VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - Gravel Caught Between the JL Wrangler Fender and Body FIX

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As much as Cindy and I love the way the all new Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon Fenders look, we're completely dumbfounded by the fact that they have these huge gravel catching gaps between them and the body. I mean, of all the models made, the Rubicon is the one that’ll most likely see playtime off road and someone at Jeep had to of known that this was going to be a problem. Of course, what's even more frustrating is that it doesn’t take much to fix this problem and automotive manufacturers have been doing it for almost a century now. What these fenders need, is some welting.

After being annoyed to no end having to phish out small rocks, gravel and coarse sand every time we went off-roading, I did some research and found a rubber seal that should work well as a welt. made out of the same material that you find along the edges of your doors, it's weather proof, durable, won't effect your paint and most importantly, it's cheap. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, I’ll show you just how easy it is to install and how you can fix this annoying rocks in the fender problem, once and for all.

What You'll Need
25 Feet - Trim-Lok Rubber Tubing Seal .276” Outside Diameter
https://amzn.to/2PFIIHt

Plastic Trim Tool Set
https://amzn.to/2BP1WHP

Please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

TrailHunter

Hooked
The beginning of the video was funny... (was I the only one laughing?).... Perfect Fix! I thought for sure you would have to get a welt with a "leg" that got sandwiched between the fender & body.... this is much simpler.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The beginning of the video was funny... (was I the only one laughing?).... Perfect Fix! I thought for sure you would have to get a welt with a "leg" that got sandwiched between the fender & body.... this is much simpler.

LOL!! Glad you found the video humorous. :D

I had looked far and near for a welt that would work best and had considered using one with a leg but found that most were a bit big for my needs. This stuff fit the gap just right. :yup:

jeeeep

Hooked
I hate it when rocks get caught in the crack...usually have to pull over and walk it off :cheesy:

Great idea and didn't have to remove the fenders :thumb:

98XJ06LJ

Great job on resolving what is a ridiculous oversight on Jeeps part. Still can't believe that after the two years or so that they spent on development of the JL that someone didn't notice that. Must have been the top secret covers they had on them when they drove them off-road that kept the rocks out. Maybe Jeep should offer a free set of padded covers with every new JL sold. 😂🤣

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I hate it when rocks get caught in the crack...usually have to pull over and walk it off :cheesy:

Great idea and didn't have to remove the fenders :thumb:

:cheesy:

I always try to find easy solutions :cool:

Eddie, you must have bought the last 25' roll.

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock

LOL!! There have been a few thousand people who've watched the video in just the first hour of releasing it. I think everyone tried to buy it all at once. :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great job on resolving what is a ridiculous oversight on Jeeps part. Still can't believe that after the two years or so that they spent on development of the JL that someone didn't notice that. Must have been the top secret covers they had on them when they drove them off-road that kept the rocks out. Maybe Jeep should offer a free set of padded covers with every new JL sold. 😂🤣

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

LOL!! It really is such a dumb thing that got overlooked for sure.

tomines

Thanks for providing such a simple solution. Amazon is out of stock but I found more on grainger.com. See the following link

Chris1015

Wow nice work..I thought I was resigned to my fate of those damn little pebbles forever to ride free wherever I roam. 🤡

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for providing such a simple solution. Amazon is out of stock but I found more on grainger.com. See the following link

Welcome to WAYALIFE. While I'm glad that you found a different source, I hope you don't mind that I removed your link and can be understanding of the fact that purchases made though the Amazon link I provided helps support this forum.

Wow nice work..I thought I was resigned to my fate of those damn little pebbles forever to ride free wherever I roam. 🤡

Glad that I could be of help :cool:

Very nice, simple easy fix. Can hardly notice it either

longarmwj

Dammit Eddie, don't ya know those areas were specifically designed to collect rocks and vegetation to later replant in the environment!? How do you think Jeep is meeting current environmental guidelines?

Now thanks to your easy, smart, cheap, and resourceful technique you have undone years and millions of dollars of FCAs hard work :naw::doh::cheesy:

Slimebones

Good call Eddie. Those pebbles would eventually wear through the paint from vibration and rust would follow. And I hate rust!

jesse3638

Hooked
Glad you found a pretty simple solution.

Side note, I can't wait to hear the comments on the music. Was the "anti-rock" music coincidental or on purpose considering this fix was anti-rock?...haha

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dammit Eddie, don't ya know those areas were specifically designed to collect rocks and vegetation to later replant in the environment!? How do you think Jeep is meeting current environmental guidelines?

Now thanks to your easy, smart, cheap, and resourceful technique you have undone years and millions of dollars of FCAs hard work :naw::doh::cheesy:

:cheesy: Too funny :D

Good call Eddie. Those pebbles would eventually wear through the paint from vibration and rust would follow. And I hate rust!

That's what I was afraid of and what I wanted to prevent.

Glad you found a pretty simple solution.

Side note, I can't wait to hear the comments on the music. Was the "anti-rock" music coincidental or on purpose considering this fix was anti-rock?...haha

:cheesy: OMG, you're killing me :cheesy:

Mozarkid

LOL, everything you linked is sold out!
You broke Amazon!
But there are other options...
there's a decent 11 piece nylon tool set (holds up better than the other plastics) & there is a solid core version of the rubber tube. Ordered that and it's here now - have to wait for the weekend to see how well it stays in place.
Enjoying your ideas, Eddie!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Surprised that they would let that go from factory. Looks better to me with the welting installed in there than a large gap like it had.

Top Bottom