Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flatbed toy / Jeep hauler.

Been Around the Block Gobicon2017's Avatar

Flatbed toy / Jeep hauler.

Hey,
    Im in the market for a flatbed hauler for my Jeep. Does anyone have or recommend a certain size or brand. Most likely gonna pull with wifes Tahoe maybe f350 work truck. Something similar to this.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile appIMG_0326.JPG
    Last edited by Gobicon2017; 09-06-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    Gobicon 2017 JKU Recon build

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=51738

Knows a Thing or Two RockinAZJK's Avatar
    With the JKU Id go for an 18 minimum and try to go for 86 wide or larger. 16 fits just fine but is tight if you want to put any gear (coolers, grills, etc) in front or behind the jeep. I run 1-1/4 wheel spacers with 13.50 wide stt pros and it was tight at a trailer width of 84. Also highly advise no rails personally.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RockinAZJK View Post
    With the JKU Id go for an 18 minimum and try to go for 86 wide or larger. 16 fits just fine but is tight if you want to put any gear (coolers, grills, etc) in front or behind the jeep. I run 1-1/4 wheel spacers with 13.50 wide stt pros and it was tight at a trailer width of 84. Also highly advise no rails personally.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Deck-over is nice, 18-22

Quote Originally Posted by TrainWreck618 View Post
    Deck-over is nice, 18-22

Thanks. Those would definitely be an option.

I came thiiiiiis close to picking up a 20' gooseneck deckover last month but just couldn't bring myself to spend $5k on a trailer that will see limited use. I tried really hard to justify it too. To each his own, but I'm going to redirect the money back into the Jeep instead. Spyntech hubs and an Atlas TCase will help with the cross-country highway miles and wear and tear on the front end....

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    Drive over fenders are nice. Tandem axle and trailer brakes.

Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    Just ended up buying a trailer recently to haul my 2 door. I ended up with a PJ 20'. I was trying to find an 18' but new wasnt in my price range so when I found a used 20' for a good price I snagged it. Its definitely bigger than I need for the 2dr and I agree with the 18' recommendation. As far as width I have 13.50 wide coopers with 1.5" wheel spacers and I come in right at 83" wide. A ton of trailers that are advertised as 7' wide are really 82" between the wheel wells and i only found a few that were 83" wide PJ being one of them and it fits but I rub when loading.

As far as the drive over fenders go while that might be nice you have to make sure when loading your jeeps tires will not sit at the wheel well if it isnt wide enough. In my case the drive over I looked at was still 82" at the fenders but when loaded I still needed my jeep tires between the wheel wells so that didnt help me at all.

Pic for reference

20180817_191722.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Just ended up buying a trailer recently to haul my 2 door. I ended up with a PJ 20'. I was trying to find an 18' but new wasnt in my price range so when I found a used 20' for a good price I snagged it. Its definitely bigger than I need for the 2dr and I agree with the 18' recommendation. As far as width I have 13.50 wide coopers with 1.5" wheel spacers and I come in right at 83" wide. A ton of trailers that are advertised as 7' wide are really 82" between the wheel wells and i only found a few that were 83" wide PJ being one of them and it fits but I rub when loading.

As far as the drive over fenders go while that might be nice you have to make sure when loading your jeeps tires will not sit at the wheel well if it isnt wide enough. In my case the drive over I looked at was still 82" at the fenders but when loaded I still needed my jeep tires between the wheel wells so that didnt help me at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Great info. Just what were looking for. I hope to find one in need of minor care since it will only be used from south Texas to Colorado and beyond. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I currently have a 24' PJ B6 running tandem 7k torsion axles. I bought the trailer primarily for hauling the Jeep but I also wanted to be able to put a crew cab long bed truck on it if needed. The biggest thing to consider when buying a trailer isn't the length...it's the weight. First thing I would do is go weigh your Jeep. I mention this because a good majority of trailers on the market will come with 3500lb axles and the trailer will have a 7k GVWR. If you take a 20' PJ B5 trailer with those axles the trailer alone weighs approximately 2500lb so it only leaves you with a load capacity of 4500lb. So my suggestion is get whatever length you want but opt for 5200lb axles. PJ rates their drive over fenders a 4000lb and they are bomb proof. I would a PJ B5 or B6 over a deck over, as previously recommended, because it will keep the COG lower. Pulling with a Tahoe or Suburban will most likely put you over the rated towing capacity. If this is a big deal for you there are some lighter weight aluminum trailers. Aluma offers an 8218HWB model but you won't find many of these on the used market. My current trailer and Jeep setup puts me at somewhere between 10-11k which is way over what a Tahoe is rated to tow.

Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    As far as the drive over fenders go while that might be nice you have to make sure when loading your jeeps tires will not sit at the wheel well if it isnt wide enough...
    Huh? Drive over fenders are meant to hold weight on them so there is no issue parking the Jeep with the tires up on the fender.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast