Sway bar question

JKEmmy

Hey everyone. Got a question. I have a 3.5 aev lift with 35s. Just bought some quick discos and while nosing around I can see that my sway bar looks like it's contacting my spring housing. The top bolt of the sway bar link doesn't look like it has good clearance from the spring housing. It seems to be the same on both sides so I don't think it's shifted. Has anyone had this issue? Do they sell longer sway bars? And if I get one will that throw off the angle 15360298958807380213549770578840.jpg 15360298958807380213549770578840.jpg of the sway bar connects?

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
No they don't have "longer sway bars".

Does that AEV retain the stock trackbar? If so, your axle is probably shifted over.

How "up" are the ends from level? They should be 5-10 degrees up.

The easiest solution is to get a cut off tool and shorten the end of the sway bar studs, or grind a little bit on the coil spring bucket for clearance. Or center your axle.

Here's mine, plenty of clearance with 10 degrees up.

View attachment 309833 View attachment 309834

MDK210

Maybe it’s just me but looks like they are installed wrong. Top bolt should be on the outside of the trackbar facing inward and the bottom bolt should be inside the axle facing away. Look at Zimm’s photo for reference. Right now you are pinching the trackbar together causing clearance issues, install it correctly and this will put everything back in it’s place assuming the trackbar isn’t bent now.

JKS recommends the swaybar be 0° with +/- 5° as an acceptable tolerance. I believe that’s how it is from the factory as well.

Also, if the axle was shifted over the OP would have one side with more clearance than the other which it doesn’t appear is the issues.

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'd like to see what the other side looks like. As the axle goes down (more lift) the axle is shifting towards the driver's side.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I dunno about "level". When I did my drag link flip (Evo) and used the dumb raised sway link brackets, I used too-short of a link. The bar was a "just" below level. When it was electronically disconnected, the sway bar end flipped over, bent the link and jammed. hard. I was trailside and had to unbolt the the mess to get the sway bar end to flop back around. Longer links fixed that issue.

View attachment 309836

JKEmmy

Thanks guys, I don't think the Axel is shifted it has the same clearance on both sides. My bar is probably 7 degrees up I'd guess. I bought some metalcloak quicks and there adjustable. So hopefully I can make them a little shorter maybe that will fix the issue. I was wondering if my bar was bent inwards as well but it'd be strange for it to be bent equal on both sides. I'll post up after I install the new ones and see if it fixes it and show y'all. Also here's both sides. 15360746633262432548823384807040.jpg IMG_20180904_082731152.jpg

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Thanks guys, I don't think the Axel is shifted it has the same clearance on both sides. My bar is probably 7 degrees up I'd guess. I bought some metalcloak quicks and there adjustable. So hopefully I can make them a little shorter maybe that will fix the issue. I was wondering if my bar was bent inwards as well but it'd be strange for it to be bent equal on both sides. I'll post up after I install the new ones and see if it fixes it and show y'all. Also here's both sides. View attachment 309845 View attachment 309846

That’s about how mine looks. It gets really close but doesn’t contact the coil perch. As previously mentioned, clearancing the coil perch is easy enough.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

My links on my RK kit are adjustable. I noticed the other day one link is slightly longer than the other side...maybe 6 threads longer. Deos that affect anything or does it not matter as long as it is attached? No lights have come on from the dash

PEACEMAKER1

Hey everyone. Got a question. I have a 3.5 aev lift with 35s. Just bought some quick discos and while nosing around I can see that my sway bar looks like it's contacting my spring housing. The top bolt of the sway bar link doesn't look like it has good clearance from the spring housing. It seems to be the same on both sides so I don't think it's shifted. Has anyone had this issue? Do they sell longer sway bars? And if I get one will that throw off the angle View attachment 309822 View attachment 309822 of the sway bar connects?

So usually with the quick disconnects, the bolt head on the upper end of your links gets very close to the bump stop bracket. I had the same concern when I did all my work on my rig. Mine was not interfering that I could tell, but I trimmed a small slot out of the bracket anyway, just in case, and to provide more peace of mind. Honestly, with some severe flex situation, I didn't know if it would interfere or not, but now it definitely will not ;)

My links on my RK kit are adjustable. I noticed the other day one link is slightly longer than the other side...maybe 6 threads longer. Deos that affect anything or does it not matter as long as it is attached? No lights have come on from the dash

You should make your links the same length. It will likely affect your steering/handling a little during normal driving because you are putting different pressure on the L and R side of the front axle.

So usually with the quick disconnects, the bolt head on the upper end of your links gets very close to the bump stop bracket. I had the same concern when I did all my work on my rig. Mine was not interfering that I could tell, but I trimmed a small slot out of the bracket anyway, just in case, and to provide more peace of mind. Honestly, with some severe flex situation, I didn't know if it would interfere or not, but now it definitely will not ;)

You should make your links the same length. It will likely affect your steering/handling a little during normal driving because you are putting different pressure on the L and R side of the front axle.

Thanks, guess there'd be no reason not to. it's a simple and quick fix

Top Bottom