Two way radios?

My brother and I have CB radios in our jeeps and on our last camping trip it became clear that the CBs just don't have the range or clarity that we needed, so I am wondering what you guys and gals are using?

I have started looking at UHF/VHF and some Ham stuff, but am wondering what works best in your alls opinions and where you have the unit and antenas mounted.

Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're not getting good range and clarity out of your CB radio, it's because you don't have the antenna tuned, in a good location or on a good ground. If setup right, your CB should perform well.

That being said, race radios are nice to have as they are a lot easier to get setup. They have good range and sound clear but if there's one thing I really hate about them is that you can't dial out the static. You either have nothing coming through or get these massive static blasts that are annoying as hell. On a good CB radio, this is something you can adjust with the RF gain and if you know how to use it, it'll help you to hear people from even further away.

Ham is a good way to go too but like a race radio, it's only good to have if everyone has one too. Price is another consideration.

I have tuned the altenas with my SWR meter and even had a CD radio shop take a look and they said it was as good as it could get. My brother drives like a demon and would sometimes be about 5-10 miles ahead of me. There is no slowing him down hence the need for better radios.

Also being able to use the repeaters could help if there was a need to call in help.

Brute

Hooked
I have tuned the altenas with my SWR meter and even had a CD radio shop take a look and they said it was as good as it could get. My brother drives like a demon and would sometimes be about 5-10 miles ahead of me. There is no slowing him down hence the need for better radios.

Also being able to use the repeaters could help if there was a need to call in help.

Your problem is not the cb...it's your brother. If you are running a trail together, you should be within sight of each other, especially if one of you has a vehicle issue. Even if equipped with 50 watt radios, you may not be able to talk to each other if the terrain is mountainous or you are in a deep valley...

Your problem is not the cb...it's your brother. If you are running a trail together, you should be within sight of each other, especially if one of you has a vehicle issue. Even if equipped with 50 watt radios, you may not be able to talk to each other if the terrain is mountainous or you are in a deep valley...

This^
IMG_1541.JPG

You need more than the range you’re getting buy satellite phones.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I have a CB radio that I have turned well. But I can only get between one and 2 miles of range. I also have a GMRS Midland 40 W radio and I can get 3 to 5 miles and heavy to without any issue when talking to another 40 W unit or to a hand held. In more open conditions, I know they can go a lot further. The GMRS radios are simple as can be. It’s all plug and play. No RF adjustments needed. They are repeater capable and have 122 privacy channels.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I haven't tried it, but you can get vehicle sized FRS radios with external antenna that should smoke a hand held FRS and a CB.

Something like this: https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt115-micromobile-2-way-radio/

Try out an amateur radio forum, I'm sure the super dorks will help you out. Then report back what works. :thumb:
I am pretty sure that FRS units are limited by law to .5 watts output. Larger antenna might help reception, but shouldn’t do much for transmission. Now, there are units that will transmit on FRS using higher wattage, but they are not supposed to be used. 🤫

zimm

Caught the Bug
The icon for the radio I posted says 15 watts. Besides the FCC won’t be up in the mountains while you’re off-roading.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
I think the license to transmit at higher wattage is for GMRS. Some GMRS frequencies overlap with FRS, I believe.

At this point I’ll shut up before some much more knowledgeable radio geek jumps in and tells me I’m full of shit.

You can communicate with GMRS with a UHF if I’m not mistaken

zimm

Caught the Bug
m8qnbZt.jpg

hmmm.....

wjtstudios

Hooked
I think the license to transmit at higher wattage is for GMRS. Some GMRS frequencies overlap with FRS, I believe.

At this point I’ll shut up before some much more knowledgeable radio geek jumps in and tells me I’m full of shit.

Not a radio geek at all, but you are absolutely correct. GMRS/FRS radios over 5 or 15 Watts requires a license. $75 for 10 years. About 10 minutes on the fed website and it’s done.

Top Bottom