Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flatbed toy / Jeep hauler.

Been Around the Block Gobicon2017's Avatar

Flatbed toy / Jeep hauler.

Than you : RSQCON

Well we were looking at pulling with the Tahoe because of the distance and having the kids in tow as well. Thinking weight distribution hitch maybe. Either way if and when I pick up a trailer week get the weights figured out. As back up I have my F350 diesel which will handle it just fine.

Gobicon2017
    Last edited by Gobicon2017; 09-10-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    Gobicon 2017 JKU Recon build

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=51738

I should also mention that if you have 3rd or 4th generation Tahoe the hitch is built into the rear crossmember. The crossmember is rated at 10k with 1k of tongue weight but people have reported seeing the crossmember flex because it's part of the rear crumple zone or whatever they call it. Depending on how much your Jeeps weighs you may be forced into getting an aluminum trailer. I have a 3500HD Suburban on order and am looking at that 8218HWB so that I can leave 10-20% of that 10k hitch capacity as a cushion. Lastly the wheelbase on a Tahoe is pretty short so the shorter the trailer you get the less any sway will affect your tow vehicle,

Been Around the Block Gobicon2017's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RSQCON View Post
    I should also mention that if you have 3rd or 4th generation Tahoe the hitch is built into the rear crossmember. The crossmember is rated at 10k with 1k of tongue weight but people have reported seeing the crossmember flex because it's part of the rear crumple zone or whatever they call it. Depending on how much your Jeeps weighs you may be forced into getting an aluminum trailer. I have a 3500HD Suburban on order and am looking at that 8218HWB so that I can leave 10-20% of that 10k hitch capacity as a cushion. Lastly the wheelbase on a Tahoe is pretty short so the shorter the trailer you get the less any sway will affect your tow vehicle,
    Ok, well I wanna say the Tahoe has 8600lb toeing compactly not sure on trailer yet but I’m assuming it should way somewhere around 3k by its self. The well add the keeps weight which is around 5600 or so. It’s gonna be close but if all else fails I put the miles on the ford lol.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Gobicon 2017 JKU Recon build

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=51738

Flatbed toy / Jeep hauler.

I thought the 3500 HD suburbans were beefed for armor, not towing capacity. GM listed them as a max tow of 3k? Do they make a different level for towing as well?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar

Huh? Drive over fenders are meant to hold weight on them so there is no issue parking the Jeep with the tires up on the fender.
    I understand that however the drive over fenders on the trailers near me were 82" wide and my jeep is 83" wide. If you look at my pic my jeeps rear tires sit right at the fenders so I would have to either leave my jeep far back enough to not tie it down on the fenders or have only 1/2" per tire on the fenders to tie it down.... neither of which I thought would be safe. so for my application for the trailers I found in my area the drive over fenders didnt work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    I thought the 3500 HD suburbans were beefed for armor, not towing capacity. GM listed them as a max tow of 3k? Do they make a different level for towing as well?
    You are correct. I plan on taking mine to the DOT to challenge the rating using a 3500HD Silverado truck as a comparison. I have looked at many of the individual components including the engine, transmission, axles, brakes, wheels, tires, springs, torsion bars, etc etc and they are either identical or very similar. That truck in and extended cab long bed configuration (if I remember correctly) has a similar wheelbase to the Suburban and it's rated to tow 13.5k. There is a process for challenging DOT ratings but you have to get through all the weeds first.

Desertrunner I don't recall my width but all I do is drive one side up on the fender and keep the other one flat on the deck. Works like a charm. Yes theoretically you are not placing more weight on one side. To counter than I drive my driverside tires on the fender since the gas tank in all on the passenger side.
    Last edited by RSQCON; 09-10-2018 at 09:31 PM.

Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar

Desertrunner I don't recall my width but all I do is drive one side up on the fender and keep the other one flat on the deck. Works like a charm. Yes theoretically you are not placing more weight on one side. To counter than I drive my driverside tires on the fender since the gas tank in all on the passenger side.
    That makes sence. This is my first trailer and the first time I have ever loaded a vehicle so it seemed easier to me to just find a trailer that my jeep would fit between the wheel wells. Definitely more than 1 way to get the job done though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

I have seen guys cut wood blocks to match the drive over fenders to make thinks fit evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    I have seen guys cut wood blocks to match the drive over fenders to make thinks fit evenly.
    That is the plan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12