Passenger Side Front King 2.5 Keeps Rotating

jesse3638

Hooked
As some of you know I recently installed King 2.5's on my JK. The problem I'm having is the passenger side front shock body keeps rotating after a short period of driving causing the reservoir to contact the upper coil bucket. When installing these I also took Mel's advice and installed lower shock relocation brackets which move the shock shaft to the outboard side of the factory mount. I'm not sure of this is causing this rotation. My initial thoughts were to trim or even remove the crush sleeve installed on the upper shock mount which slides into the center of the rubber bushings. This would allow me to tighten the upper nut more. Per the directions there should be some buldge in the upper bushings when tightening, but with this crush sleeve I'm not getting much before the nut bottoms out. Anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mine do the same.

Also looking for suggestions. Mine were pretty bad. They now have gouges from rubbing on the lip of the coil buckets.

https://youtu.be/z8Ve0lnALxc
They arnt as bad as this anymore but still rotate. I have the classic ghetto fix ;cable tie keeping it from rotating.

jesse3638

Hooked
Mine do the same.

Also looking for suggestions. Mine were pretty bad. They now have gouges from rubbing on the lip of the coil buckets.

https://youtu.be/z8Ve0lnALxc
They arnt as bad as this anymore but still rotate. I have the classic ghetto fix ;cable tie keeping it from rotating.
Just did a shake down back way up to big bear yesterday and there is a noticeable mark on it. To top it off the latch on my LoD carrier broke completely and my tire carrier swung open. Fortunately I'm running 35's and my tail light and fender was spared. Couldn't help but haul ass because it smoothed out the trail...haha. Yeah my coworker suggest using tie wire from the 90 going to the resi and drilling a small hole in the tower to tie it off to. I think I'm going to pull the crush sleeve and tighten it down and see what happens. It's a PIA to get that nut off, but least I'm not trying to get a hex key in there to hold it from spinning. Hopefully there is enough room to slide everything out with out having to lower the shock.

On the bright side my wife was very happy with how the jeep now feels. Doesn't bottom out so easy any more. We'll see what happens when I put the 4" plush rides in.

jdofmemi

My Kings do the same. I don't know if they have the sleeve you mentioned. If so, I may try the same thing.
The hose to the reservoir is getting ate up on the fender liner.

MericaMade

Same boat here. Drives me nuts. I am contently checking my shock to make sure they are where they should be. I ran across one guy who said he ran a zip tie around the resi to the frame but he did not have a picture for me to see.

Ddays

Hooked
Odd, I'm not having this issue with mine. I do not have the lower relocation bracket and I used the crush sleeve. :thinking:

wjtstudios

Hooked
Same issue, passenger side only. A zip tie of the back side of the reservoir around the hose solved the problem. You can’t see it. It’s been that way for more than a year with no damage to the hose.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Mine don't move either. I would do the zip tie trick. I did have to remove one of the front axle vent hose clips, it was sawing through the hose. :eek:

jesse3638

Hooked
Glad it's not just me...haha. Seems to be like the birds and the bees. People know about it but don't really want to talk about it..:wink:

Why not glue some door trim or something on the spring perch?

View attachment 309272

I was thinking of doing something similar but with fuel line. Door trim would be easier though and I think I still have some from when I cut my fenders. Thanks for the idea. I'll do this if I can't get it to stop rotating. It's going to drive me nuts..haha.

jesse3638

Hooked
I don’t recall a crush sleeve on mine, but they rotated too. I just tighten up the nut on top and it solved the problem.

That's what I was thinking would get them to stop. I'll pull the crush sleeve so I can tighten them more. As they are now the nut is bottomed out against the sleeve.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I ditched the crush sleeve. I couldn’t get the rubber bushings to be tight and I figured I was going to strip the bolt or the shaft. Mine do not move although I can twist the body if I try.

jesse3638

Hooked
I ditched the crush sleeve. I couldn’t get the rubber bushings to be tight and I figured I was going to strip the bolt or the shaft. Mine do not move although I can twist the body if I try.

That was my thought. My old bilsteins had a smaller shaft and no crush sleeve.

jesse3638

Hooked
Well I took about 30 mins this morning and removed the crush sleeves from the upper bushings. Tightened the top nut until the bushings began to bulge. If I had to guess maybe an extra 1-2 turns of the nut compared to when it had the sleeve installed. I took my dirt trail option to work and the shock only rotated maybe a 1/2-1" from where I had it positioned before I left. Last time on this same route it had rotated all the way until it contacted the coil bucket. So far so good and think I may have solved the problem. I may shorten the crush sleeves by about 1/4" and reinstall but I've been known to get lazy..haha. Hope this helps.

jesse3638

Hooked
I need a dirt trail option to my office. Glad you got it to stay straighter.

Haha, well actually I could make my normal 8-10 min commute close to an hour if I wanted to stay on all dirt and play on my way to work. Similar to Eddie I have a trail head at the end of my street. It is convenient for checking new installs.

Top Bottom