Gas line leak solved

wjtstudios

Hooked
After Friday’s festivities of seeing how much gas I can pump into my tank skid plate from a blown fuel line before I realize what is going on, the problem has been fixed. This 5 cent plastic clip IMG_9457.jpg
Let loose and a joint between the tank and block. IMG_9456.jpg
Had I dropped the tank myself when I had the Long Arm kit installed, I would have know right where to go. I still don’t know if if the shop did not get things back together correctly or if it just was a total fluke. The old clip had just backed it self out at that connection. When I swapped the old clip for the new, the old one was almost rubbery in feeling compared to new one that was ridged hard plastic.

Has anyone had a similar failure? Is there anything I can do to preempt that from happening again?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rogerk93

Good thing it was a cheap fix, when my girlfriend did long arms we dropped her gas tank and those things are super easy to break so I’m not surprised the shop broke it but they should have replaced it. I bought a packet of those and changed them out.

WJCO

Meme King
I've never seen one of those clips fail on their own. Usually it's from someone not putting them back together correctly. I have had them break on me during removal because they're old and brittle, but never seen one just fail by itself.

wjtstudios

Hooked
That’s what I’m assuming as well. At least I know now and now have a spare to keep in the Jeep. I’m still surprised it took from March to now to fail. If that’s when it was damaged.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Wow. What a set of problems from a $1.25 piece of plastic. Hey at least it was something simple and an easy fix.

Now I know not to keep cranking the engine until I do a solid inspection of the under carriage and look floor any sign of a fuel leak. In hind sight, I smelled gas fumes, but had assumed it was from flooding the engine, not that.

jesse3638

Hooked
Familiar with that clip. I broke mine when installing my LA kit. I called the dealership to get a new one and they said I'd have to but the whole fuel line. I'll have to go get one. I put the two pieces back in and wrapped it with electrical tape. It's been 6 years and no issues but I should give it a check. Where did you buy yours from?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
Familiar with that clip. I broke mine when installing my LA kit. I called the dealership to get a new one and they said I'd have to but the whole fuel line. I'll have to go get one. I put the two pieces back in and wrapped it with electrical tape. It's been 6 years and no issues but I should give it a check. Where did you buy yours from?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

The guys at the shop that did my LA kit had one (actually 2). When I was there talking to them about it we went into his parts draw and grabbed two. One to replace and a spare.

Top Bottom