Sagging rear springs

Kenthejeepguy

‘11 jkru with 4” ReadyLift. I knew nothing when I had it put on in ‘12, and not sure I would go with that brand again. Anyway, carrying more cargo in the back (or maybe the springs are sagging) the backend needs an inch or two additional lift to be level. Any suggestions? Air adjustable shocks? Spacer kit? Change out the rear springs for metal cloak or some other better product?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I don't know how much weight you carry, but if it's a lot, I'd recommend the OME springs - either medium or heavy duty depending on your weight.

Otherwise, a set of EVO springs with a spacer to compensate for weight sag is also a good option.

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only problem with running coil springs designed to carry a lot more weight like the kind that OME makes, it's that it supports that weight with much stiffer springs. This will result in a harsh ride when unloaded. I personally would recommend that you run a softer coil and run coil spacers on top of them to help make up the difference. In other words, you might be okay with what you have now - just need spacers.

dytrdr5

I run synergy springs front and rear, from what I understand they can carry some good weight but not a lot before they sag, I solved this by going with airlift bags inside the springs. I can keep it soft for daily use and can pump them up and support 1,000 pounds when needed.

My Jeep used to sag a lot in the rear when I was fully loaded, now it’s nice and level regardless of what I’m carrying or towing

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run synergy springs front and rear, from what I understand they can carry some good weight but not a lot before they sag, I solved this by going with airlift bags inside the springs. I can keep it soft for daily use and can pump them up and support 1,000 pounds when needed.

My Jeep used to sag a lot in the rear when I was fully loaded, now it’s nice and level regardless of what I’m carrying or towing

eh, I've run air bags on both my TJ and JK early on and didn't really care for them.

main.php

Sure, they'll hold up the weight well but at the cost of ride comfort. Also, they will inhibit a full stuff.

Kenthejeepguy

The only problem with running coil springs designed to carry a lot more weight like the kind that OME makes, it's that it supports that weight with much stiffer springs. This will result in a harsh ride when unloaded. I personally would recommend that you run a softer coil and run coil spacers on top of them to help make up the difference. In other words, you might be okay with what you have now - just need spacers.

[emoji106] Good suggestion.

BaddestCross

[emoji106] Good suggestion.

Which is why I suggest getting the springs that support your every day weight and adding spacers to compensate for those times when you're adding more. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

For my particular case, the medium duty OMEs weren't stiff enough to carry my day-to-day so I had to move up to the HDs. I still had to add spacers to compensate for rear passengers or cargo. Maybe it's because I use 2" springs.

The nice thing about OME is that they have a chart on their website that gives recommended constant weight loads for their springs. Maybe other companies do the same, but I haven't seen them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Which is why I suggest getting the springs that support your every day weight and adding spacers to compensate for those times when you're adding more. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

For my particular case, the medium duty OMEs weren't stiff enough to carry my day-to-day so I had to move up to the HDs. I still had to add spacers to compensate for rear passengers or cargo. Maybe it's because I use 2" springs.

The nice thing about OME is that they have a chart on their website that gives recommended constant weight loads for their springs. Maybe other companies do the same, but I haven't seen them.

As I always say, ride comfort is 100% subjective and I would be the first to admit that my tastes aren't always what everyone else prefers. I've run the OME HD coils on Nemo, my old 2009 JKUX and I absolutely hated them. The ride they offered flat out sucked and I couldn't get rid of the fast enough. But of course, that's just my opinion.

main.php

BaddestCross

As I always say, ride comfort is 100% subjective and I would be the first to admit that my tastes aren't always what everyone else prefers. I've run the OME HD coils on Nemo, my old 2009 JKUX and I absolutely hated them. The ride they offered flat out sucked and I couldn't get rid of the fast enough. But of course, that's just my opinion.

main.php
Agreed about subjective... I like a soft ride as well and was concerned that the HD springs would be too stiff. My dad says my Jeep has a nicer ride than his Caddy.

For my particular setup they ended up being perfect, but if I added rear passengers or more cargo they would sag and ride on the bump stops. Adding the spacers raked the Jeep again, but solved the other problems.

For a Jeep that doesn't have a super heavy rear end, they would more than likely give a rock hard ride and I would not recommend them.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Damn James, what are you hauling around all the time that adds so much weight? [emoji848]

BaddestCross

Damn James, what are you hauling around all the time that adds so much weight? [emoji848]
The rear bumper and tire rack, gas cans, hi-lift, shovel, and spare tire are about 600 pounds.

Being a two door, I think the weight distribution is different than the 4 door which probably has a lot to do with why this setup works for me and still rides comfortably.

dytrdr5

eh, I've run air bags on both my TJ and JK early on and didn't really care for them.

main.php

Sure, they'll hold up the weight well but at the cost of ride comfort. Also, they will inhibit a full stuff.

Every option has their pros and cons, just have to figure out what pros you need and what cons you can live with

Kenthejeepguy

I’ve got the Smittybilt steel drawer, tool boxes, chainsaw, swing-away tire carrier, 35” spare (until I go 37”). Probable a good 500-600#. I like all the suggestions. I’ll have to ask some Jeeping buddies local here, too. Thanks

Kenthejeepguy

𝘗𝘶𝘵 1" 𝘛𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘧𝘭𝘦𝘹 𝘴𝘱𝘢𝘤𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘰𝘯 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘳. 𝘈𝘭𝘭 𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘭𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘭 𝘯𝘰𝘸. IMG_3629.jpg

SLO

Just trying to see if I can also post in italics.

Nope didn’t work. Why have I never seen that before? I want to annoy everyone with all bold or italic fonts!

Top Bottom