VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - DIY Homemade Hardtop Hoist on a BUDGET

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More than its weight, and it does weigh quite a bit, the biggest reason why most people never remove the hard top on their Jeep JL Wrangler is because of its big bulky size. Even if you could manage to remove it on your own, it'd be crazy awkward to handle and then there’s the question of, where do you put it once it’s off? If you’re lucky enough to live in a home that has a garage and one that’s big enough for you to park your Jeep in, hanging your hard top from the ceiling is gonna be your best bet. Unfortunately, most of the aftermarket hoist systems available today are pretty pricey. So, what do you do when you want to open up your Jeep but don't want to spend a ton of money? Well, for about $25, you can make your own hard top hoist and this episode of the JL JOURNAL will show you how.

What You Will Need
(6) Screw Eyes
2x4 – Wood
(4) Tie-Down Straps
Drill
Drill Bit
Screw Driver
Stud Finder
Saw
Tape Measure

I hope you find this video to be helpful and please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

boardsurfer

It's not a real project if you dont have to drop everything and go back to Lowes in the middle of work. :cheesy:

I opted for a pair of 2x4s since the 2 door top seemed to lend itself to that setup pretty well.

IMG_20180904_192857.jpg

CharlesC

Did this same setup, works very well and been hanging same place for damn near a year[emoji106] btw- popcorn ceiling, not my idea, previous owner[emoji482] IMG_0362.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cocokrispes

Great video Eddie. I've been wanting to do this in my garage all year and haven't had the time. Only thing is store my top all summer.
are you able to hoist your top higher with that setup?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video!!! And to think you only had to make one return trip! Normally household projects result in countless trips back lol

LOL!! I know, amazing isn't it! :crazyeyes:

The freedom top sound effect... Funny Shit! Simple way to do it. Nice.

:D Glad you could appreciate it :)

It's not a real project if you dont have to drop everything and go back to Lowes in the middle of work. :cheesy:

I opted for a pair of 2x4s since the 2 door top seemed to lend itself to that setup pretty well.

Honestly, I don't know how you could do it otherwise on a 2-door.

How the hell did you get out of Lowes for under $100.00. That had to be a record.

:cheesy: I know, right?! :crazyeyes:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How tall is your ceiling in your garage? 9’ or 10’?

About 10 feet.

I don’t have a hard top but was still fun to watch

LOL, so glad to hear it :D

Did this same setup, works very well and been hanging same place for damn near a year[emoji106] btw- popcorn ceiling, not my idea, previous owner[emoji482]

Awesome :thumb:

Very cool Cindy and Eddie! Thanks for showing how easy this project is. Its now on my to do list.

Glad to hear we could be of help :cool:

Great video Eddie. I've been wanting to do this in my garage all year and haven't had the time. Only thing is store my top all summer.
are you able to hoist your top higher with that setup?

Yup, can easily pull it up higher, I just didn't because I have a light above it.

Jjgibby523

Grat video - thanks for posting it! Most straightforward DIY top lift video I think I’ve seen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lampltr

Very professionally done vid Eddie, thank you. Will take some serious looking in to as well as height measurements of the garage upon my return to the states in a few weeks. Pima County Arizona home garages specially built to house your new Fiat :rock: Just trying to locate a place that could fit my dually in the driveway was a chore let alone HOA's coming out with guidelines of what you are allowed to own for a vehicle, no shit. My case, several locations that stated nothing over a 3/4 ton. Cannot block sidewalks yada yada yada...morons with too much time on their hands. :D

benatc1

Hooked
nice work! always wanted to make one of these but never did, at least now i don't have to try and figure out how to make it, Thanks!

Top Bottom