2012+ JKU Rear Seat Removal

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Howdy,

My wife and I have been considering stowage options for our upcoming 2 week trip in Stitch, a '15 JKU Rubicon. For this trip, I'm considering simply removing the rear seat altogether.

There are some pre-12 videos of folks removing seats. Haven't seen anything for '12 to 18 JKUs.

Does anyone have a picture of their JKU minus the rear seat?

Thanks in advance,

JT...

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Howdy,

My wife and I have been considering stowage options for our upcoming 2 week trip in Stitch, a '15 JKU Rubicon. For this trip, I'm considering simply removing the rear seat altogether.

There are some pre-12 videos of folks removing seats. Haven't seen anything for '12 to 18 JKUs.

Does anyone have a picture of their JKU minus the rear seat?

Thanks in advance,

JT...

Best I can do for ya.

IMG_2862.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Not one damn pic but I remove mine every time I go on a trip. All of my bags fit nicely in the foot well recesses. I re-install the seat mount bolts but with small d-rings attached to them that I picked up at Tractor Supply that let me strap the bags down really securely. That leaves the rear cargo area completely open for other things. Sometimes I'll leave them out for months at a time.

dytrdr5

Image1535500479.009987.jpg Image1535500494.889778.jpg

Hope these help, I take my seats out for the extra storage space during trips. Excuse the mess, I also removed the main carpet but have kept the small interior mats that I have double sided velcroed to the floor. That makes it easier to clean up after the interior gets wet but still feels comfortable day to day

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

mcdesigner

Not the best pictures without the seats but made a floor for a flat surface for my dog and to secure a cooler when doing the Rubicon

Attachments

• AFA67C65-4670-4527-815E-806D851267ED.jpg
    AFA67C65-4670-4527-815E-806D851267ED.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 261
  • CE32077B-91BE-4225-953D-47E2EE03C143.jpg
    CE32077B-91BE-4225-953D-47E2EE03C143.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 259
  • 1B8E48FB-2745-4282-AF8E-9FB0688E0D36.jpg
    1B8E48FB-2745-4282-AF8E-9FB0688E0D36.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 271

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Howdy,

I'd like to thank you for your inputs. Been buried last few days, just now getting back to this. Turns out some of your comments came even as I was tackling the issue.

Venture 4wd, a guy I follow on Youtube installed a Goose Gear Plate system and on the video he removes the seats as part of the process. Hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN_jAPhrX9I

Yep, this is basically what my experience was like. Fortunately I had an impact wrench. Those were 8 long stiff bolts to pull (plus 2 easy nuts). I think it was the hardest I've worked the impact wrench and compressor in a very long time. Took a lot of air:).

Hope these help, I take my seats out for the extra storage space during trips. Excuse the mess, I also removed the main carpet but have kept the small interior mats that I have double sided velcroed to the floor. That makes it easier to clean up after the interior gets wet but still feels comfortable day to day

I've left the carpet in. More attractive cosmetically, but primarily to help with road noise. Having taken most of your carpet out, has road noise become a headache for you?

Not the best pictures without the seats but made a floor for a flat surface for my dog and to secure a cooler when doing the Rubicon

I'm out of time to do that for this trip. However I'm going to eyeball this a bit closer. Being able to carry Tigger around (and now Freyja, too) is a key item. I don't need the back row as much as I need big flat space when carrying her with me :). One must be able to Jeep with their dogs. :)

So, yes, I did just simply go ahead and pluck the seats. Nice, easy job.
For those that choose to remove their own seat, start with the bottom. That let's you just flip up the base so you can get to the bolts in the middle of the brackets. 18mm tool required.

IMG_1993a.jpg
IMG_1992a.jpg
IMG_1991a.jpg

Top Bottom