Windrock Run November 16-18

wjtstudios

Hooked
I am putting together a quick weekend run to Windrock ORV in Tennessee Arriving November 16 in the afternoon, and hitting the trails all day on Saturday the 17th, returning back home on Sunday morning the 18th. There are some amazing trails there up into the mountains and hopefully we will hit close to or just past the peak fall colors, for those of us that enjoy that kind of thing. I have not been there so anyone that has, I'd love to hear which trails are worth checking out. There are also three "Jeep Badge of Honor" trails there if you collect those.

Recommended Gear:

CB Radio (preferably GMRS, but I will have both a CB and GMRS)

Recovery Gear

Food and drinks

appropriate gear for the weather

Lodging:

There are a number of hotels in Oakridge about 12 minutes away (I will probably be staying in one of them.)

There is a camp ground there at Windrock Park

Please post up the following if you are interested in joining us:

1) your jeeps info
2) your experience level
3) where you are staying

So far we tentatively have the following:

1) wjtstudios (Bill) JKUR
2) JimR JKUR
3)
4)JKBrick
5)19YJ94
6)nbunga
7)curtis
8)Coop
9)Redknight15
10)whytiptoe
11)Jeep_Pride
12)
13)
14)
15)
16)

The maybe list:
1) scrambler
2) Trainwreck618
3) chris105
4) kep01
5)

Last edited:

Scrambler

I may be able to make this depending on my schedule. Put me down as a maybe. We have ridden there multiple times, but on ATV’s and I was a member of the Windrock ATV club years ago. Life got busy and we sold all the toys, except for the Jeep. I’ll let you know closer to time

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Coop

Caught the Bug
Windrock is my favorite eastern off road park, hands down. Folks with 37s and a winch can do 15, 16 (badge of honor trail) and 17. 15 is approaching a double black status as it digs out in the rocks but it is short and a blast. 16 is long and can be time consuming as the last three climbs are deeply rutted. The by-passes are just as bad. Depending on wetness, these can be winchout only. 17 is shorter but heavily rutted. 35s can make it but you will be dragging diffs. It is a lot of fun though. 21 is about 3 miles of switchbacks which can be very trying. Full of challenges the whole way; I think 37s minimum. 22 is more relaxing and stock tires can make it with care. The 40’s trails can be a challenge in dry weather but in wet weather 41 can give you trouble about half way at a washout.
All trails on the “dark” side in winter (north and northwest) can be iced over. See ice on the dark side, stop and go back. Ice and snow everywhere else is ok.
They have a good map and trails are well marked if you look.
You will love this place! Great cabins and camp sites year round. Good bath/showers and toilets for campers. Great staff; they appear out of nowhere! Very scenic for those not prepared for heavy climbing. I have a trip the last week of December or I would join you all. May still do that if things work out. You could list me as a maybe if that’s ok.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Windrock is my favorite eastern off road park, hands down. Folks with 37s and a winch can do 15, 16 (badge of honor trail) and 17. 15 is approaching a double black status as it digs out in the rocks but it is short and a blast. 16 is long and can be time consuming as the last three climbs are deeply rutted. The by-passes are just as bad. Depending on wetness, these can be winchout only. 17 is shorter but heavily rutted. 35s can make it but you will be dragging diffs. It is a lot of fun though. 21 is about 3 miles of switchbacks which can be very trying. Full of challenges the whole way; I think 37s minimum. 22 is more relaxing and stock tires can make it with care. The 40’s trails can be a challenge in dry weather but in wet weather 41 can give you trouble about half way at a washout.
All trails on the “dark” side in winter (north and northwest) can be iced over. See ice on the dark side, stop and go back. Ice and snow everywhere else is ok.
They have a good map and trails are well marked if you look.
You will love this place! Great cabins and camp sites year round. Good bath/showers and toilets for campers. Great staff; they appear out of nowhere! Very scenic for those not prepared for heavy climbing. I have a trip the last week of December or I would join you all. May still do that if things work out. You could list me as a maybe if that’s ok.

You got it! I’d love you to join us and show us around. At the very least, I’ll pick your brain a bit more as we get closer to put together a route for the run if you don’t mind. Thank you for all that info!

nbunga

Caught the Bug
I think you can count me in for this one! I pretty sure they have rental cabins along the road to the entrance. Maybe we could all crash in one.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I think you can count me in for this one! I pretty sure they have rental cabins along the road to the entrance. Maybe we could all crash in one.

I can’t wait to see you wheel the shit out of your 2 door there!!

For sure, I was just looking at the cabins too. I think that’s the way to go.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I can’t wait to see you wheel the shit out of your 2 door there!!

For sure, I was just looking at the cabins too. I think that’s the way to go.

The big cabins are great! Full kitchen, 8 bunk beds, 2 full bath rooms, living room and deck. Fire pit and charcoal grill out side. Very nice and kept in good shape. They provide bed linens and towels but you may run out of dry towels. Small cabins are just as nice but have 1/2 the space and accommodations. Plenty of room for trailers. It’s nice not to have to hook up and air up over the few days you are there.
There is a huge Kroger’s on the way out of town so you can stock up on food before you head out to camp, but they have some great steak places in town. Chrysler Jeep dealer in town too for misc., plus a Tractor Supply for any jacks or other equipment.

Top Bottom