticeable difference for sure. Braking and acceleration are improved but mostly the braking. I’m sure for those 2 weeks running those 67lb tires my D30 was like WTF is this ha. Those weight differences might not sound like a lot but add 5lb+ to each of your arms year round and it would suck. Difference is your body would adapt but the Jeep will just slowly eat itself.

Hadn’t thought about a LSD for the front. Not a bad idea. The trac-loc in the rear has got me where I want to go but thinking a locker might be more reliable with new gears as opposed to the spider gears? My spider gears are pretty much trashed.

Thanks for your input on the 37’s too. The D30 is not the ideal setup for a tire that big. Maybe without the locker I could make it last a while. I’ll stay on my 35’s for a while I’m sure. Need to pay it off before I can throw axle money at it. Got another year or so.

WillyRockIt

37s on a D30 is really a stretch no matter how you look at it, especially with a locker. So if you are really set on 37s, do it right. At the same time, it would suck to spend the money regearing twice, so really think this through.

Good point. $300 rebuild kit or a full re-gear and a locker? Does seem to be a no brainer after saying it out loud and looking at cost. Might just make the repair on the rear and get through the next trip. Heading to Moab end of next month. This setup got me thru the Rubicon so I bet I’ll be ok for now.

Thanks all for the input. Sometimes we just need a little clarity.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
You could probably find a used dana 44 carrier for pretty cheap. I've got one sitting in the shop right now I'd give you. Shipping may be a little much though.

Don't waste your money on locking the d30, thats just a ticking time bomb, especially on 37s. Leave it open and it should last if you don't wheel the rocks. Regear and if you really want to have a locked front end, look for a rubi take off and have it regeared or save up for an aftermarket 44.

WillyRockIt

Decided to stick with 35’s and not adding lockers. Getting the spider gears replaced and going with 4:56’s. I’ll add lockers and 37’s once I’m ready to ditch the 30. Thanks all for the advice.

WillyRockIt

Was thinking that may be too tall for 35’s. I’m planning on 37’s some day but not until I replace the D30. What’s your RPM’s like on the fwy? Right now I’m at 2500 doing 75 with 3:73’s. I have 35” KM2’s.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Was thinking that may be too tall for 35’s. I’m planning on 37’s some day but not until I replace the D30. What’s your RPM’s like on the fwy? Right now I’m at 2500 doing 75 with 3:73’s. I have 35” KM2’s.

4.88 is great for 35s in my opinion. I just went from 3.73 to that and it is just right. RPM is a bit under 3000 at around 75 on the highway. I have a 3.8 manual. wjtstudios has 4.88 automatic with a 3.6 on 37s and loves them as far as I know.

Nespoli1

4.88 is great for 35s in my opinion. I just went from 3.73 to that and it is just right. RPM is a bit under 3000 at around 75 on the highway. I have a 3.8 manual. wjtstudios has 4.88 automatic with a 3.6 on 37s and loves them as far as I know.

I did the same thing. I am doing 37s soon but even if I wasn’t I would be perfectly fine keeping the 488 on 35. At 70 I am sitting between 2850-3000

Top Bottom