Let’s see your Fire Extinguisher Mounts

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
I’ve had a fire extinguisher in my jeep for a long time, but never had it secured well. Recently used it (non Jeep related) and now that I am in need of a new extinguisher I figure I should look into a good mount. Preferably somehow on the drivers seat, but open to all options!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I’ve had a fire extinguisher in my jeep for a long time, but never had it secured well. Recently used it (non Jeep related) and now that I am in need of a new extinguisher I figure I should look into a good mount. Preferably somehow on the drivers seat, but open to all options!

I mounted a 5lb on the rear of the cage using the Drake mount which is pretty nice. I wrapped the bar with rubber to keep the mount from wanting to spin during big bumps. When I had the factory bar and covering spinning wasn’t an issue though.

IMG_4165.jpg

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Although mines not near the driver seat it does keep it nice and secure instead of rolling around the back of the Jeep. It's the Poison Spyder mount

Attachments

• IMG_20180424_111203.jpg
    IMG_20180424_111203.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 560

JAGS

Hooked
You can use some existing holes and the plastic mount for a mini extinguisher mounted on the side of the driver seat. I also have one mounted on the drivers side trunk rollbar that I can get to in under a minuted (I have a soft top).

TrailHunter

Hooked
^^^What Jags said.... I Bought both an extinguisher and a separate metal bracket (comes with the cheap plastic one) from home depot. Only had to drill one hole in the bracket and used 2 existing holes in the seat frame. I like this setup because I can have it out and ready in seconds.

IMG_9028.JPG

IMG_9029.JPG

Ddays

Hooked
Mounting the extinguisher in the rear of the Jeep is all well and good until you need it in a hurry. The last thing you want to do in an emergency is have to fumble around getting to the extinguisher, especially if you're packed full of gear in the back. IMHO any extinguisher not accessible from the drivers seat is not in the right spot. Trust me, I speak from experience. When my Tcase grenaded on the highway and the whole underside of Gruff was on fire from the fluid, having the extinguisher on the side of the seat where I could grab it and put the flames out in a few seconds was the difference between a few toasted wires vs who know how much more damage. Hell, it probably would have burnt down if I didn't even have an extinguisher :crazyeyes:

FE.jpg

wjtstudios

Hooked
After my fuel line ruptured a little over a week ago I realized the same thing that Ddays said. If it had ignited, there is no way I would have gotten my extinguisher out of the back of the Jeep in time. With my kids in the car when it happened, it needs to be in an instantly accessible position. I bought an H3R halguard and their mount and quick release. It will be mount on my drivers seat. I’ll post up pics as soon as I have it installed.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
After my fuel line ruptured a little over a week ago I realized the same thing that Ddays said. If it had ignited, there is no way I would have gotten my extinguisher out of the back of the Jeep in time. With my kids in the car when it happened, it needs to be in an instantly accessible position. I bought an H3R halguard and their mount and quick release. It will be mount on my drivers seat. I’ll post up pics as soon as I have it installed.

Please do!

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug

Mounting the extinguisher in the rear of the Jeep is all well and good until you need it in a hurry. The last thing you want to do in an emergency is have to fumble around getting to the extinguisher, especially if you're packed full of gear in the back. IMHO any extinguisher not accessible from the drivers seat is not in the right spot. Trust me, I speak from experience. When my Tcase grenaded on the highway and the whole underside of Gruff was on fire from the fluid, having the extinguisher on the side of the seat where I could grab it and put the flames out in a few seconds was the difference between a few toasted wires vs who know how much more damage. Hell, it probably would have burnt down if I didn't even have an extinguisher :crazyeyes:

View attachment 309742

I like this option! I was going to put a mag light there but I’ll go with the extinguisher instead. That’s actually where I had it but it had gotten lodged in there and I couldnt get it out. (Somebody had accidentally caught a 5gal gas can on fire so we were in a bit of a hurry)

fiend

Caught the Bug
I have a small HCR with a Drake mount under the front of the passenger seat (photo). I can reach that from the driver seat quickly and without the need to open the driver door.

I also have a larger HCR on a Drake mount on the slanted part of the roll bar, in the cargo area of the Jeep.

The thinking is that I can get started on fire suppression immediately with the small extinguisher, while someone else can grab the larger extinguisher for back up. IMG_4670.jpg

Coop

Caught the Bug
Based on Ddays experience, I’m moving mine to the drivers seat. My mount on the rear harness bar is nice, but getting it quickly is what counts.

zimm

Caught the Bug
You don't need to mount it. Keep a 2.5 pounder on the side of the driver's seat. It's never moved out of place. More importantly, it's easy to grab AFTER you exit the jeep. Back roll bar seems useless to me unless you run topless.

I like the AMEREX version over Kiddie or First Alert. Metal valve and heavy duty mounting bracket.

View attachment 309773

zimm

Caught the Bug
You might want to try laying it down like mine. It's really easy to kick the pin jumping in and out of the jeep in that position.

wjtstudios

Hooked
You might want to try laying it down like mine. It's really easy to kick the pin jumping in and out of the jeep in that position.

That’s why I just temp mounted it. I may end up doing that. I’ll run the Jeep for a couple days like that to see. I also bought this quick release mount with it. Image1536011626.844976.jpg
It has a rip cord release mechanism. I hate things moving or rattling around in the Jeep.

RSQCON

A fire extinguisher, specifically a dry chemical powder type, in the footwell area is a disaster waiting to happen. The mess those create if accidentally discharged is horrible but they are one of the more cost effective options so they are popular. I recommend extinguishers using Halotron as it's discharged as a liquid that evaporates so there is no mess to cleanup afterward AND it's just as effective. In addition it is much safer on electronic equipment.

wjtstudios

Hooked
A fire extinguisher, specifically a dry chemical powder type, in the footwell area is a disaster waiting to happen. The mess those create if accidentally discharged is horrible but they are one of the more cost effective options so they are popular. I recommend extinguishers using Halotron as it's discharged as a liquid that evaporates so there is no mess to cleanup afterward AND it's just as effective. In addition it is much safer on electronic equipment.

Totally agree. I need to work on the placement. After doing a bunch of research last week, I came to the same conclusion on the halotron. That’s why I ordered the Halguard from H3R. It will not damage electronics or leave a giant mess. They are pricey though.

Top Bottom