Need advice for lift on 2 door jk

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
Up to 2.5" you will be ok with what a regular lift kit will include, above that then your getting into new driveshafts, control arms, upgrading steering components.

And how hard you trail with it, is another story.

BaddestCross

So basically 2.5 with some 35” tires should not require new control arms or drive shafts

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
At 2.5" your pinion will be off enough to be noticably flighty on the highway, but still okay enough once you get used to it.

Your drive shaft will fail since it will be in a constant state of pinch. How long will it take? It depends. I drove mine at 2.5" for about a year before they blew and started making noise.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

BaddestCross

So I guess it just comes down to a money thing. Do it all now or sprinkle it out over time as things may start to break

Sprinkle...why fix if it ain't broken.
Lol. That's what I did. When I went to 35s, I gusseted my front axle and installed front Chromoly axle shafts. Over the next year I collected parts from other guys here and any sale I could find.

I had my arms and drive shafts installed along with my regear since they all sort of work together and once I found my used 37s, I raised her up a little more.

Patience saves you money. Doing things in the wrong order with substandard parts costs you more in the long run.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

MDK210

As others said, at 2.5” that’s about max and 3” is when you better keep a serious eye out. I run a 3.5” lift on 37’s with the stock D30 (only 15K miles on Jeep) and instead of strengthening the D30 I’m gonna wait till next year or when it detonates and get a aftermarket D44. Winter is near and my last trip to Moab is coming up so we’ll take it easy, have some fun and cross our fingers. 15K miles in over 2yrs I don’t drive much at all and rarely hit the highway so I’m hoping the easy life will pay off.

Hell my buddy has a 2dr w/4.5 lift and only an aftermarket front shaft which is weird since you typically want to address the rear shaft first on a 2dr. Damn rear shaft is stock and pinched to high hell but it’s still kicking albeit a grenade waiting to explode.

As they say your mileage may vary (YMMV)

Last edited:

MDK210

So I guess it just comes down to a money thing. Do it all now or sprinkle it out over time as things may start to break

If you just want a 2” or 2.5” lift and a max of 35” tire then it’s easy to get away with certain things. Running a 3” lift or more and you’ll be forced/should buy a lot of the supporting mods. This is the money pit height and can range from $5-8K to have it done right all at once but also depends on a number of factors (e.g. companies, labor rates, wheels/tires, etc) . This does not include axles or gear changes...

I’m currently going through this so if you wanna see bank statements let me know ha.

kellyk

If you just want a 2” or 2.5” lift and a max of 35” tire then it’s easy to get away with certain things. Running a 3” lift or more and you’ll be forced/should buy a lot of the supporting mods. This is the money pit height and can range from $5-8K to have it done right all at once but also depends on a number of factors (e.g. companies, labor rates, wheels/tires, etc) . This does not include axles or gear changes...

I’m currently going through this so if you wanna see bank statements let me know ha.

I’ve not even considered axles or gears because I probably will not go above 35s. My ultimate goal is 3.5 lift, just didn’t want to have to do all the extras so that’s why I started thinking about the 2.5 instead but if I will eventually need to do them anyway I might as well go for broke and get what I wanted originally. The only thing I will wait on is going to be the shafts.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So some of your questions have been answered but from what I can tell you thru experience is that you will want front lower control arms with a 2.5” lift. Most lifts are designed for 4 doors so they will lift the 2 door higher than intended. When I ran my teraflex 2.5” kit I was closer to 3.5” and that was with aftermarket bumpers, sliders, and other goodies on the jeep weighing it down. I used to wander all over the highway. I later added front lower arms and rear upper arms even tho I still had the stock rear drive shaft. The jeep handled much better after that.

kellyk

So some of your questions have been answered but from what I can tell you thru experience is that you will want front lower control arms with a 2.5” lift. Most lifts are designed for 4 doors so they will lift the 2 door higher than intended. When I ran my teraflex 2.5” kit I was closer to 3.5” and that was with aftermarket bumpers, sliders, and other goodies on the jeep weighing it down. I used to wander all over the highway. I later added front lower arms and rear upper arms even tho I still had the stock rear drive shaft. The jeep handled much better after that.

That sounds even better! I really want the 3.5, but if I can get that height by just going with the 2.5 like yourself then I’m cool with that. I’m looking right now at the teraflex 2.5 ST 2 with falcon shocks. It only comes with front lowers, they don’t offer rear arms until the 3” kit. And that comes with front lower, and rear upper and lowers. Not a bad price for everything they’re offering, just wish it was a more simple process.

kellyk

That sounds even better! I really want the 3.5, but if I can get that height by just going with the 2.5 like yourself then I’m cool with that. I’m looking right now at the teraflex 2.5 ST 2 with falcon shocks. It only comes with front lowers, they don’t offer rear arms until the 3” kit. And that comes with front lower, and rear upper and lowers. Not a bad price for everything they’re offering, just wish it was a more simple process.

By the way how is stock rear shaft holding up?

Top Bottom