Horn Not working (clock spring, wire harness TIPM replaced)

Stillmacrae

Horn Not working (clock spring, wire harness TIPM replaced) UPDATE/FIXED

So I've seen a lot of these post up and about on different forums but I'm looking for advice. I have a 2018 Rubicon Recon. Problems started probably within the first 3 months of owning the Jeep. I noticed that the Horn would not function, then I noticed that the steering wheel radio buttons would not function (volume, station channel) also the Uconnect buttons would not work, dash menu buttons (speedometer, tire pressure etc switch). The cruise control buttons still work. Jeep went to the dealer, they told me it was the clock spring, they replaced it and driving away I discovered the problem was still not fixed. I took the jeep back and after working on it they told me it was the wiring harness that went to the steering wheel and after replacing it and assuring me everything was working correctly I picked up the jeep, this time tested it before leaving the lot, still didn't work. So on the third time I brought it back they told me I had a bad TIPM unit but that it was on back order and they'd let me know when it came in. About a month later I got a call, they replaced the TIPM unit and again as soon as I got the Jeep I tested the controls and horn (which they assured me were working) and it still was not working. When the problem first started it was intermittent. After the jeep sat a while (overnight) it would not work... but after driving it for a bit the horn and volume switches would start functioning again. The problem has been getting worse though and now it hasn't worked for the past 3 weeks. The guys at the dealer say they are at a loss and don't know what the problem is. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Oh also the horn DOES still function... meaning if you hit the panic button the horn goes off. If you lock the jeep with the key fob the horn will go off, but it doesn't work when pressing the horn.

Last edited:

Stillmacrae

I agree with you on the service department thing, unfortunately this is the only dealership within an hour. Honestly with this one exception the jeep has been great. I really like the Recon and honestly the JL's are quite a bit more pricey. I will say the more I see the JL's the more I like them though. To me this doesn't seam like it should be that hard of a fix. Honestly I bet if I took it to a different service department (non Jeep) They'd probably have it figured out by the afternoon. But I shouldn't have to pay for this.

Stillmacrae

Update

So I talked to the service guy today and he said that basically all of their guys are stumped. They have talked to Chrysler and replaced all the things they were told to replace. He said there is a tech adviser that will be at the dealership on Friday. I guess he's supposed to be really good and usually can figure stuff out when no one else can. He is going to talk to the Tech adviser and call me by noon on Friday and then we'll go from there. I'm half tempted to bring it to a reputable non dealer service department just to have them trouble shoot it, then bring it back to the dealership and say... oh hey, did you guys thing to check this?

PATRIOTKJM

Start the arbitration process for a buyback, there should be a number in the back of your owners manual. Typically at this point the culprit is one of the pins in the wire harness connection points is not seated properly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mine is literally at the dealer right now with the airbag light on and horn problems from the past and it’s the clock spring, or at least that’s what they’re telling me. I was told it’s been a known issue for a while.

kundog331

I have had this same issue for the past several months in my 2012 JKU. I can't wait to hear the final fix, so I know how I should proceed to address it.

Thank You

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Is it just the angle of the steering wheel? Mine plays a up a bit at times unless I turn the steering wheel about 5 degrees then it works fine. Had the clock spring replaced but didn’t change anything. It’s a 2015

jeeeep

Hooked
my horn has never been right from day 1. I would need to press it on the right spot at the right angle to get the damn thing to work.

When I replaced the clock spring I decided to figure out why the horn was so intermittent when I needed it.

I found the wiring used to connect the horn around the ground points(?) in the steering wheel were cut to where they barely reached into the connectors.

I barely touched one of the wires and it fell out, I checked the others and found more with the same issue.

Rather than pay for a new switch connector (only about $32 but I felt it was faulty manufacturing...anyway, another rant lol), I bought some new wiring and rewired it,

Haven't had an issue since and the horn on mine is now louder as well.

Stillmacrae

Update.................. Fixed

So took it back the 4th time. Initially I got a call saying that it was the clock spring and it had a short. I told them that the clock spring was the first thing that was replaced. They said they were going to replace it anyways... When they started to tear into it they discovered the issue was with some wiring that went to the clock-spring but not the clock-spring it's self, nor the wiring harness that they previously replaced. Picked up my jeep today and everything is working as it should be.

I have had this same issue for the past several months in my 2012 JKU. I can't wait to hear the final fix, so I know how I should proceed to address it.

Thank You

Mine was indeed the clock spring and I also have a 2012 JKU. They didn’t even charge me or hit my warranty on it because it’s been such a known problem.

Top Bottom