Thread: 99 XJ Leaf Springs

99 XJ Leaf Springs

Replacing rear leaf springs and shackles.. Never done before. Any tips or tricks you can share?

Quote Originally Posted by Slimebones View Post
    Replacing rear leaf springs and shackles.. Never done before. Any tips or tricks you can share?
    Right up my alley. Lots of penetrating oil ahead of time. Impact gun. Impact Swivels if needed. If you're changing the entire assembly, bushings should be new. Add new plastic tip inserts between the leafs if they should be there. Use new ubolts and retorque after about 500 miles or so. Once you get both springs hung, the little center bolt head has to sit inside the bore of the spring perch on both sides when you jack up the axle.

Do both sides at one time and put an extra jack under the pinion yoke or the axle could flip.
    Jack it up high because the axle will droop pretty good. Shocks and sway bar links first then springs. Keep an eye on the brake line(s) when lowering the axle.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Yeah, brake line seems like a concern for sure. Extra jack at pinion is wise. And what do you mean plastic tips?. My research has not shown those.

Yeah, brake line seems like a concern for sure. Extra jack at pinion is wise. And what do you mean plastic tips?. My research has not shown those.
    Here's a link with some pics. If they aren't there on the old or new springs, don't worry about it. They just provide a cushion between the leafs to eliminate noise:

https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf...w=800&bih=1280
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Here's a link with some pics. If they aren't there on the old or new springs, don't worry about it. They just provide a cushion between the leafs to eliminate noise:

https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf...w=800&bih=1280
    I have been looking into that since you mentioned it. It appears they were on the stock springs, but do not know if they are on the Crown's that I ordered. Hope I did not make a bad purchase with that brand if they do not have them. Ordered from Quadratec. Should I maybe get another brand?

I have been looking into that since you mentioned it. It appears they were on the stock springs, but do not know if they are on the Crown's that I ordered. Hope I did not make a bad purchase with that brand if they do not have them. Ordered from Quadratec. Should I maybe get another brand?
    You can add them with a pry bar if the holes are there. If not and there is noise, you can drill holes and add them. Look around the web and see if others have commented if this became an issue. You can find out quickly if this will be an issue. They are there strictly to eliminate noise, no other function.

You can add them with a pry bar if the holes are there. If not and there is noise, you can drill holes and add them. Look around the web and see if others have commented if this became an issue. You can find out quickly if this will be an issue. They are there strictly to eliminate noise, no other function.
    Much thanks for the helpful advise.

I agree that they help the noise level, but have also heard that since they reduced friction in the pack as the pack flexes, it helps improve the ride as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jdofmemi View Post
    I agree that they help the noise level, but have also heard that since they reduced friction in the pack as the pack flexes, it helps improve the ride as well.
    Makes sense.