Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 99 XJ Leaf Springs

  1. #1
    Nothing but a Thing Slimebones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Front Range, Colorado
    Posts
    1,137

    99 XJ Leaf Springs

    Replacing rear leaf springs and shackles.. Never done before. Any tips or tricks you can share?

  2. #2
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    Replacing rear leaf springs and shackles.. Never done before. Any tips or tricks you can share?
    Right up my alley. Lots of penetrating oil ahead of time. Impact gun. Impact Swivels if needed. If you're changing the entire assembly, bushings should be new. Add new plastic tip inserts between the leafs if they should be there. Use new ubolts and retorque after about 500 miles or so. Once you get both springs hung, the little center bolt head has to sit inside the bore of the spring perch on both sides when you jack up the axle.

    Do both sides at one time and put an extra jack under the pinion yoke or the axle could flip.
    Jack it up high because the axle will droop pretty good. Shocks and sway bar links first then springs. Keep an eye on the brake line(s) when lowering the axle.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  3. #3
    Nothing but a Thing Slimebones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Front Range, Colorado
    Posts
    1,137
    Yeah, brake line seems like a concern for sure. Extra jack at pinion is wise. And what do you mean plastic tips?. My research has not shown those.

  4. #4
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    Yeah, brake line seems like a concern for sure. Extra jack at pinion is wise. And what do you mean plastic tips?. My research has not shown those.
    Here's a link with some pics. If they aren't there on the old or new springs, don't worry about it. They just provide a cushion between the leafs to eliminate noise:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf...w=800&bih=1280
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  5. #5
    Nothing but a Thing Slimebones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Front Range, Colorado
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Here's a link with some pics. If they aren't there on the old or new springs, don't worry about it. They just provide a cushion between the leafs to eliminate noise:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf...w=800&bih=1280
    I have been looking into that since you mentioned it. It appears they were on the stock springs, but do not know if they are on the Crown's that I ordered. Hope I did not make a bad purchase with that brand if they do not have them. Ordered from Quadratec. Should I maybe get another brand?

  6. #6
    Meme King WJCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    27,965
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    I have been looking into that since you mentioned it. It appears they were on the stock springs, but do not know if they are on the Crown's that I ordered. Hope I did not make a bad purchase with that brand if they do not have them. Ordered from Quadratec. Should I maybe get another brand?
    You can add them with a pry bar if the holes are there. If not and there is noise, you can drill holes and add them. Look around the web and see if others have commented if this became an issue. You can find out quickly if this will be an issue. They are there strictly to eliminate noise, no other function.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES



    Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

    Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

  7. #7
    Nothing but a Thing Slimebones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Front Range, Colorado
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    You can add them with a pry bar if the holes are there. If not and there is noise, you can drill holes and add them. Look around the web and see if others have commented if this became an issue. You can find out quickly if this will be an issue. They are there strictly to eliminate noise, no other function.
    Much thanks for the helpful advise.

  8. #8
    Nothing but a Thing jdofmemi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Menifee CA
    Posts
    1,840
    Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    You can add them with a pry bar if the holes are there. If not and there is noise, you can drill holes and add them. Look around the web and see if others have commented if this became an issue. You can find out quickly if this will be an issue. They are there strictly to eliminate noise, no other function.
    I agree that they help the noise level, but have also heard that since they reduced friction in the pack as the pack flexes, it helps improve the ride as well.

  9. #9
    Nothing but a Thing Slimebones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Front Range, Colorado
    Posts
    1,137
    Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    I agree that they help the noise level, but have also heard that since they reduced friction in the pack as the pack flexes, it helps improve the ride as well.
    Makes sense.

Similar Threads

  1. Renewed leaf springs?
    By Oreo_penguin536 in forum General Off-Road Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-26-2018, 07:58 PM
  2. How to raise leaf springs?
    By GraniteCrystal in forum General Off-Road Tech
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-30-2016, 05:35 AM
  3. 91 Xj leaf springs
    By Dustless in forum Wanted (Active Members ONLY)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 11:17 PM
  4. Sagging rear leaf springs
    By Duds0311 in forum Jeep Cherokee & Grand Cherokee
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2015, 12:07 AM
  5. Leaf Spring Question
    By 94YJBeaver in forum Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 05:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
“wayoflife” is a moniker that I’ve been using for 20 years now and I chose it because I think it does a great job of explaining, in simple terms, the passion I have for Jeeps and the Jeep way of life. This is a lifestyle that transcends age, gender and race as the only thing you need to be a part of it is a love for the outdoors, a desire to explore, a yearning to take on a challenge and a will to conquer it. Over the years, Cindy and I have attempted to capture the essence of this lifestyle through photographs and videos and share it with others around the world. And, this is how WAYALIFE was born.
Join us
WATCH OUR VIDEOS