Jeep introduces Gorilla glass

sipafz

Caught the Bug
2 year limited warranty. Price not advertised. I’m sure it’s regional or maybe as much as they can get:

IMG_7740.jpg

MDK210

Got an email on this as well and went into my spam folder ha. Easily $500 but I bet $700...place your bets! Another way for Mopar to take Jeepers money cause they still haven’t improved the windshield design on the JL either. If I bought a JL I’d be questioning why this isn’t already standard and If Mopar was cool they would contact all original JK owners for a free upgrade. Design flaw for sure.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Got an email on this as well and went into my spam folder ha. Easily $500 but I bet $700...place your bets! Another way for Mopar to take Jeepers money cause they still haven’t improved the windshield design on the JL either. If I bought a JL I’d be questioning why this isn’t already standard and If Mopar was cool they would contact all original JK owners for a free upgrade. Design flaw for sure.
The only design flaw is it looks like a jeep... Ie vertical. Lol

I think it is $550 msrp.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

I have 2 vehicles in my garage. A jeep with its little vertical windshield, and a honda pilot with around 30 square feet of curved glass up front.

The pilot has the cracked windshield. :rolleyes2:

pop2tu

I would have a hard time paying that much, I get free windshields through my insurance. Of course my wife has been telling me for the last year to get a new one. I just ask why it will just break again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MDK210

Design flaw?
That windshields are glass?
The design is how all the materials are used in unison so glass is the material and the design flaw is the angle of the glass. A recent video by The Fast Lane Car YouTube channel interviewed the Jeep JL’s Chief Engineer and at the 1:45min mark he’s asked about using Gorilla glass. He goes on saying it’s not necessary, the Jeep windshield has been stress tested but then he acknowledges the vertical design of the windshield as being prone to cracks and it’s a “Jeep” look. This interview was less than a month ago and now we get these Gorilla glass emails from Mopar...that’s odd:thinking:

MDK210

I would have a hard time paying that much, I get free windshields through my insurance. Of course my wife has been telling me for the last year to get a new one. I just ask why it will just break again.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Do you have to file a claim for any work done to your windshield? I assume you do and insurance companies take ALL claims into account when reassessing your coverage at the time of policy renewal. Parking lot windshield repair folks have signs claiming it’s free but it’s not, it’s an insurance claim and they add up. My insurance company, USAA, offers the same coverage but when I asked them straight up they said it’s still taken into account. Maybe you got lucky and your rates haven’t changed but nothing is truly free with insurance companies and since I replace mine at least once a year I have a basic $250 windshield installed everytime. All glass has to meet a certain safety rating so whatever.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
The design is how all the materials are used in unison so glass is the material and the design flaw is the angle of the glass. A recent video by The Fast Lane Car YouTube channel interviewed the Jeep JL’s Chief Engineer and at the 1:45min mark he’s asked about using Gorilla glass. He goes on saying it’s not necessary, the Jeep windshield has been stress tested but then he acknowledges the vertical design of the windshield as being prone to cracks and it’s a “Jeep” look. This interview was less than a month ago and now we get these Gorilla glass emails from Mopar...that’s odd:thinking:

Yeah, because JK's and JL's are the first Jeeps to have this vertical windshield design flaw. :rolleyes2:

MDK210

Yeah, because JK's and JL's are the first Jeeps to have this vertical windshield design flaw. :rolleyes2:
I think you’re missing the point. It’s obviously a problem and acknowledged by their own engineer so why not improve it? They added more slant to the JL windshield but I believe that was for improved aerodynamics. Just stating facts.
It baffles me that you don’t even believe the guy who designed the damn vehicle.

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I think you’re missing the point. It’s obviously a problem and acknowledged by their own engineer so why not improve it? They added more slant to the JL windshield but I believe that was for improved aerodynamics. Just stating facts.
It's not a design problem and any of their engineers would actually deny such a claim not acknowledge it. The added slant was purely for aero.

When a rock hits a windshield that is 2-3x more inclined it transmits a ton more energy into the glass vs the rock skipping off. You can't beat physics.

MDK210

It's not a design problem and any of their engineers would actually deny such a claim not acknowledge it. The added slant was purely for aero.

When a rock hits a windshield that is 2-3x more inclined it transmits a ton more energy into the glass vs the rock skipping off. You can't beat physics.

You should watch the video

Seahawkfan

Hooked
It baffles me that you don’t even believe the guy who designed the damn vehicle.

Yea if they add more angle, then it really wouldn't be a Wrangler anymore. That's the design of a Wrangler since what ? 1941 It's not HIS design it's the design of a Jeep Wrangler just modern.:beer:

Ddays

Hooked

You should watch the video

Dude, why do you even own a Jeep? They've only been making these fucking things the same way since 1941.

Like Gecko said - Glass + rock = broken glass

Top Bottom